Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
and funnily enough, whilst we got battered at clearances, thats the game right there in the amount of kicks at goal we gave them due to the 50;s.

From memory at ;east 3 directly, Hewitt (the only 50 I thought was unlucky), Cerra (from the 100), Cripps kicked from a 50 (I think he was passed it but the 50 gave them, the opportunity - might have been from the Lynch 50 in the 2nd quarter) and there were a number of minor scores from the 50's too.

The thing that really hurts this, is we set up a defensive zone, but by giving away these 50's (and many were around the central area, so they almost always brought them inside 50) it enables Carlton an easy bypass of our zone, takes out entire gameplan out of it.
the 50s were all there, some were unlucky- Lynch, maybe Soldo (but the ump clearly said stay out) maybe Graham for his initial reaction to the free against, and some were stupid Graham's 2nd 50, Grimes not taking care to kick the ball back, Edwards bump off the ball while on the mark.

Reactions: 1 user

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Lets see what happens with Graham. Caddy was banished for a few weeks based on his ill discipline and multiple 50's.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
the 50s were all there, some were unlucky- Lynch, maybe Soldo (but the ump clearly said stay out) maybe Graham for his initial reaction to the free against, and some were stupid Graham's 2nd 50, Grimes not taking care to kick the ball back, Edwards bump off the ball while on the mark.

Agree (other than maybe the Graham one when he threw it to Edwards) but all the others were definitely there. Massive lack of discipline and misunderstanding of the rules.

I wasn't trying to highlight the umpires were poor on those decisions just that level of ill discipline hurt us badly with the way we structure at the back. We lost by 25 and probably gave them about that due to the 50's, had we not given them away, we may have been able to repel those attacking chains and not conceded.

Entirely self inflicted but its hugely frustrating, especially when it comes from your leaders, Grimes (that has to be about the worst kick I have ever seen from him), Lynch, Graham, Edwards etc

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Edwards threw the ball to someone on our team after a Carlton free kick too. So 2 against Edwards.
Its not HRS, Ross, Gibcus doing it. Its our senior players discipline cost a game of football.

oops apologies to Edwards it was Graham who gave away 3.

Last edited:

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Agree (other than maybe the Graham one when he threw it to Edwards) but all the others were definitely there. Massive lack of discipline and misunderstanding of the rules.

I wasn't trying to highlight the umpires were poor on those decisions just that level of ill discipline hurt us badly with the way we structure at the back. We lost by 25 and probably gave them about that due to the 50's, had we not given them away, we may have been able to repel those attacking chains and not conceded.

Entirely self inflicted but its hugely frustrating, especially when it comes from your leaders, Grimes (that has to be about the worst kick I have ever seen from him), Lynch, Graham, Edwards etc
unfortunately for Graham if you throw the ball the wrong way it will generally be 50. you need to make sure who got the free.

i think Grimes was trying to run back quickly so just fluffed the kick, and the Carlton player obviously didnt try too hard to catch it. (nor should he).

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Edwards threw the ball to someone on our team after a Carlton free kick too. So 2 against Edwards. Complete lack of awareness from a 300 game player. At least Grimes redeemed himself. He was the only one.
Its not HRS, Ross, Gibcus doing it. Its our senior players discipline cost a game of football.
Spewing. I was hoping 2021 was the aberration.

oops apologies to Edwards it was Graham who gave away 3.
The umpire signalled with hand out to the right suggesting it was our free kick. That 50 was a farce because of that umpire error. That is one signal the players look for in the heat. Maybe it didn’t show up on TV but that is what happened

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
unfortunately for Graham if you throw the ball the wrong way it will generally be 50. you need to make sure who got the free.

i think Grimes was trying to run back quickly so just fluffed the kick, and the Carlton player obviously didnt try too hard to catch it. (nor should he).
The Umpire signalled the wrong way for the Graham one. Do not expect this to be highlighted by afl media

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
The Umpire signalled the wrong way for the Graham one. Do not expect this to be highlighted by afl media
You cant see the ump on TV, but every player, from both teams, started running towards Carltons forward line so they knew who the free was too.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
If we saw Bevo burst out for a journo, let's hope we see another coach (probably Dimma) burst out for this rubbish rule and interpretation.

