U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Do you think he will lose the election Spook?
How would I know? He won the last election despite getting three million fewer votes than his opponent. Their system is *smile* beyond repair. Rome is crumbling before our eyes.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
How would I know? He won the last election despite getting three million fewer votes than his opponent. Their system is ****** beyond repair. Rome is crumbling before our eyes.
So we get people elected with one or two % of the vote, but other candidates send them preferences in an attempt to shut down the person who gets the most votes.
Q. So who's system is most *smile*.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Yeah Trump is a *smile* (at best) but people have to stop with the *smile* yeah but he lost the popular vote, it is simply not relevant.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So we get people elected with one or two % of the vote, but other candidates send them preferences in an attempt to shut down the person who gets the most votes.
Q. So who's system is most ******.

That is a nice argument, as long as you don't look at the complexity of proportional representation with multi-member electorates.

If a candidate gets 1% of the vote (assuming a half Senate election) but receives preferences from 13.5% of voters who's candidate is knocked out should they get the seat? Well, who else should be elected then? The third candidate on some major party ticket which received 28.8% of the vote (ie: 2 quotas with only 0.2% vote left after electing the first 2 candidates on the ticket)?

The thing is we have preferences in the Senate voting and if your candidate gets knocked out your vote goes through with full value to your next preference.

It is easy to say that there is an issue when a candidate who gets 1% of the first preference votes is elected, but it becomes much harder when you actually consider who should get the seat instead.

I still hate the way preferences are manipulated by very minor parties, especially when they are distributed amongst candidates with opposing politics. But it just isn't as simple as looking at first preferences.

By the way, the US system is clearly the most s***. Winner takes all in each state's election to the electoral college, that just disenfranchises so many voters. By the way, it doesn't have to be that way, each state can decide how electoral college members are elected or even selected. Their system is insane. In some states there are different ballot papers for each county, in others the ballots are the same across the whole state. If you are not a major party candidate you may not even appear on the ballot in some states. It is all determined by state legislatures or state governments. It is truly f***ed up.

I also don't get why countries without compulsory attendance at the polling booth have elections on weekdays: Tuesday in the US, Thursday in the UK - f***en stupid.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah Trump is a ******** (at best) but people have to stop with the *smile* yeah but he lost the popular vote, it is simply not relevant.
It's relevant to how the *smile* would I know who's going to win the election when you get a result like that.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I thought Sanders with his policy of free health might have been able to turn things around about in yesterdays Super Tuesday.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yeah, hate it when people when they say “I saw the doctor, it was free”. No, it was bulk billed and paid for by the taxpayer.
Was the a cost pays by the patient? No for that visit, then it is free.
Otherwise nothing can ever be free as there is a cost to everything whether it is a financial cost, or labour, or environmental.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
ScoMo's the boss. ;)
david_brent.jpg

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Trump confirming that he's nasty piece of work, when questioned about Senators who are in isolation. Romney is a fellow republican, critic and potential rival.

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
the US election will be an interesting one. in times like these the people tend to stick with the incumbent. but how will people react when they realise their user-pays health system isn't up to scratch when dealing with a pandemic and their numbers of active cases goes through the roof? It will surely hurt the republicans.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Trump confirming that he's nasty piece of work, when questioned about Senators who are in isolation. Romney is a fellow republican, critic and potential rival.

Putting aside whether you think he's doing a good or bad job handling this crisis. ...... at a time where we should be showing care for eachother, it's hard not to say...... that he's a - - - - -'- horrible human being!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users