U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I have a lot of problems with big corporations and big tech and the slimy nexus between them and governments, but banning Trump from Twitter is simply not a problem. He infringed their terms of service repeatedly and got away with it for years and years.

I have no problem with AWS refusing to host Parler as well. If Parler can find a provider or do it themselves, good luck to them.
Agree, for all the lies that he used to tweet he should've been banned ages ago.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Are you serious about a coup? Lead by a guy dressed up as a Shaman? ROFL. It’s really the least probable interpretation of what occurred. It was a hare-brained, disorganised attempt by a vocal few to rattle the cage of the legislators who were confirming Biden. There were people with automatic weapons present and members of the police who colluded with them (seemingly) to allow them into the building. If it was a coup it should have succeeded!

The rhetoric about an insurrection was just a convenient excuse to do what is now being done. Fueled by the media of course. There is a great deal of power concentrated in the hands of very few and I not talking about Harris & Biden.

I've struggled a bit with the description of a coup to an extent too, however this was very different to BLM and should be regarded that way. This was an attack on democracy. There was a big crowd and a lot were probably dragged along with the emotion hence why they got to the capitol and seemingly had no idea, but make no mistake that there was a group involved here that believe they are Trumps patriots and would be regarded in the future as patriots freeing their nation from tyranny.

Let me pose a question, if the secret service or whoever it was that protected the senators there hadn't managed to do that, if the group has got hold of Mike Pence or Nancy Pelosi, what do you think they would have done?? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but wondering what your beliefs are in terms of what would have occurred.

I'm no leftie, but this was not any ordinary protest, there was much more at play here and Trump knows exactly what that was. He's been prepping his "disciples" (I'll call them that as they are essentially a cult) for years to act like this if things didn't go his way.

Reactions: 1 users

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
I have a lot of problems with big corporations and big tech and the slimy nexus between them and governments, but banning Trump from Twitter is simply not a problem. He infringed their terms of service repeatedly and got away with it for years and years.

I have no problem with AWS refusing to host Parler as well. If Parler can find a provider or do it themselves, good luck to them.

Actually they can’t. No-one will host them. Seems an over-reach to me.

Reactions: 1 user

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
I've struggled a bit with the description of a coup to an extent too, however this was very different to BLM and should be regarded that way. This was an attack on democracy. There was a big crowd and a lot were probably dragged along with the emotion hence why they got to the capitol and seemingly had no idea, but make no mistake that there was a group involved here that believe they are Trumps patriots and would be regarded in the future as patriots freeing their nation from tyranny.

Let me pose a question, if the secret service or whoever it was that protected the senators there hadn't managed to do that, if the group has got hold of Mike Pence or Nancy Pelosi, what do you think they would have done?? I'm pretty sure I know the answer but wondering what your beliefs are in terms of what would have occurred.

I'm no leftie, but this was not any ordinary protest, there was much more at play here and Trump knows exactly what that was. He's been prepping his "disciples" (I'll call them that as they are essentially a cult) for years to act like this if things didn't go his way.

The whole thing has a bizarre edge to it. How did they get in the first place?
If they had automatic weapons and wanted to start a revolution why weren’t they used?

I thought it was entirely unplanned. The rally outside was planned and orchestrated by Trump but the rest looked like a case of let’s see how far we can push this.

I don’t support Trump or believe his conspiracy theories but Big Tech certainly gives you some pause given the concentration of immense power into a very exclusive cabal. Is there any question that they could influence an election? 95% of their donations went to the Democrat party.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Theres a misconception that an attempted coup is well organised and executed.

Thats a coup.

an attempted coup, is like the bunch of 'Focus on Football' clowns with hairpieces and an ex-essendon bloke who met at a pub and online, had no real agenda, realised it, and withdrew

and allowed us get on with the business of winning premierships

“We are committed and passionate Richmond people who want the same on-field success that every Richmond fan wants. We had the courage to make a stand on the club’s future. We thank those who joined our efforts."

thats how attempted coups generally roll,

declarations of courage and unity and passion, after an underwhelming rabble, fails

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That's the 64 million dollar question. It's not just Trump, any one that continues to lie should be banned.

I'm not sure lying is against the terms and conditions. Most are using a clause that forbids people to use their platform to incite violence or something along those lines. Yes, they could have acted earlier but when you're dealing with the Pres it gets a bit complicated.

It seems Wednesday was a big enough shock to the country that they decided enough was enough.

If it was truly political then they would have pulled this or a similar attempt to censure him before the election, not 2 weeks before he vacates the job.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
He infringed their terms of service repeatedly and got away with it for years and years.

I just had a look at Twitter’s rules and honestly can’t see which he broke. Lying isn’t in there. Incitement to violence is what has been used to deplatform him recently. The closest he comes to this is ‘come to the rally on Jan 6th. It will be wild’. Not sure if this is an actual incitement to act violently. Maybe hateful speech? Or election manipulation?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
BLM did more or less the same thing. They received nothing but praise. A suspension would have had the same effect.