• Love

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
The umpire signalled with hand out to the right suggesting it was our free kick. That 50 was a farce because of that umpire error. That is one signal the players look for in the heat. Maybe it didn’t show up on TV but that is what happened

In the replay the ump calls "Carlton." So the umps got one wrong. If the crowd is loud. Ump error then. Should have more leeway anyhow.
What did Graham learn? Gave away the 100 after that.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005

Yep I was at the ground and he made the signal for a Richmond free. Potentially he was pointing at who the ball should be returned to but he did it with an open faced palm IMO.

It’s just ludicrous this sort of stuff is 50 and confusing

They need to clarify the protocols and communicate it to fans and players.

Eg the player can ask who the free is to and if they don’t ask and then guess wrong and return it to the wrong player it is 50. If the player doesn’t hear the umpire or isn’t sure he may ask only one more time for clarity then it is deemed time wasting and will be 50. If a player who is on the team receiving the free kick makes no attempt to gather a slightly errant throw or return then This will not be deemed 50m.

I’d much rather this was all just 15m and paid for very minor stuff vs 50m and paid inconsistently.

Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
(Read the full paragraph before opening spoilers)

(Read the full article before opening spoilers)
(Read the full article before opening prisoners)
(Before opening the prisoner, read the full article)
(Before the prisoner is opened, read the full article)
(Read the full article before opening the door to detention)
(Read in full before the quarantine door opens)
(... ...)
... :ban

You can change 36 colors by looking directly into your own eyes.

You can change 36 colors depending on the direct appearance of the eyes.

Ice Jewelry - You can hear 36 and change your voice. Ken stopped and apologized.

Mirror Beauty - There are 36 ways to listen and change your voice. Kane stood up and apologized.

Mirrors are beautiful -- there are 36 ways your voice can be heard and changed. Cain stood up and asked forgiveness.

The mirror is beautiful -- there are 36 ways to make your voice heard and change your life. Falau stood up and apologized.

Hey, the bottle was good. There are 36 options where you can hear words and change your lifestyle. They stood at the door and apologized for the letter.

The bottle was good on a good day. There are 36 options, but you can hear the words and change how it works. They stood up at the door and apologized for the letter.

Princes are usually very high when they become citizens. We have not seen 36 people vote, but unfortunately we got the chance to listen to these words and change our tastes. They closed their eyes in English and apologized at the door.

Judges were generally citizens and were very high. We didn't see 36 people making choices, but unfortunately we had the opportunity to listen to these discussions and change our choices. The blindfolded in English and asked forgiveness at the door.

The judge went public, and the question was complicated. I've never seen 36 people vote, but unfortunately we have the opportunity to hear controversial and changeable voices, and blind people like Google have come back to English and apologized to Windows.

The judge did it publicly and the problem was right. I've never seen 36 people fly, I don't know. Unfortunately, we have the opportunity to feel controversial and transformative. The blind, like Google, returned to English and apologized for Windows.

The judge did it publicly and the question was correct. I've never seen 36 people vote, I don't know. Unfortunately, we have a chance to make controversial and transformative noises. Like Google, the blind have returned to English and are apologising for Windows.

Problem.

The judge did his part, the problem was the law. I never saw 36 people flying, I don't know. Sadly, we have had the opportunity to look at only the contradictory, transformation. The visually impaired returned to English as Google and I apologise for the window.

Problems.

The judges did their part, the problem was the law. I never saw 36 people flying, I don't know. Unfortunately, we have the opportunity to look at the controversy, just a change. The blind order is back in English as Google, and I apologize for the window.

Questions.

The judges worked. The problem is the law. I've never seen 36 people fly. I do not know. But, unfortunately, if you had the opportunity to re-investigate the controversy and investigate the matter, it would be conceivable. This is just a change. The blind system, like Google, is back to English. He apologized at the window.

Simple question.

And the judges played a role. The problem is the law. For me, there is no hope to see a beautiful photograph of 36 people running through the air. This is not required. Unfortunately, those among us who are watching are inspired to think of such situations. This problem is only a temporary replacement. I suppose... This Braille app is like being placed on Google and returning to the existing English language. The excuses came from the window.

A simple question.

