Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Punxsutawney Phil said:
Yep. 18 more inside 50s and we didn't make them count.

God we are starting to sound like Collingwood supporters.

Sorry the umpiring affected the first half.
You can argue all you like mate but you're wrong this time!

I will let the game go though.
Concentrate on beating the Hawks with 18 players on the field hopefully LOL.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
KnightersRevenge said:
.............and another thing...............

Direct quote from the age:
"Not so hilarious in the Richmond coach's box where Damien Hardwick got up, punched the wall and walked out after a free kick and 50-metre penalty was paid against Ivan ''The Mullet'' Maric for holding the ball. It was a tough call as the ball was held to him by Brent Stanton, who kicked a goal as a result, halting the Tigers' third-quarter momentum."
7 frees to 1 in the first quarter.
Sorry but the umps were sh!thouse and they know it.

The amount they let go when Richmond players got bashed was astounding.
I'm not letting em off the hook.
They were sh!thouse.

I saw the events then double checked the replays at the ground to be fair, and couldn't believe what I was seeing.

When you get screwed,you get screwed.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
rosy23 said:
I don't for one second believe most of the umpires have it in for us. I don't believe Geisch instructs them to go hard on us as some kind of bitter revenge. Quite some amusing conspiracy theories manifest on here at times.

I am concerned about umpire performance but think all teams are affected. Sometimes it seems they want to be, or are being made to be, bigger than the game. Not a real fan of them wearing microphones and chatting to (some) players as though they are best mates to the point of even coaching them at times. I reckon they should shut up and put up. Concentrate 100% on the game. They are taught choreographed moves and how to march military style. Got to look the part prancing around in their pretty uniforms. My husband was an umpire and I cracked up at some of the instructions they got. It seems doing a good job was low on the list of priorities.

The AFL have complicated the game. The players, coaches and supporters don't know the rules or how they'll be interpreted from week to week. There are now several umpires out there making decisions who all interpret the rules differently. No wonder everyone is so frustrated.

The rules used to be pretty simple but they keep getting changed. Certain rules are even targeted at times then ignored again. So confusing for everyone.

Also it's almost a duty for supporters to get stuck into umpiring decisions. Doesn't matter if in hindsight, as is often the case, that the decision was different to how we interpreted it live.

I'd like to see a "What's your decision" kind of show where either the umpires, or their coach, are held accountable. They can tell the public why they did, or didn't as the case may be, make certain calls.

Umpires are human (believe it or not) and will always make some mistakes. That gives our game a bit of unique character imo. I don't expect perfection but I do expect consistency. I don't see how it will be achieved the way the goal posts keep being moved though.

I agree in so far as I hate to give them credit for the result, but sometimes their inability to officiate consitsently does affect the game. I will freely admit that a couple of times our players held on in the tackle too long and should have been pinged but weren't. That said a whistle at that point wouldn't have changed much as the Bombers were in posession anyway. It was the clear dropping of the ball in tackles and the head-high shots that kept going agaisnt us but weren't paid to us that bothered me. I don't think it is a conspiracy of which we are a target. I think it is human nature that the umps give the "better" players from the "better" clubs the benefit of the doubt more so than the players they have a lower expectation of. This is something that can be addressed in coaching but only if it is acknowledged in the first place. The holier than thou attitude of the AFL and the umpires association makes it very hard to combat.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
KnightersRevenge said:
I don't think it is a conspiracy of which we are a target. I think it is human nature that the umps give the "better" players from the "better" clubs the benefit of the doubt more so than the players they have a lower expectation of. This is something that can be addressed in coaching but only if it is acknowledged in the first place. The holier than thou attitude of the AFL and the umpires association makes it very hard to combat.

It's a never ending problem every season for who knows how long. We just have to live with it and somehow take advantage of decisions against us.

Some umpires just have to realise to let the game flow on if you're not sure on which decision to make. It's a win-win situation.

Team Agg

Tiger Rookie
Aug 23, 2011
Just watched the game for first time and snapped the second *smile* remote control in half. Have no tv remotes left. I destroyed the first one during he W/Coast game. *smile*.. bannister was an ex essendon player, hence the crap he dished up to us. It was like letting an Indian cricket umpire officiate an Indian test. We get steamrolled by these pricks every week.

brigadiertiger

Tiger Champion
Dec 1, 2005
Umpires definitely treat top line players differently than lesser known players and over the years we have had more lesser players than we have had top line players and as a result our players don't get the same treatment which will look bad.

