TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
TigerForce said:
The best. Just wish some FTA channels could put it back on air no matter how late.
They are on 10s new app 10Access but it’s a paid app. I tried the 30 day free trial but wouldn’t pay ten bucks a month to watch the D grade rubbish that you wouldn’t watch even if it was free.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
tigertim said:
They are on 10s new app 10Access but it’s a paid app. I tried the 30 day free trial but wouldn’t pay ten bucks a month to watch the D grade rubbish that you wouldn’t watch even if it was free.

These 5 channels have 3 or 4 extra channels repeating and duplicating the same shows. Why can't they just put something original on again? Even some 70s Aussie dramas.....unless they've done the Ch 2 & Ch 7 stupidity and over-recorded the tapes...

I'm a fan of old B&W shows, and enjoyed watching the Edgar Wallace Mysteries at 4:30am every Saturday night on 9GEM last year. More please!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
scottyturnerscurse said:
Good rec. Enjoying, well, as much as one can with the subject matter. Cheers.

yeah, sorry to harp on about it but I'd say it keeps getting better and better, except it started out excellent and keeps being excellent. Ep. 3 was very confronting.

But there is good news too - the amazing resilience and self-sacrifice of people who were there is truly amazing, in a grim Soviet kind of way. And the things people were willing to do were incredible.

There is a good podcast about the show where they talk about the research, what they left out, what they changed for the sake of the story and what they didn't change. They mention that whatever you think about the corruption and brutality of the Soviet system, ordinary people were willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of the community and the Soviet state. Podcast available here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHPCYtWYQ

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Good Omens. 6 part mini-series based on Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman novel. Worth watching if you enjoy Pratchett novels.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The Deadwood movie was a pretty satisfying conclusion, although it reminded me how robbed we were that HBO prematurely culled it. Critics are gushing over it, slightly over the top due to the GoT debacle methinks, but it is good.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Was unlucky enough to see 10 minutes of the Logies.

Even Unluckier to have to sit through an embarrassingly unfunny effort from that *smile* Peter Hellier.

I'm pretty sure I just witnessed him kill off the Logies single handedly.

What a low brow @#%rwit he is.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Was unlucky enough to see 10 minutes of the Logies.

Even Unluckier to have to sit through an embarrassingly unfunny effort from that ***** Peter Hellier.

I'm pretty sure I just witnessed him kill off the Logies single handedly.

What a low brow @#%rwit he is.

I'm not a fan of Tom Gleeson, but his deadpan comedy can be funny at times, and last night used some of it in an anti-PC way. Winning the Gold for a virtually unknown quiz show doesn't seem right though. Best part of the night was Kerry O'Brien winning the HOF.

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
The Loudest Voice - strong start to this seven-parter about Roger Ailes and Fox News. Russell Crowe is perfect.

Reactions: 1 users

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
I'm not a fan of Tom Gleeson, but his deadpan comedy can be funny at times, and last night used some of it in an anti-PC way. Winning the Gold for a virtually unknown quiz show doesn't seem right though. Best part of the night was Kerry O'Brien winning the HOF.
Tom Gleeson- The poverty stricken man's Norman Gunston. Ok, Tom, get a ciggie commercial (and jam with Zappa) like the little bleeder and you've won me...

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Just binged through GOT and what was excellent viewing in the first few seasons quickly turned into a steaming pile of *smile*. All the effort in building up the plot lines and characters just went out the window. D and D should stick to blowing things up instead of story writing.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not for everyone, but 8 part series Fosse/Verdon (about All That Jazz/Cabaret director Bob Fosse and his artistic partner Gwen Verdon) is excellent. Sam Rockwell is fantastic as the creative, driven, womanising Verdon. Great 70s sets and costumes. Michelle Williams plays Verdon and she's always good.

I'm not really into musical theatre but will watch Rockwell in anything. I think this is on Netflix in Oz.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I watched the Catch-22 series. It was love at first sight for me with the novel (one for the book readers there), a work of absolute genius, mixing black humour with the absurd, the tragic, and the horror of war. A masterpiece, and one of my three novels of the 20th century (Grapes of Wrath, One Hundred Years of Solitude).

So, the series was a letdown. The book is laugh out loud hilarious, the show didn't make me laugh once. They destroyed the ending, mangled characters, changed or invented scenes. They just didn't get it. Nailed the horror of war, sure, but sideswiped the tragedy, and completely missed the absurdity.

The lead actor was good. Clooney horribly miscast.

I also watched Series 2 of Killing Eve. I won't be watching Series 3. Devolved from fascinating psychosexual thriller into by the numbers spy Maguffinathon. I worked out what I don't like about Sandra Oh: her acting. It's all 'neck-up', as we say. Too aware of the camera on her and delivering what she thinks should be the result, making her unbelievable.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I watched the Catch-22 series. It was love at first sight for me with the novel (one for the book readers there), a work of absolute genius, mixing black humour with the absurd, the tragic, and the horror of war. A masterpiece, and one of my three novels of the 20th century (Grapes of Wrath, One Hundred Years of Solitude).

So, the series was a letdown. The book is laugh out loud hilarious, the show didn't make me laugh once. They destroyed the ending, mangled characters, changed or invented scenes. They just didn't get it. Nailed the horror of war, sure, but sideswiped the tragedy, and completely missed the absurdity.

The lead actor was good. Clooney horribly miscast.

good take... did you see the 70s movie with Alan Arkin? I think it's really good, and is more to the spirit of the book. Critics generally didn't like it though. On the series, I ended up liking it very much although it is a very different tone to the book. Agree on Clooney being miscast - I found his role to be a bit forced. His production though, so he casts who he wants I guess.

I thought they got McWatt right, and Orr wrong. Yossarian right. The Doc wrong. Milo right. Colonel Cathcart right.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
good take... did you see the 70s movie with Alan Arkin? I think it's really good, and is more to the spirit of the book. Critics generally didn't like it though. On the series, I ended up liking it very much although it is a very different tone to the book. Agree on Clooney being miscast - I found his role to be a bit forced. His production though, so he casts who he wants I guess.

I thought they got McWatt right, and Orr wrong. Yossarian right. The Doc wrong. Milo right. Colonel Cathcart right.
Yeah, I've seen the movie. It was ok, M*A*S*H was better.

The guy who played the Doc is Clooney's producing partner, who directed a couple of the eps, so they both miscast themselves.

They got Nately wrong and pissed away the power of the wrath of his girl. They left out so many characters and opportunities for humour.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Look as though MasterChef is cooked.
Hosts can't agree to terms apparently, and George Calombaris is on the nose with pretty much everyone.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Look as though MasterChef is cooked.
Hosts can't agree to terms apparently, and George Calombaris is on the nose with pretty much everyone.
Apparently they wanted a 40% increase! That’s either backfired terribly or they purposely priced themselves out of it.