Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
I just thought "I wonder if it's just us that thinks like this?"

As statistically we get reamed year in, year out.

So had a look at Twitter and nope, it's lit up with ALL supporters and they are all saying the same thing: umpiring is destroying the game
Umpiring is a function of the AFL. It's continual meddling in the rules and how the game is umpired is about how the AFL use it, and for what purposes. It's getting closer to pro wrestling for those who watch it closely. All rigged for commercial aims.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I just thought "I wonder if it's just us that thinks like this?"

As statistically we get reamed year in, year out.

So had a look at Twitter and nope, it's lit up with ALL supporters and they are all saying the same thing: umpiring is destroying the game
It was an awful spectacle despite above-average scoring. Nobody will remember it except perhaps for the umpiring.

Thought conditions were a bit slippery which doesn't bode well for the GF.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
They should be full time professionals getting paid good money. We're one of the only professional competitions in the world where the umps/refs are part timers. Pay them well then you'll have people queuing up for a job and you can pick the best and develop them through properly funded academies. This way you can delist the duds and bring in replacements every year like the players. The AFL *smile* money up the wall yet pay peanuts for umpires which is one of the biggest areas of the game that needs improving.
Think you'll find they actually get paid very, very well for what they have to do and hours devoted, compared to the average Joe. Hard to obtain up to date info, of course, being AFL.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Think you'll find they actually get paid very, very well for what they have to do and hours devoted, compared to the average Joe. Hard to obtain up to date info, of course, being AFL.
They should be full time professionals.

tigertough

Tiger Rookie
Dec 18, 2002
Time for Slater and Gordon to get a class action for the professional gamblers against the AFL for disgraceful umpiring decisions influencing results

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The umpires were brilliant tonight.
Suffer Brisbane pay back for last year kok heads

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Time for Slater and Gordon to get a class action for the professional gamblers against the AFL for disgraceful umpiring decisions influencing results
Why?
Its easier to predict a winner.
Just check the free kick count.
Im 5 out 6 in this final series.
Got the 4 last week. Easy money.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
They should be full time professionals.
You serious? Why? To practise running backwards, blowing the whistle, hand signals ... full-time? Learn the rule-book word-perfect?

Ridiculous. The hardest part is probably the running and fitness. It's not brain surgery.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
umpiring has been terrible this year, i basically gave up (like our club did) half way though.
Stand! Stand!

Thought id give finals footy a go though.

Terrible!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Why would a law firm run by Peter Gordon, ex Footscray president, support aby complaints against umpires??

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What's worse the STAND rule or The defender can run the straight of the flemington straight without bouncing it??
2 of the worse rules ive seen.
Its like soccer after a corner giving the ball back to the opposition and the keeper can't use 2 hands when saving the ball.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
But today's papers
'Dogs almost screwed in final but some doggy free kicks'
Where was that article against Sydney in round 3??
Can't let the doggies get crucified by the umpires.

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Only thing better than Bulldogs winning by a point.............. Brisi loosing by a point. Cant stand those plastic tough guys and their over the top coach.

Last edited:

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Last night made me chuckle. The very first possession of the night was a little scoop out of the pack by a player falling to the ground. You know, it was also the first two - handed throw of the night. The very first touch!

About half an hour later, an umpire called the first free kick of the night for “incorrect disposal.” I thought: “Now you call a throw, why now? What about the other twenty or so.”

Reactions: 1 users