U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I think Biden will be a surer hand as a president in terms of Australia’s interests. Far more supportive of alliance’s & trade agreements. Hopefully he will be a president for all rather than just those that voted him in. On the flip side he will be lucky to see out one term due to his advanced age and he is definitely part of the swamp.
Suddenly I harp back to Australian Prime Minister 'Trunball'.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Trump told everyone what he was going to do, and attempted to do it. His epitaph should read: "He tried."

Enjoy the fruits of your barracking.
I'd have gone with "we're not sure he's dead this is likely an insurance job". I don't think he understood what he was trying to do and certainly didn't understand the machinery of government. He was a puppet for his influencers and was happy to go along with it for the ego. Every time the real trump was let out things went to *smile*.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Trump just told people what they wanted to hear. All that crap about getting manufacturing jobs back to the USA was simply a lie, never intended to do anything about it and didn't.

Let's see what Biden can do, back to conservative government in the USA, but that sure as hell beats deranged.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have been reading posts on here and also on social media about Trump’s departure and there is something that I just can’t reconcile in my head.
The world is full of political views and there is a place for all of them in a civilised society but for those who have views that would fall into where a conservative political party would sit why would they want their point of view represented by someone who is so obviously a conman, liar and a narcissist ?
I just don’t get it

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I have been reading posts on here and also on social media about Trump’s departure and there is something that I just can’t reconcile in my head.
The world is full of political views and there is a place for all of them in a civilised society but for those who have views that would fall into where a conservative political party would sit why would they want their point of view represented by someone who is so obviously a conman, liar and a narcissist ?
I just don’t get it
The word conservative is pretty hard to define. There are many different shades of political conservatism and all are not equal. For example, the types of conservatism espoused by the Democratic Labour Party with it's Catholic routes (or those remaining remnants of the blue collar conservative ALP faction that haven't yet been purged from the party) is quite a different form of conservatism than what we would see coming out of the L/NP and very different to what we see from a party like One Nation. And the US would have similar themes running through it.

Certain conservative factions have embraced him. But for others he is the antithesis of conservative values. I'm a pretty conservative person, but from doing a bit of reading on the subject recently, probably find myself closer to what is called in the UK, "Blue Labour" conservatism. So have always been uncomfortable with the rise of Trump. I'm probably one to say he is the antithesis of my version of conservative values. But at the same time I place some blame on the liberal establishment for a not insignificant contribution to creating an environment for 'Trumpism' (for want of a better description) to rise as a reactionary force.

Another note on a bit of a tangent. The movement has it's roots further back than Trump. The fire was really lit during the Sarah Palin VP campaign. Trump was simply a continuation of that movement. For a bloke respected on both sides of the aisle, that was a serious lack of judgement from Senator John McCain to select Palin as his running mate. He was a conservative who detested Trump (and Trumpism), but ironically played a major roll in lighting the flame.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The word conservative is pretty hard to define. There are many different shades of political conservatism and all are not equal. For example, the types of conservatism espoused by the Democratic Labour Party with it's Catholic routes (or those remaining remnants of the blue collar conservative ALP faction that haven't yet been purged from the party) is quite a different form of conservatism than what we would see coming out of the L/NP and very different to what we see from a party like One Nation. And the US would have similar themes running through it.

Certain conservative factions have embraced him. But for others he is the antithesis of conservative values. I'm a pretty conservative person, but from doing a bit of reading on the subject recently, probably find myself closer to what is called in the UK, "Blue Labour" conservatism. So have always been uncomfortable with the rise of Trump. I'm probably one to say he is the antithesis of my version of conservative values. But at the same time I place some blame on the liberal establishment for a not insignificant contribution to creating an environment for 'Trumpism' (for want of a better description) to rise as a reactionary force.

Another note on a bit of a tangent. The movement has it's roots further back than Trump. The fire was really lit during the Sarah Palin VP campaign. Trump was simply a continuation of that movement. For a bloke respected on both sides of the aisle, that was a serious lack of judgement from Senator John McCain to select Palin as his running mate. He was a conservative who detested Trump (and Trumpism), but ironically played a major roll in lighting the flame.

