Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
No its a massive punishment for the player playing the ball.

So since Rohan broke his leg, how many games have you seen players sliding in and collecting legs? How many of those legs were broken?

It was a knee jerk reaction to a freak accident.
I thought Marlion was really stiff. If anything the Carlton player ran into him. If common sense (something that is in very short supply at the AFL) prevails that’s play on.

Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
There's a bloke called Jaymie Graham who would probably disagree pretty strongly with you.

Feel free to google it but be prepared for an awful sight.
I had a bit to do with Jaymie as a young bloke, I remember it well so I won't be looking through the WAFL archives TBR. It sticks in my head like Browns leg.
Still didn't think Pickets action was able to be forceful enough to cause any Jaymie like injury.
But, the AFL is always right I guess.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
They should tweak the stand rule so they more diligently police players creeping forward of the mark - but let players move freely perpendicularly to the line between the mark and the goals.

(This was the original rule but don’t think they policed players cribbing forwards enough)

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
They should tweak the stand rule so they more diligently police players creeping forward of the mark - but let players move freely perpendicularly to the line between the mark and the goals.

(This was the original rule but don’t think they policed players cribbing forwards enough)
Exactly. Players were great at going over the mark just enough to delay the play. Umpires just needed to penalise those infringements.

HKTigerB

Tiger Rookie
Jun 24, 2019
Well Freo have a right to have a good old whinge tonight. I've got no bone in that fight but that has been abysmal with near identical situations paid opposite ways throughout that quarter (3rd). And when you're 5 metres back off the mark you don't have to "Stand" and if you can't visualise 5 metres, get another job.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I'm sure the umpire defenders will have a good reason why the Crows are winning the free kick count 31-14.

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I'm sure the umpire defenders will have a good reason why the Crows are winning the free kick count 31-14.
And the non-decisions around intentional/deliverate/non-intentional out of bounds were surprising. The umpires clearly are confused by the rule. The AFL should come out and explain every decision/non-decision for the weekend. It might clarify a few things for players and fans,

I doubt hey would do such a thing. but it would be very educcational.

Hopefuly TBR will help out here - just need someone to cut and paste the decisions/non-decisions.

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
And the non-decisions around intentional/deliverate/non-intentional out of bounds were surprising. The umpires clearly are confused by the rule. The AFL should come out and explain every decision/non-decision for the weekend. It might clarify a few things for players and fans,

Hopefuly TBR will help out here - just need someone to cut and paste the decisions/non-decisions.

It was a shocker. So many frees paid to the advantage of the Crows. 5m passes called as a mark, high tackles not paid to Freo, Fogarty playing on when he's out of bounds, there were so many strange decisions particularly in the 3rd quarter.

• Angry

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013

Oh to be a contrarian. It's the only way one could make a positive contribution to an umpires thread.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
It's amazing isn't it, the AFL complain about "Umpire abuse" & supposedly crack down it, which has only increased the abuse that the poor bu66ers get.

In reality the AFL is the cause of so much of the angst felt by the supporter/watcher/viewers due to their incessant meddling with the rules.
The continual changes of rules, interpretations, "clarifications etc etc drive most people to the brink of despair. They've also made the rules so complex that the umpires job has become incredibly difficult to perform with any consistency.

How many times have we seen 2 umpires look at the same incident & have different interpretations of what happened, that in itself tells me that it's a lottery & really not how the rules of a PROFESSIONAL sport should be set up.

Reactions: 10 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
You cant see the ump on TV, but every player, from both teams, started running towards Carltons forward line so they knew who the free was too.
I’m telling you what the Ump did. You can’t see the ump. Easy misunderstanding and explains what Graham did. If it’s a tiger kick he wants to get it back quickly, was Edwards yeah.? I reckon Edwards may have even called for the ball that further suggested to Graham it was a tiger kick.
What is your belief? Graham thought it was Carlton’s kick but threw it to Edwards anyway? The Umpire signalled incorrectly

Reactions: 2 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Yep I was at the ground and he made the signal for a Richmond free. Potentially he was pointing at who the ball should be returned to but he did it with an open faced palm IMO.

It’s just ludicrous this sort of stuff is 50 and confusing

They need to clarify the protocols and communicate it to fans and players.

Eg the player can ask who the free is to and if they don’t ask and then guess wrong and return it to the wrong player it is 50. If the player doesn’t hear the umpire or isn’t sure he may ask only one more time for clarity then it is deemed time wasting and will be 50. If a player who is on the team receiving the free kick makes no attempt to gather a slightly errant throw or return then This will not be deemed 50m.

I’d much rather this was all just 15m and paid for very minor stuff vs 50m and paid inconsistently.
Thankfully someone else saw it, absolves Graham completely

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I’m telling you what the Ump did. You can’t see the ump. Easy misunderstanding and explains what Graham did. If it’s a tiger kick he wants to get it back quickly, was Edwards yeah.? I reckon Edwards may have even called for the ball that further suggested to Graham it was a tiger kick.
What is your belief? Graham thought it was Carlton’s kick but threw it to Edwards anyway? The Umpire signalled incorrectly
Edwards may have called for the ball, but every other player ran to the Carlton forward line. it appears every player near the contest knew it was a Carltoon free, except Graham and Edwards. players needs to check who the free is to before throwing it. it is that simple.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Edwards may have called for the ball, but every other player ran to the Carlton forward line. it appears every player near the contest knew it was a Carltoon free, except Graham and Edwards. players needs to check who the free is to before throwing it. it is that simple.
Yeah no worries simple - from your lounge chair !

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
I would like to make two points; the umpires are not professionals they are enthusiastic amateurs and that is one of the causes of the inconsistencies. AFL umpiring should be a profession with excellent remuneration and therefore attract and retain more numbers. The second point is that AFL umpiring requires as much physical ability as judgemental capability. WHY? I can give better and more consistent decisions watching my TV. The primary selection of an umpire is his physical attributes not his judgement. If you cannot run like a hairy goat for 4 quarters you need not apply even though you might be the best fat junior league umpire ever seen.
Think out of the box and remove the elite physical constraint, and promote on quality decisions. Respect is earned not imposed.
I have some ideas about the physical side but would like some from the keyboard clan.

Reactions: 3 users

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Thought those umpires would of got more involved in the final minutes of Crows V Freo game, I was waiting for a howler, amazed it didn't happen.