TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I'm halfway through season 3 and loving it.
Just finished season 4. Awesome. Gets better with every season. Unfortunately now I’ve only got one to go but they are making season 6 which will be out next year.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He's in Peaky Blinders isn't he?

Dunno, haven't watched that.

Here's a real blast from the past - the BBC Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 7 part series all the way from 1979, based on the John Le Carre book, with Alec Guinness . Amazing, great cast, plot, real sense of suspense. And it's on youtube!

Young 'uns might find it a bit slow, it's really a slow burn, and confusing if you haven't read the book. Looks dated but it was made in 1979 and set in the early/mid 70s so it makes sense.

They made a good film version of this in 2011 with Gary Oldman as Smiley (also Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, and a host of other great Brit actors) which is also a great period piece. try that if you haven't got the patience for the 7 part series.

Reactions: 1 users

Althom

Tiger Superstar
Jul 23, 2016
Dunno, haven't watched that.

Here's a real blast from the past - the BBC Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy 7 part series all the way from 1979, based on the John Le Carre book, with Alec Guinness . Amazing, great cast, plot, real sense of suspense. And it's on youtube!

Young 'uns might find it a bit slow, it's really a slow burn, and confusing if you haven't read the book. Looks dated but it was made in 1979 and set in the early/mid 70s so it makes sense.

They made a good film version of this in 2011 with Gary Oldman as Smiley (also Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, and a host of other great Brit actors) which is also a great period piece. try that if you haven't got the patience for the 7 part series.
Got it on DVD. Good series
Peaky Blinders is worth a watch. Only problem is 12-15 months between seasons and now season 5 is delayed even further due to CVOVID

Reactions: 1 user

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Just finished S1 of Cobra Kai (looking at the lives of Johnny & Daniel from Karate Kid).
Doesn't take itself too seriously. Enjoying it.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Just watched The Night of (2016 HBO). Young muslim guy Naz in meets a girl while "borrowing" his dad's cab, one thing leads to another and she winds up dead . Cast - Riz Ahmed as Naz, John Turturro as his extremely low-rent eczema suffering lawyer, Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar from The Wire) as Freddy the longterm jail kingpin who offers protection (but at what cost?) Did he do it? Will he even survive Rikers Island? will John Turturro ever get rid of his eczema?

Skinny weak student Naz

the_night_of_still_h_2016.jpg

Part jail house story, part whodunnit, part court-room drama.... great acting, well written but depressing as all *smile* and yet kind of uplifting as well. Jail time, the absurdities of the US "justice" system, and politics of race/class all well explored here.

Bulked up Jail Naz and Freddy

The-Night-Of-E7-Freddy-and-Naz-e1471847508257.jpg

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Just watched The Night of (2016 HBO). Young muslim guy Naz in meets a girl while "borrowing" his dad's cab, one thing leads to another and she winds up dead . Cast - Riz Ahmed as Naz, John Turturro as his extremely low-rent eczema suffering lawyer, Michael Kenneth Williams (Omar from The Wire) as Freddy the longterm jail kingpin who offers protection (but at what cost?) Did he do it? Will he even survive Rikers Island? will John Turturro ever get rid of his eczema?

Skinny weak student Naz

Part jail house story, part whodunnit, part court-room drama.... great acting, well written but depressing as all *smile* and yet kind of uplifting as well. Jail time, the absurdities of the US "justice" system, and politics of race/class all well explored here.

I watched this a few years ago. I remember it started well but fell away in the latter eps.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003

Skinny weak student Naz

Watched that when it was first released on Foxtel. Very good and well worth watching.

Platinum member

Tiger Matchwinner
Nov 30, 2015
Reservoir
I know this isn’t an exact science but wondering from people who have seen it if they’d think I’d like Yellowstone...

Most recent series I’m up to date with and enjoy are things like Ozark, billions, better call Saul. Loved breaking bad, Chernobyl etc

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I know this isn’t an exact science but wondering from people who have seen it if they’d think I’d like Yellowstone...

Most recent series I’m up to date with and enjoy are things like Ozark, billions, better call Saul. Loved breaking bad, Chernobyl etc
Haven't seen much of Yellowstone, but could recommend 'Leverage' on Amazon Prime, or 'Justified' on Stan. Just started 'Sneaky Pete' on Prime as well, and so far so good.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Raised By Wolves has started strong. First couple of episodes had Ridley Scott as the screenwriter.

Ted Lasso - Not bad. US Soccer coach gets brought to the UK to coach struggling Richmond FC. Don't look for anything deep or meaningful.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Raised By Wolves has started strong. First couple of episodes had Ridley Scott as the screenwriter.

Ted Lasso - Not bad. US Soccer coach gets brought to the UK to coach struggling Richmond FC. Don't look for anything deep or meaningful.
Yeah, watched the first 2 eps of Ted Lasso on Apple (as they were free...) and it was better than I thought it was gunna be.