TV shows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

TV shows

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Raised By Wolves has started strong. First couple of episodes had Ridley Scott as the screenwriter.

Ted Lasso - Not bad. US Soccer coach gets brought to the UK to coach struggling Richmond FC. Don't look for anything deep or meaningful.
Ted Lasso is a bit of fun.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Another vote for Ted Lasso, both the Americans are very likeable, I'm a big fan of Coach Beard personally. The team are probably the least interesting of the cast but hey, they are just football players. Hannah Waddingham is great as the bitchy Amazonian owner. All very predictable but the cast makes it work, good stuff.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Another vote for Ted Lasso, both the Americans are very likeable, I'm a big fan of Coach Beard personally. The team are probably the least interesting of the cast but hey, they are just football players. Hannah Waddingham is great as the bitchy Amazonian owner. All very predictable but the cast makes it work, good stuff.
Watched the latest episode this arvo. It's quality.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix last night. Very sobering and as a parent made me rethink my kids access to the 'net. *smile*, as an adult it made me rethink my access to the 'net

Reactions: 1 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Watched The Social Dilemma on Netflix last night. Very sobering and as a parent made me rethink my kids access to the 'net. *smile*, as an adult it made me rethink my access to the 'net
Saw it as well. When current and former execs of social media companies say they don't allow their kids on social media, I think you have to sit up and listen.

Here are some stats from a Journal of Abnormal Psychology study in the US:

Rates of depression between 2009 - 2017:

12 - 13yo: 47% increase
14 - 17yo: 60% increase
18 - 21yo: 46% increase

In addition, among young people, rates of suicidal thoughts, plans and attempts all increased significantly, and in some cases more than doubled, between 2008 and 2017.

Jean Twenge, a professor of psychology at San Diego State University in a Time magazine article Depression and Suicide Rates Are Rising Sharply in Young Americans, New Report Says. This May Be One Reason Why says you can't prove for sure what the cause is “but there was one change that impacted the lives of young people more than older people, and that was the growth of smartphones and digital media like social media, texting and gaming.”

These stats are horrific considering rates of depression/suicide were actually decreasing in the early to mid 2000s.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
We had a session on "Understanding Millennials" at work. Meant to help us understand and manage them better. Other than reinforcing the fact they are spoilt, petulant and aren't prepared to but in the groundwork to get to a position they aspire too, what fascinated me was how social media acceptance dictates their life. Here i was Instagram was really just quick happy snaps of the moment. How wrong was I. The amount of prep, planning, retakes and editing before the post a simple "here's me having breakfast" shot is scary. The amount, or lack of, likes/comments to a post/photo can really send them crashing.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Yep...they need that dopamine hit they get from likes.

Cyber-bulling is pretty full on for them. At least in our day, if you were bullied, it stopped when you walked out the school gate.

Fortunately my 2 kids are too young for smartphones/social media (although I shouldn't say that as many of their school mates have them) so the missus and I have decided no smartphone or social media and no screens in their bedrooms overnight. We'll get a communal dumb phone that they can both use.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Watching The Feed on SBS. Pretty good sci fi so far.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Put me down as a Ted Lasso fan. It's warm and funny and has a great cast. Jason Sudeikis is just so gosh darn likeable.

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Watched this following this recommendation and that led me to Lost, which I'd never seen a minute of but heard patchy things about.

It's a bloody long series and took some time but was a cracking show.

I'm not sure if it was due to watching it in a compressed way but I didn't feel the disappointment with the ending that I've heard a lot of people express. I thought it all tied together pretty well with plenty of scope to draw your own conclusions, which I like.

Now giving Schitt's Creek a go after the buzz recently. Pretty patchy but short and light after a couple of heavy going shows.
I watched Schitts Creek from the start. the first series is the worst and it is a pretty good show but think now it is way overhyped.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Same, downloaded all series of Schitts Creek last week. Season 2 seems better than the first.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched the Comey Rule on Stan. Very well done, Brendan Gleeson as Trumpy and Jeff Daniels as Jim Comey both excellent.

Episode 1 focussed on Comeys and the FBI handling of the Hilary Clinton emails and then episode 2 on Trump and Comeys brief relationship.

i just felt the subject matter wasn’t “meaty” enough.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Enjoying The Looming Tower on Prime Video. Jeff Daniels again this time as an FBI Director. It’s about the lead up to the 9/11 hit.

Also enjoying All or nothing: Tottenham Hotspurs. Always fascinating to see this fly on the wall sports docos . I think I read Richmond are the focus of a Prime Video one (presumably All or nothing) this season.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
We had a session on "Understanding Millennials" at work. Meant to help us understand and manage them better. Other than reinforcing the fact they are spoilt, petulant and aren't prepared to but in the groundwork to get to a position they aspire too, what fascinated me was how social media acceptance dictates their life. Here i was Instagram was really just quick happy snaps of the moment. How wrong was I. The amount of prep, planning, retakes and editing before the post a simple "here's me having breakfast" shot is scary. The amount, or lack of, likes/comments to a post/photo can really send them crashing.
Geez ... 10 years out of corporate world and this is what I am missing out on... What was the age cut off for those attending the workshop?
Do you have to like all their posts to get them to work?

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I think I read Richmond are the focus of a Prime Video one (presumably All or nothing) this season.

This is going to be pretty fascinating I reckon. ... watching during games you can see that Naitanui is sometimes miked up. Hope they don't cut the crap out of it.

Probably couldn't have landed on a more challenging / controversial season.

Off AFL site. ....

CAPTAINS Rory Sloane and Stephen Coniglio, and stars Nic Naitanui and Eddie Betts, will be key faces in Amazon's new docu-series to launch in 2021.

As well as Gold Coast coach Stuart Dew and Richmond president Peggy O'Neal, cameras will track the six individuals through their every move in 2020 to bring fans unprecedented behind-the-scenes insight.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I’m enjoying season 3 of alone on sbs - season 1 was great too - season 2 was full of dickheads so I stopped watching. I really enjoy seeing the resilience some people have vs fixations on certain things that are counterproductive when things get very real.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Put me down as a Ted Lasso fan. It's warm and funny and has a great cast. Jason Sudeikis is just so gosh darn likeable.
I hope there is another season. Really enjoyed S.1, and kind of pleased they didn't go for the 'happy' ending.

Reactions: 1 users