Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
You serious? Why? To practise running backwards, blowing the whistle, hand signals ... full-time? Learn the rule-book word-perfect?

Ridiculous. The hardest part is probably the running and fitness. It's not brain surgery.
The game is a full time professional sport yet we have amateurs struggling to officiate it.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
What's worse the STAND rule or The defender can run the straight of the flemington straight without bouncing it??
2 of the worse rules ive seen.
Its like soccer after a corner giving the ball back to the opposition and the keeper can't use 2 hands when saving the ball.

Actually, only one of these is a rule.

The Stand rule is an abomination, no argument there.

The run a mile from a kick out is simple incompetence from the umpires, the rule clearly state that you cannot run further than 15m without either disposing of the ball or bouncing it. Why they allow this is a mystery.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Number of shocking decisions paid both ways last night.

The night before geelong got alot of soft frees in their fwd line especially early on.

Reactions: 1 user

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Seem the same thing happening with the other line at the supermarket which "always" moves faster than mine, and why the passport check line at immigration (remember that?) "always" gets done quicker than the one I'm in, and the cars in the other lane are "always" moving faster than the lane I am in.

Mind you, the AFL and the umpiring department are conspiring to defraud the Tigers of their rightful glory. *smile* cheats!

• Haha

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
This bloke on twitter is very level headed. Too level headed for my liking :). He puts up these ump decision schedules. It's a good baseline to start arguments with. What it doesn't pickup is the 50:50 or 60:40 decisions that go one way all night. For instance he's missing 01:15 McCarthy elbowed in the head before taking the defender to the ground. Should've been a free kick 10 out.

ump4.jpg

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Number of shocking decisions paid both ways last night.

The night before geelong got alot of soft frees in their fwd line especially early on.
I was arguing the cats game with that ump dude on twitter precisely this. He kept saying they were there with the strictest interpretation. I'm certain the cats are umpired to a different standard but I'd need to go through the game to find examples the other way that were not rewarded. I'm happy with my gut feel but I could be biased as I hate em!!

Last edited:

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
Think you'll find they actually get paid very, very well for what they have to do and hours devoted, compared to the average Joe. Hard to obtain up to date info, of course, being AFL.
There was an article or report somewhere a few years ago that discussed Field Umpires pay. Was somewhere in the vicinity of $1500-$2000 per game.
2k+ would not be far off their current rate. Not a bad seasonal gig.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I was arguing the cats game with that ump dude on twitter precisely this. He kept saying they were there with the strictest interpretation. I'm certain the cats are umpired to a different standard but I'd need to go through the game to find examples the other way that were not rewarded. I'm happy with my gut feel but I could be biased as I hate em!!

Thing is, you can justify most frees with a strict interpretation. But they don't always go for the strict interpretation.

Problems are twofold: inconsistency of interpretation, rules too open to interpretation.

What sh1ts me is the rules which are not open to interpretation: holding the man is pretty straight forward, interpretation (not sure how you have to interpret this) is really inconsistent.

DS

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
There was an article or report somewhere a few years ago that discussed Field Umpires pay. Was somewhere in the vicinity of $1500-$2000 per game.
take off a zero and that's what they're worth currently ..

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
So our issue is consistency.
So true. All we want is a consistent rule interpretation applied to every team in every game. Examples are we get the rule of the week for the first two matches and then forgotten and the good old HTB that changes from minute to minute depending on the team

Reactions: 3 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
I've known two different AFL umpires. One a goal umpire and the other a reasonably respected field umpire. I wasn't a drinking buddy or anything, so not going to claim I was close, but trusted enough. One was extended family and the other married our neighbour.

Both left the AFL ("retired") after getting frustrated at the internal politics of the umpiring department. It was a few Umpiring coaches ago, but they mentioned things like finals umpire allocations, would always go to the "in crowd", particularly closer to the GF.
The in-crowd were the type who'd jump on board behind the rule changes without questioning the decisions. The politics seemed like run of the mill office type politics to me in hindsight. Being in the "in group" would get you better games (umpires hate umpiring cellar dwellers just like crowds avoid watching them), less travel, etc. Helped if you liked a drink with the boys, or had others vouch for you when you joined the ranks.
The AFL also loved to try push diversity through the ranks as it was good PR.
The goal umpire joked that he might get a better run if he was an indigenous lesbian or if he could claim he was a refugee (unlikely - he had German heritage).
I wonder if those types of cultural issues in the umpiring ranks have been addressed? Been a pretty tumultuous year for the fraternity and some experience seems to be dropping off or out of favour. Unhappy workers often translate to poor performance....
I'm probably building a really thin straw man here, but I reckon there's a lot not right behind the scenes.

Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I've known two different AFL umpires. One a goal umpire and the other a reasonably respected field umpire. I wasn't a drinking buddy or anything, so not going to claim I was close, but trusted enough. One was extended family and the other married our neighbour.

Both left the AFL ("retired") after getting frustrated at the internal politics of the umpiring department. It was a few Umpiring coaches ago, but they mentioned things like finals umpire allocations, would always go to the "in crowd", particularly closer to the GF.
The in-crowd were the type who'd jump on board behind the rule changes without questioning the decisions. The politics seemed like run of the mill office type politics to me in hindsight. Being in the "in group" would get you better games (umpires hate umpiring cellar dwellers just like crowds avoid watching them), less travel, etc. Helped if you liked a drink with the boys, or had others vouch for you when you joined the ranks.
The AFL also loved to try push diversity through the ranks as it was good PR.
The goal umpire joked that he might get a better run if he was an indigenous lesbian or if he could claim he was a refugee (unlikely - he had German heritage).
I wonder if those types of cultural issues in the umpiring ranks have been addressed? Been a pretty tumultuous year for the fraternity and some experience seems to be dropping off or out of favour. Unhappy workers often translate to poor performance....
I'm probably building a really thin straw man here, but I reckon there's a lot not right behind the scenes.

Sounds like the way the whole of the AFL is run.