Having said that I do think that with an ex coach of ours who we sacked now running the umpires there may be some subconscious acts that go against us. Hard to say that there are issues higher up but last year against St. Kilda we had a decision go against us that Gieschen came out and said publicly that the decision was wrong the umpire who made that decision umpired the next week any other time that Gieschen has admitted to a blunder the umpires miss at the least the next match. Understandable that the umpires treat us differently albeit unintentionally. Until Gieschen is replaced we will struggle.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
BrisTiger24 said:
He's never played so well for the Bummers that bloke.

Not to worry, we have our own ace in the hole. Jeffrey will no doubt oversee the review and announce that the umpires made a number of incorrect and inconsistent decisions.

Nik

Tiger Rookie
Apr 8, 2006
The woeful unpiring decisions/non - decisions got my blood pressure up so high I could have powered a hydro - electric station.

But the underlying issue is that we have to be a good enough side that even with unfavourable umpiring we still win. Had we converted even half of those shots we missed in the 3rd and 4th quarters we would have won easily.

The players showed great mental toughness to get back into the game. A couple of years ago we would have lost by 100 points. Just get our conversion right and it boosts the team morale even more.

rimau35

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 26, 2010
SE QLD
zippadeee said:
How can someone who played for the football club, come back 5 years later and umpire a game with them involved in it!
He killed us in the 1 st half!

I heard next week that Paul Bulluss is umpiring the game against hawthorn.

Only in the AFL
How can someone who played in a Premiership for the football club, come back and be our coach with them involved in it?

How can someone who played with the club two years ago play for us against them?

I heard that zippa is asking Ross Smith and Dimma to stand down for next weekend's match.

:rofl

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
TigerForce said:
It's a never ending problem every season for who knows how long. We just have to live with it and somehow take advantage of decisions against us.

Some umpires just have to realise to let the game flow on if you're not sure on which decision to make. It's a win-win situation.

The light at the end of the tunnel for me is that we are improving. In a couple of years, maybe even next year if we turn these close losses into win in the second half of the year, we will be considered one of the better sides with better players and we will benefit from the rub of the green. I don't think it worth arguing that it irons itself out, I genuinely believe that as the umps perception (which trends with public opinion if a little behind) of us increases so will our free kick count.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
It's not just in our games. The correlation between reputation and dodgy free kicks is immense (noth atht I have any stats tpo back that assertion up - hey this is the Internet!). I watched the first half of the Adelaide/Scum game and the number of not-awarded (play on) to Adelaide and instant frees blown to the Scum was bizzare.

I reckon the bad decision numbers balance out over time but it's the not-awarded ones that are the problem.

BTW - Anyone have any idean what Ivan said that warranted the 50?

Fun Ha!

hopper

Vile weed!
Jul 28, 2004
Darwin
Thought we got a rough deal from the umpires (watched the game for the first time last night). Didn't think it was as outrageous as some are suggesting though. What did happen was that the ones they got cost goals. Hocking's holding the ball was terrible - he placed it on the ground. Maric's holding the ball was just bizarre - first time I've seen a man with the ball (Stanton) given a holding the pill decision. No wonder Ivan was irate - still, should have shut his trap.

The goal kicking in the third qu was the killer more than the frees.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
puregreen said:
Watson in the 2nd qtr picks the ball up hunched over and 'runs into' one of our guys (who couldn't do anything else but tackle him front on) - free for too high and a shot for goal.

That one was particularly *smile*, I thought.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
The problem with this is that when we complain about the Umps and we have lost we appear to have sour grapes.

Umpires make mistakes and I am sure there are no conspiracies going on but those 3 decisions were perfect examples of the opposite to what we keep on hearing from the Umpire fraternity.

- Jetta's push in the back, so clearly hands in the back they should put it in the video.
- Watson's duck of the head was nothing more than an attempt to milk a free.
- Stanton pulling the ball back under Maric. The only excuse I can make is that the Umpire was on the other side, which means he guessed of course.

If they had not been paid would we have won ? Who knows? The fact is that if that had happened the game would have been totally different , it's just not correct to say it cost 3 goals and therefore we would have lost by 1 point. It doesn't happen that way.

I wish we could express the view about them after we had won the game and then it appears less self serving. We only have ourselves to blame for that imo as we should have won the game anyway.