U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

glantone

dog at the footy, punt rd end
Jun 5, 2007
The pessimist in me shapes my wild guess. Trump will tie up most legal matters in the courts for years to come as he always has and providing he is constitutionally allowed to run for next election he will. 74 million americans voted for him and despite the damage the capitol riot has done to him amongst his voters he still has an enormous support base from which to relaunch. The majority of the republican party politicians still support Trump reflecting their utter contempt for democracy. There remains much to fuel his lust for power. If Trump can’t run again any one of his loyal followers will fill the void. I fear a truly authoritarian fascist USA is just an election or 2 away.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Of those 74million, how many voted for Trump and how many voted for a GOP President?

glantone

Jun 5, 2007
Of those 74million, how many voted for Trump and how many voted for a GOP President?
Dunno. Talking to an american neighbour he said he voted republican despite not liking Trump. He thought the damage the democrats will do (to the economy and society I'm guessing) presented a worse threat to the US than Trump. After Trump's 'last stand' he said he couldn't vote at all.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
The pessimist in me shapes my wild guess. Trump will tie up most legal matters in the courts for years to come as he always has and providing he is constitutionally allowed to run for next election he will. 74 million americans voted for him and despite the damage the capitol riot has done to him amongst his voters he still has an enormous support base from which to relaunch. The majority of the republican party politicians still support Trump reflecting their utter contempt for democracy. There remains much to fuel his lust for power. If Trump can’t run again any one of his loyal followers will fill the void. I fear a truly authoritarian fascist USA is just an election or 2 away.
What does a fascist state mean to you, out of interest?

Also I don’t think it is a bad position to have utter contempt for US style democracy. It means that 74 million people at least have to have a government they don’t support, a government they have very little means of communicating with and their only means to change it is to vote every four years where their vote in the grand scheme of things is actually powerless. There is no exit option.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It really feels like there's one more desperate play in the Trump handbook. After recent events nothing will surprise in this American shitshow.

Agree. QAnon and other Trump supporters still believe Biden will not become president, even at this late stage. The nutters will be out in force, without a doubt.

The pessimist in me shapes my wild guess. Trump will tie up most legal matters in the courts for years to come as he always has and providing he is constitutionally allowed to run for next election he will.

civil lawsuits, yes. criminal charges, no. I can definitely see Trump behind bars come wednesday night USA time. He should be, thats for sure.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

Also I don’t think it is a bad position to have utter contempt for US style democracy. It means that 74 million people at least have to have a government they don’t support, a government they have very little means of communicating with and their only means to change it is to vote every four years where their vote in the grand scheme of things is actually powerless. There is no exit option.

Agree, representative democracy is an increasingly corrupt and tired model - but again, what do we replace it with? Thanks for the link to the Lichtenstein info, interesting but the author doesn't really come to grips with why that system is better, except by describing the system and the Prince's commitment to Mises. Reminded me of the Swiss Canton systems in some ways.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Agree, representative democracy is an increasingly corrupt and tired model - but again, what do we replace it with? Thanks for the link to the Lichtenstein info, interesting but the author doesn't really come to grips with why that system is better, except by describing the system and the Prince's commitment to Mises. Reminded me of the Swiss Canton systems in some ways.
No system is perfect. But there are many lessons that can be taken from the Swiss version of Federation and blended with other ideas.

Switzerland continually rates very highly in surveys relating to citizen's trust in politicians. The system of government has a lot to do with this for a number of reasons. Some of which are:

1) Quite a bit of direct democracy is built into the system
2) Political representation and decision making is quite decentralised and localised, meaning the people feel closer and engaged with the political system
3) No winner takes all Presidency - it's a collective executive
4) Very few would be considered professional political class (for want of a better description). Most political representatives are part time and keep their hand in their profession while serving. It means there isn't this demarcation between the political bubble and what's happening on the ground in the real world of electors.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
1) Quite a bit of direct democracy is built into the system
2) Political representation and decision making is quite decentralised and localised, meaning the people feel closer and engaged with the political system
3) No winner takes all Presidency - it's a collective executive
4) Very few would be considered professional political class (for want of a better description). Most political representatives are part time and keep their hand in their profession while serving. It means there isn't this demarcation between the political bubble and what's happening on the ground in the real world of electors.

