Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Terrible efforts by the players, Pathetic. Umpires did their job, we didn't.

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I don't think I know the game anymore. Everytime the umpire blows the whistle, I have no idea which way he's gonna point.

I think the players are confused as well.

Reactions: 9 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I don't think I know the game anymore. Everytime the umpire blows the whistle, I have no idea which way he's gonna point.

Same here Bin. Sick of this now.

Reactions: 1 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Crumples is not gonna be happy. There's a new kid on the block.

Side note: imagine actually training for that 'skill' This game has become a joke
Yep…hence why I’m not even angry for the first time in 40 years. This is NOT AFL/VFL football we grew up with…it’s become a hybrid game of that and it is what it is. Our time has passed.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014

Couldn't agree more. That free kick against Edwards for kicking in danger could have easily been contact below the knees. Just depends on which umpire you get, in which position, on which day.

Graham instinctively throws the ball back to Edwards, who also thinks it's his free. 50!

Of course he's frustrated!

In suburban footy the ump has common sense, and the ball is thrown back to the Carlton bloke. No problems

AFL has become impossible to umpire and is quickly becoming impossible to watch .

Reactions: 8 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
At the risk of sounding like one of the moderators of this forum, forget the umpires. Our discipline is a disgrace and has been for a while, merely covered by the fact we were successful.

There are a few mid tier players who behave in a cavalier manner in this regard and aren’t matchwinners to be able to get away with it. They can *smile* off.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The umpires got totally over involved, but they were the least of our issues tonight.

We were horrendous on so many fronts, and we have so many problems ourselves, just forget about the umpiring.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Couldn't agree more. That free kick against Edwards for kicking in danger could have easily been contact below the knees. Just depends on which umpire you get, in which position, on which day.

Graham instinctively throws the ball back to Edwards, who also thinks it's his free. 50!

In suburban footy the ump has common sense, and the ball is thrown back to the Carlton bloke. No problems

AFL has become impossible to umpire and is quickly becoming impossible to watch .

This one really gets me, if the umpire has not signalled who is to get the free, then they simply can't award a 50 for not returning the ball to the correct player.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009

No wonder there is a gag order placed on the players

• Haha

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007

Trying to explain the 50M penalties to my young daughter who
Is learning the game, and just started playing, emphasised to me the farce it has become. Really sad actually, especially the part where the player cannot move up to the mark, gets told to stand somewhere random - it is sad what they are doing

• Angry

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007

Was actually worse than that - the Ump put his arm out to the right signalling our free kick. A total shambles

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Trying to explain the 50M penalties to my young daughter who
Is learning the game, and just started playing, emphasised to me the farce it has become. Really sad actually, especially the part where the player cannot move up to the mark, gets told to stand somewhere random - it is sad what they are doing
Similar at this house mate. My 7yo son was asking whats happening, whats this free for whats this 50m for?

I tried to explain, he walked off and played NBA Basketball on XBOX.

Dont blame him, i turned over few times to watch the races.

Im really losing interest and its round 1.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Similar at this house mate. My 7yo son was asking whats happening, whats this free for whats this 50m for?

I tried to explain, he walked off and played NBA Basketball on XBOX.

Dont blame him, i turned over few times to watch the races.

Im really losing interest and its round 1.
My 12 year old daughter was asking the same at the ground. She kept saying it was a stupid rule and shouldn't exist. This from someone that struggles to watch the whole game. Maybe the AFL need to review the impact these rules are having on the long term future of the game.

I have no problem calling our players out for not being disciplined enough within the rules, but should the rules really exist in this format? Does the penalty really fit the "crime"?

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
At the risk of sounding like one of the moderators of this forum, forget the umpires. Our discipline is a disgrace and has been for a while, merely covered by the fact we were successful.

There are a few mid tier players who behave in a cavalier manner in this regard and aren’t matchwinners to be able to get away with it. They can *smile* off.
So this. We showed ego last night, heaps of it. Give up at least three or four goals from 50's. It was pretty embarrassing.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So this. We showed ego last night, heaps of it. Give up at least three or four goals from 50's. It was pretty embarrassing.

and funnily enough, whilst we got battered at clearances, thats the game right there in the amount of kicks at goal we gave them due to the 50;s.

From memory at ;east 3 directly, Hewitt (the only 50 I thought was unlucky), Cerra (from the 100), Cripps kicked from a 50 (I think he was passed it but the 50 gave them, the opportunity - might have been from the Lynch 50 in the 2nd quarter) and there were a number of minor scores from the 50's too.

The thing that really hurts this, is we set up a defensive zone, but by giving away these 50's (and many were around the central area, so they almost always brought them inside 50) it enables Carlton an easy bypass of our zone, takes out entire gameplan out of it.