But it’s not just Twitter. It’s PayPal suspending the accounts of those who paid to bus people to the rallies. Its other companies who have threatened that anyone who employs a former member of the Trump administration will be run out of business. It’s pulling the plug on Parler (a billion dollar concern) due to the fact that conservatives had migrated there to escape censorship.

But it’s OK fine because it’s supports my political predispositions. Surely you have to question the amount of power these companies have?
Pretty sure the religious right pushed hard for private businesses to be able to refuse service to those that hold views they disagree with.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
BLM did more or less the same thing. They received nothing but praise. A suspension would have had the same effect.
Millions around the world protested against the treatment of black people by law enforcement. Some our these turned violent. (1 study suggested 94% were peaceful) (&i would argue much of the violence as perpetrated by opportunists with no interest to the BLM movement. )
There was 1 "protest" in Washington, that turned violent, 1 on duty policeman was killed, many more injured. They had no cause other than their team lost the election, and they set out to be violent.

Trying to argue they are the same puts you in the McCormack category.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm not sure lying is against the terms and conditions. Most are using a clause that forbids people to use their platform to incite violence or something along those lines. Yes, they could have acted earlier but when you're dealing with the Pres it gets a bit complicated.

It seems Wednesday was a big enough shock to the country that they decided enough was enough.

If it was truly political then they would have pulled this or a similar attempt to censure him before the election, not 2 weeks before he vacates the job.
I have never been on twitter, facebook, Instagram and the like. It's a shame that they condone dishonesty, it explains why the world is in such a mess.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
The whole thing has a bizarre edge to it. How did they get in the first place?
If they had automatic weapons and wanted to start a revolution why weren’t they used?

I thought it was entirely unplanned. The rally outside was planned and orchestrated by Trump but the rest looked like a case of let’s see how far we can push this.

I don’t support Trump or believe his conspiracy theories but Big Tech certainly gives you some pause given the concentration of immense power into a very exclusive cabal. Is there any question that they could influence an election? 95% of their donations went to the Democrat party.

Reading between the lines they were let in by some on the inside sympathetic to Trump, Senators and security. And as Ezy just because it was incompetent doens;t mean it wasn't an attempted coup.

As for Big Tech Facebook, the most influential, has been on Trumps side.

• Haha

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Millions around the world protested against the treatment of black people by law enforcement. Some our these turned violent. (1 study suggested 94% were peaceful) (&i would argue much of the violence as perpetrated by opportunists with no interest to the BLM movement. )
There was 1 "protest" in Washington, that turned violent, 1 on duty policeman was killed, many more injured. They had no cause other than their team lost the election, and they set out to be violent.

Trying to argue they are the same puts you in the McCormack category.

This article makes for interesting reading. The mainstream media have, it seems deliberately avoided labelling violent protests as violent and have deliberately tried to minimise the violence perpetrated by BLM. The US crisis centre who did the study were funded by institutions very friendly to BLM. The report is also riddled with contradictions, inaccuracies and errors.

• Love

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The closest he comes to this is ‘come to the rally on Jan 6th. It will be wild’. Not sure if this is an actual incitement to act violently. Maybe hateful speech? Or election manipulation?

You're not looking very hard.

We will never give up. We will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved. Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore, and that is what this is all about. And to use a favorite term that all of you people really came up with, we will stop the steal.

“You will have an illegitimate president. That is what you will have, and we can’t let that happen. These are the facts that you won’t hear from the fake news media. It’s all part of the suppression effort. They don’t want to talk about it. They don’t want to talk about it. …

“We fight like hell, and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.

Now it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. And after this, we’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you. … We are going to the Capitol, and we are going to try and give — the Democrats are hopeless, they are never voting for anything, not even one vote, but we are going to try — give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re try — going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.”

and more can be found here https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/us/trump-speech-riot.html All it took was googling "trump inciting violence". Plenty of hits, op-ed pieces, some for, some against, some unsure.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
If I was to have at a guess fundamentally their goal is to maintain power & therefor white privilege.
It's no coincidence that there was so much hate for Obama & BLM.
Any sense of equality threatens white privilege. Basically it's a race war.
Yes I believe trump and maga was an overcorrection response to having a black president. They didn't care how unfit trump was for office as long as he shared their beliefs and blamed everything on obama.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

We will never give up. We will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved. Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore, and that is what this is all about. And to use a favorite term that all of you people really came up with, we will stop the steal.

“You will have an illegitimate president. That is what you will have, and we can’t let that happen. These are the facts that you won’t hear from the fake news media. It’s all part of the suppression effort. They don’t want to talk about it. They don’t want to talk about it. …

“We fight like hell, and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.

Now it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. And after this, we’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you. … We are going to the Capitol, and we are going to try and give — the Democrats are hopeless, they are never voting for anything, not even one vote, but we are going to try — give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re try — going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.”

and more can be found here https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/10/us/trump-speech-riot.html All it took was googling "trump inciting violence". Plenty of hits, op-ed pieces, some for, some against, some unsure.
If this is not incitement I don't know what is.

"We have hundreds of thousands of people here, and I just want them to be recognized by the fake news media. Turn your cameras, please, and show what is really happening out here because these people are not going to take it any longer, they're not going to take it any longer."

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com

This wasn’t on Twitter, which was my point.