Yes I detest labels but it’s hard to define the demographic without some use of them.
i have friends who I would say are pretty conservative, they have been members of the Liberal party for instance and would be extremely unlikely to ever vote Labor, but they absolutely detest Trump and are celebrating his departure. I don’t understand why more aren’t like that.
Of course you are right that the roots of his rise go back before him being elected.

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
I just don’t get it

Yeah it’s crazy isn’t. Back in 2016 or so Trump claimed that perhaps Obama was not born in American, that no one could find his birth certificate, and no one knew of him at university, and that perhaps he was born in Kenya and took advantage of special university entrance conditions for African students and that his dad was born in Germany. And then Hawaii produced his birth certificate, a student came out and announced he bunked with Obama in uni and New York births registry showed Trumps old man was born in New York. Outside South Park these *smile* acts of deception would immediately end any candidate’s shot at anything above hard rubbish pickerupperer.

But for a lot of people it didn't matter. Child like easily caught out total *smile* lying is now fine. No apology or explanation required. Who cares about his policies when from the very start he lies like that? Trump seems to have somehow tapped into our darker side. Any students of Freud around here?

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah it’s crazy isn’t. Back in 2016 or so Trump claimed that perhaps Obama was not born in American, that no one could find his birth certificate, and no one knew of him at university, and that perhaps he was born in Kenya and took advantage of special university entrance conditions for African students and that his dad was born in Germany.
That stuff was the brainchild of Clinton strategists before the 2008 election and although they elected not to run with it (after much infighting), it was trafficked by Clinton supporters.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That stuff was the brainchild of Clinton strategists before the 2008 election and although they elected not to run with it (after much infighting), it was trafficked by Clinton supporters.
Yeah, maybe in the Trump Apologist circles. Definitely conservative driven, first appeared in 2004 in Obama's Chicago senate race. A couple of Clinton campaign workers were fired when they were caught forwarding on anonymous birther chain mails. Unless of course the evidence is being kept in the paedophile slave basement of Comet Ping Pong.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
There is no excuse for lying, whoever "started" it.

That was the pattern though -= throw as much mud as possible with no regard for the truth. Trump would say anything to get what he wanted, and have no remorse. A pity so many people there and around the world bought into the fantasies.

I agree - cause and effect though - Trump is a product of the times, and Democratics helped create him. Palin was a nut, but she represented the far right Tea Party and Christian Evangelists, who see end times coming and see things in terms of gnostic weirdo beliefs, hence they could rationalise a lying, conman, adulterer and criminal as the representative of Jesus on Earth.

McCain and Palin - its a common thing, get your VP to represent the side of the party you don't to get those votes. I don't think her impact was very great, but the general slide towards appeasing the nutbag side of the GOP sowed the seeds of Trump.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
There is no excuse for lying, whoever "started" it.

That was the pattern though -= throw as much mud as possible with no regard for the truth. Trump would say anything to get what he wanted, and have no remorse. A pity so many people there and around the world bought into the fantasies.

I'm surprised at just how many people need to believe in conspiracy theories. From 911 to Child Vaccines to fake moon landings to 5G to QAnon. What's wrong with society today that so many people believe this *smile*.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I'm surprised at just how many people need to believe in conspiracy theories. From 911 to Child Vaccines to fake moon landings to 5G to QAnon. What's wrong with society today that so many people believe this *smile*.
It’s amazing. I know someone who used to be a friend, massive IQ and into incredibly complex IT stuff and robotics. Our contact stopped 10 years or so ago when he started pushing the 9/11 conspiracy theories including that the pentagon plane didn’t happen.
Just about the smartest and dummest person I have ever met, both at the same time.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yeah, maybe in the Trump Apologist circles. Definitely conservative driven, first appeared in 2004 in Obama's Chicago senate race. A couple of Clinton campaign workers were fired when they were caught forwarding on anonymous birther chain mails. Unless of course the evidence is being kept in the paedophile slave basement of Comet Ping Pong.
Andy Martin was a Democrat once. It had no legs until this:

Clinton told to portray Obama as foreign