U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Squeaky bum time for her but yes looks like she snuck in. For a state with an overwhelming Republican majority, thats a massive fail. I didn't know much about her, but read about her yesterday, she's a scary person to have in power. Yikes. A real Trump disciple.

View attachment 17405

Or maybe not. The article larabee posted looks to have slightly more recent figures and she's now behind.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Is what I've been hearing n seeing right that the septics somehow managed to vote in a bloke who's been dead for a month with a majority 85% of the vote????
Is their electoral system still buried somewhere in the 1700's or are they all simply brain dead *smile* sticks?

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Squeaky bum time for her but yes looks like she snuck in. For a state with an overwhelming Republican majority, thats a massive fail. I didn't know much about her, but read about her yesterday, she's a scary person to have in power. Yikes. A real Trump disciple.

View attachment 17405
She is a grade A nutcase. Like her idol DT, she’s also a bs artist who is in it for what she can get out of it.

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Is what I've been hearing n seeing right that the septics somehow managed to vote in a bloke who's been dead for a month with a majority 85% of the vote????
Is their electoral system still buried somewhere in the 1700's or are they all simply brain dead *smile* sticks?
From what I read , when he died, it was too late to take his name off the voting form. It says a lot about his opponent that the voters would overwhelmingly rather have a dead guy represent them than the alternative

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Does anyone know how many of the trump endorsed looney tune parade of candidates got voted in?
It must be heaps because he only knows the best people :ROFLMAO:

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
From what I read , when he died, it was too late to take his name off the voting form. It says a lot about his opponent that the voters would overwhelmingly rather have a dead guy represent them than the alternative

I'm not sure how far primaries go (likely different depending on which state you are in), but, they complicate the nominating process so not sure who they would nominate or who could do the nominating. It is a strange one, and it has happened here, I seem to recall a dead candidate in the last 10 years, don't think they won though.

DS

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
It was a plot line in The West Wing too over 20 years ago. Strange that they still allow it!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
There's no laws in the U.S.A. to make people vote, so why would people be stupid enough to stand in line for hours n then vote for someone who's already dead and then have to go out n stand in line for hours and have to vote again for someone who might not already be dead this time.
Surely they've made it to the 21st century over in septic land. They'd have news papers, radio, television, social media over there to make some official announcements through. Maybe they could even have put up some shiny big signs at the entrance to the polling stations announcing something like Oi *smile*! This *smile* dead, he's been dead for weeks. If you vote for him it means we have to do this *smile* all over again next month. Have a nice day.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Didn't a similar thing happen in the West Wing ? :D Sam Seaborn (Rob Lowe) later ran for the seat because they have to have another election obviously and that was how his character was written out of the show.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Some amusingly boneheaded Aussie takes on this here - it was too late to remove the guy from the printed ballot and as a much loved representative people voted for him as a mark of respect. They had to vote for governor and other reps as well, so no, they weren't standing in line for hours just to vote for a dead guy. It was a nice gesture.

Sometimes the yanks aren't as dumb as we like to make out.

Reactions: 1 user

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Does anyone know how many of the trump endorsed looney tune parade of candidates got voted in?
It must be heaps because he only knows the best people :ROFLMAO:
It has been a disaster for the Trump endorsed Republicans, very few got voted in, although a few are in still in races for important positions like state Attorney General. The Donald blamed his wife for urging him to back TV Celebrity (and non-Pennsylvania resident) Dr. Oz for that losing Senate race. It seems even the Republican Party is pivoting away from Trump, we'll know in the next couple of weeks if he is running in 2024. The saga continues.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Some amusingly boneheaded Aussie takes on this here - it was too late to remove the guy from the printed ballot and as a much loved representative people voted for him as a mark of respect. They had to vote for governor and other reps as well, so no, they weren't standing in line for hours just to vote for a dead guy. It was a nice gesture.

Apparently there were 1 or 2 others who also died and this has happened before in previous elections.

Just seems a bit strange how they can't inform voters of this and place an interim for the election. Crazy country the Yanks.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Apparently there were 1 or 2 others who also died and this has happened before in previous elections.

Just seems a bit strange how they can't inform voters of this and place an interim for the election. Crazy country the Yanks.

It's happened here too, if someone dies after nominations have closed it's too late to for someone else to be nominated TF. Here we would then hold a supplementary election at a later date, which is exactly what they will do in that location.

Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
More importantly though, the Dems hold on to the Senate!! They can stack the judiciary and fend off any hostile impeachment trials from the House.

That the Dems have done this in a time of high inflation is unprecedented.

This is really bad news for Trump and the GOP. Nearly all his endorsed candidates lost, and election deniers lost.
From orange to purple

1668317582045.png

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Agree, and also, what happens if the dead candidate does not win the election, does the actual winner get elected? I would think so. So if you are living in a solid Republican electorate and you are a Republican voter and think, yeah, I'm not going to turn up because my candidate is dead, and others think the same, and the Democrats win the poll, do they keep the seat? I'm not sure and I suspect in the USA it might depend on which state you are in. But, if the election is conducted properly and a live candidate is elected why would they hold a by-election? Do they hold a by-election if a candidate dies during the campaign period but that candidate was only expected to poll maybe 2% of the vote? If not, how would they distinguish which elections to hold again if a candidate dies?

I do seem to recall a candidate dying in an election here, can't recall what happened, but I think they only hold a by-election if the winning candidate is also the deceased candidate.

This is not as simple as it looks and that is before you consider all the other elections on the same day, you know, like Governor, House Rep, Senator, Mayor, District Attorney, Supreme Court Justices, Dog Catcher, Police Chief etc in the USA (well, in some states and/or counties).

DS

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005

View attachment 17405
She's real dumb but not as bad as MTG.