The other important point is the Swiss take it seriously. They also have a very strong sense of community and will vote for what they feel is best for the Stadt, Kanton or Country rather than what would be most beneficial for themselves. It's also against the law to do your washing on Sunday's in a lot of places.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
For those that don't think Politico is impartial, here's Axios, the political media mob that Trump agreed to have a sit down interview with (with Australian Jonathan Swan).

So far a 5 part series on the meltdown of Trump. Fascinating reading so far

Off the rails: Behind Trump's post-election meltdown - Axios

Most interesting is that Trump's plan to declare that he won the night of the Election no matter the results, was tripped up by Fox News declaring Arizona as Blue.

Reactions: 3 users

glantone

Jun 5, 2007

Good question. We use terms loosely. On a purely intuitive level - I've never studied it - I guess for me it means many things. All dark all negative. I think about fascist regimes of the past and now and their commonalities.

They are built on a complex order of many many lies and a demand for compliance. And I acknowledge that fascism doesn't have a monopoly on lies and demanding compliance.

They more often than not have a leader who is the saviour and so sole source of the truth. His lies are the new truth. Absolute loyalty is demanded. Transgressors are ruthlessly punished often involving public humiliation which ends up career ending or life threatening.

Fascist regimes undermine democratic institutions that threaten or contradict their narrative, their will. They peddle confusion and distrust in any body or institution outside of the regime so that fellow government officials, electoral and legal institutions, the media, the security branches, medical and educational institutions etc are all to be dismissed as enemies of the regime and so the people if they don't fall into line.

They invent grand conspiracies and upon these conspiracies nurture a lived experience disconnected from fact and tainted in fear. People and cultures and institutions which are not enemies are portrayed as such. Xenophobia reins. There is much to fear. They are racist.

Conciliation is viewed as weakness. And fascism is patriarchal so control over a woman’s body is essential. As such half of the population is perpetually discriminated against. I just can't think of anything inviting in fascism but that's my intuition.

Can you think of a country under a fascist regime now or in the past in which you would like to bring up your family?

As for the US, the state of play is contemptuous I agree. Way way too partisan. It's awful. How did it come to this?
Simply voting at election time isn't enough. It seems obvious that democracy is a fragile thing that needs to be constantly tended to by active community involvement at every level. And it obviously relies heavily on good faith actors of which unfortunately the US doesn't have enough of.

Have you a theory on why the US is so broken? If we were to roll back time and not invent the internet I wonder what a counter factual 2021 America would be like?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

This point is never explored enough. The Georgia run-offs excluded, the GOP performed better in down ballot contests than they did in the presidential in the 2020 election. Trump was a drag on the ticket.

Reactions: 1 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Good question. We use terms loosely. On a purely intuitive level - I've never studied it - I guess for me it means many things. All dark all negative. I think about fascist regimes of the past and now and their commonalities.

They are built on a complex order of many many lies and a demand for compliance. And I acknowledge that fascism doesn't have a monopoly on lies and demanding compliance.

They more often than not have a leader who is the saviour and so sole source of the truth. His lies are the new truth. Absolute loyalty is demanded. Transgressors are ruthlessly punished often involving public humiliation which ends up career ending or life threatening.

Fascist regimes undermine democratic institutions that threaten or contradict their narrative, their will. They peddle confusion and distrust in any body or institution outside of the regime so that fellow government officials, electoral and legal institutions, the media, the security branches, medical and educational institutions etc are all to be dismissed as enemies of the regime and so the people if they don't fall into line.

They invent grand conspiracies and upon these conspiracies nurture a lived experience disconnected from fact and tainted in fear. People and cultures and institutions which are not enemies are portrayed as such. Xenophobia reins. There is much to fear. They are racist.

Conciliation is viewed as weakness. And fascism is patriarchal so control over a woman’s body is essential. As such half of the population is perpetually discriminated against. I just can't think of anything inviting in fascism but that's my intuition.