The judges fulfilled their duties. The problem is the rules. To me, it is hopeless to see a beautiful photo of 36 people running in an open space. There is no need to do this. Unfortunately, those of us who observe us are encouraged to think about similar situations. A passage sums up this issue. I want to say, maybe... This Braille app is like placing content in Google's language and then returning it to the fun English available. Rationality bubbles up from the window.

Oversimplified issues.

The judges did their job. Rules are the problem. Are you saying that rule-makers seek consistency over flexibility? For me, the dash of common sense is a necessity for a gorgeous free-flowing scene with 36 men bumping into an open field. It doesn't have to be. Unfortunately, our scapegoat referees are encouraged to evaluate a wide range of slightly different positions as identical. Complexity is summarized in one reference. Are you saying that's a fair description? I mean, maybe... This brailling application is like placing the text in Google language and then restoring it to the fun English that it provides. What about the outcome? Reasonableness comes out of the window.

The Oversimplification Problem.

The umpires did their job. The rules are the problem. Would you say the rule makers seek consistency over flexibility? For mine, a dash of common sense is a necessity for a wonderfully free-flowing spectacle with 36 men colliding in an open field. It's not to be. Unfortunately, our scapegoat umpires are encouraged to assess a wide range of slightly different situations as identical. Complexity is boiled down to a single cue. Would you say that's a fair description? I mean, perhaps... that blind simplification process is like putting text into google translate and then reinserting the result back into google translate for the funny English it produces. The result? Logic goes out the window.

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
There's been a rule change for those wishing to explore the above rabbit hole - mobile browsing is not permitted.

You will get stuck before you can see the end of the simplification experiment.

Rules are rules.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I saw a fair bit of tonight's game between those 2 teams who have won F All premierships since the end of the war. One of the things I noticed was umpires calling out something like 5 metres clear when no one was on the mark. I did not notice this on Wednesday night, and I was at the game on Thursday so you don't really get to hear it in the crowd.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Is it something new?

Would have helped a situation like the one Soldo was in. If they are going to have insane rules like the stand rule, actually telling players what the situation is at the time would be helpful because it is such a sh*tfull rule it can be bloody hard to work out.

DS

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Watched the entire Aints vs Colonwood game and found the umpiring/interpretation almost polar opposite to Wednesday night. It was actually a free flowing enjoyable game to watch, one the afl would be happy with...

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Whilst much of it was self inflicted because they are the rules I still believe that 50 metres are a massive penalty for what in the end are very minor indiscretions.
It is hard to kick goals in AFL and so it should be but that level of penalty for minor stuff is just a blight on the game imo.
I’m not saying that to give us a free pass for our own lack of discipline I just hate 50s being given for so little, I just reckon the rules around them are wrong.

Reactions: 10 users

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
I have a feeling what happened last night was the broadcasters increased the volume of the umpire mics on the broadcast because a certain umpire was officiating.

And that certain umpire loves the limelight.

Hate him since he basically stopped a game at a ball up to lecture Grigg about some rule. Made it all about him. Don't make the game about you and just shut the *smile* up.

Reactions: 4 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Will any other team get close to 10 X 50m penalties this round? This year?

Umpires boss: Ok, lads and Eleni, I want you all to really concentrate on the abuse rule this week - but don't forget about the 7 other rules we changed this season, and do your best to read the players minds on their intent to keep the ball in, while simultaneously gauging how far they have run and how far they have kicked it. But try and keep a feel for the game, but put the whistle away if it gets closer at the end. And remember the golden Gil rule... If a Richmond player even has a calf spasm when manning the mark then that's movement, instant 50m.

Who'd be an AFL umpire?

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Genuine question, did we actually have a 50 for moving on the mark? It's been established the Soldo and one we thought was Edwards weren't for that, then there was three stupid ones by Grimes and Graham.

I can't quite remember the others, maybe one from Lynch was?

Lynch ran through the protected area for one. Balta placed the ball on the ground instead of giving to the Carlton player (might have been Saad) after yet another Aarts HTB.

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Does anyone genuinely feel that the game (in general) would be worse if they got rid of the “contact below the knees” rule? I don’t remember the last time I saw anybody slide in in the manner that the rule was brought in for.