Can you think of a country under a fascist regime now or in the past in which you would like to bring up your family?

As for the US, the state of play is contemptuous I agree. Way way too partisan. It's awful. How did it come to this?

Simply voting at election time isn't enough. It seems obvious that democracy is a fragile thing that needs to be constantly tended to by active community involvement at every level. And it obviously relies heavily on good faith actors of which unfortunately the US doesn't have enough of.

Have you a theory on why the US is so broken? If we were to roll back time and not invent the internet I wonder what a counter factual 2021 America would be like?
I think perhaps a lot of what you have characterised as fascist is more about despotic regimes in general rather than unique characteristics of fascism. You might be interested in this:

Last edited:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Not going to read something from the Mises mob, was it not Mises who wrote:

It cannot be denied that fascism and similar movements aiming at the establishment of dictatorships are full of the best intentions and their intervention has, for the moment, saved European civilisation.

He also claimed that fascism has won merit for itself.

Enough on that tangent though.

Fascism has always been a bit difficult to pin down, there being no overarching theory and examples with many differences. The most obvious examples would be Hitler, Mussolini and Franco.

There are a few features which fascist regimes share:
  • They are very nationalistic, and generally racist in support.
  • A strong leader is a feature.
  • They suppress any opposition.
  • Undermine any opposing opinions even to the extent of denying reality, this is generally a first step followed by just banning opposing opinions.

Trump and his mates exhibited some of these tendencies in various ways but it would be a very large stretch to call Trump fascist.

DS

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Not going to read something from the Mises mob, was it not Mises who wrote:

He also claimed that fascism has won merit for itself.

Enough on that tangent though.

Fascism has always been a bit difficult to pin down, there being no overarching theory and examples with many differences. The most obvious examples would be Hitler, Mussolini and Franco.

There are a few features which fascist regimes share:
  • They are very nationalistic, and generally racist in support.
  • A strong leader is a feature.
  • They suppress any opposition.
  • Undermine any opposing opinions even to the extent of denying reality, this is generally a first step followed by just banning opposing opinions.

Trump and his mates exhibited some of these tendencies in various ways but it would be a very large stretch to call Trump fascist.

DS
That’s interesting. Does that make China communist or fascist?

glantone

Jun 5, 2007
I think perhaps a lot of what you have characterised as fascist is more about despotic regimes in general rather than unique characteristics of fascism. You might be interested in this:

yeah you might be right. Despotic regimes have a lot in common. I'm not sure what is unique to fascism and what is not other than Hitler's fascist elite all being decked out in Hugo Boss designer wear....haha

Interesting read but perhaps presumes the reader to have a sounder background in or knowledge of economic and political theory than the likes of me to fully appreciate the author’s points.

Shame the language in the article comes across as cultish, doused in paranoia and opinion which sets off my ‘lets run for it’ early warning alarm system. From point 1,

‘If you become directly ensnared in the state’s web, you will quickly discover that there are indeed no limits to what the state can do. This can happen boarding a flight, driving around in your hometown, or having your business run afoul of some government agency. In the end, you must obey or be caged like an animal or killed. In this way, no matter how much you may believe that you are free, all of us today are but one step away from Guantanamo.’

Seriously?

(I then read 'celebrating 30 years of Mises University' by Rockwell Jr and it also sounded cultish but that's by the by)

But the article you linked does highlight some characteristics of which many people would call fascist.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
That’s interesting. Does that make China communist or fascist?
I've argued for a while that China is evolving, or has evolved into a unique eastern incarnation of Fascism.

During Mao's time it was a totalitarian Communist dictatorship (of the Leninist denomination). What has happened is that the CCP has done away with the communist economic model and replaced it with a form of State sponsored capitalism. But it has retained the totalitarian Leninist governance structure. The combination creates probably the most perfect example of organised systemic crony capitalism we have ever seen - one very important ingredient of fascism.

One missing ingredient up until relatively recently was a strong sense of ethno-nationalism. Under Xi's rule the ethno-nationalistic element has become increasingly prevalent.

Reactions: 3 users