Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah I could very well be wrong I grant you that. But I just don't think you can have 2 million dollar mids in one side, they'll go with CP, and then won't be able to match the offers from elsewhere for CO. Its like having 2 Dustys in market terms, we struggled to hang on to one. We'll see.
Petracca signed before last season for 7 years for a reported $6-6.5m. Gawn and May will both be 31 before next season. They could structure it.

We had Dusty $1.1m, Cotch 800ish, Dion 750ish. We had to shed the likes of Brando. They will lose players, but my money would be on the likes of Tomlinson, Harmes, maybe Brayshaw.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Petracca signed before last season for 7 years for a reported $6-6.5m. Gawn and May will both be 31 before next season. They could structure it.

We had Dusty $1.1m, Cotch 800ish, Dion 750ish. We had to shed the likes of Brando. They will lose players, but my money would be on the likes of Tomlinson, Harmes, maybe Brayshaw.
Like I said, I could be wrong, but considering all variables and complexities of timing and the market, I disagree. Those role players you mention are irrelevant to this debate. My money is on Oliver taking the motza he will inevitably be offered, but by no means do I think its a sure bet.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Reckon Brayshaw is the one, which is why they aren't playing him in the guts. He'll be at another club next year, he will leave as a FA.

Roksman

Tiger Rookie
Feb 12, 2020
I have barely missed a game in Melbourne over the past 10 years - I will not be going on Saturday night.

It's not about losing, I've seen plenty of losses. I just cannot willingly support this umpiring anymore farce anymore.

There's too much to go through, but the Gresham throw completely changed the momentum of the game (and of course Grimes' hammy).

Reactions: 4 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I reckon we still would have lost if we'd had an armchair ride, but they were terrible. HTB? Forget it if its in our fwd line. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I think its about incompetence and unconscious bias, but you have to wonder sometimes.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Like I said, I could be wrong, but considering all variables and complexities of timing and the market, I disagree. Those role players you mention are irrelevant to this debate. My money is on Oliver taking the motza he will inevitably be offered, but by no means do I think its a sure bet.
I hope you're right but that would be 'dynasty' over for them. Just can't see it. They'll replace three blokes on a combined $1.5m with draftees, like we did.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I just saw the Gresham throw.
That was a volley throw and none of the 3 paid a throw.
It's embarrassing

• Angry

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I just saw the Gresham throw.
That was a volley throw and none of the 3 paid a throw.
It's embarrassing

I could see it from the other end of the ground, and the replay on the board just confirmed what I saw. How all 3 missed that is simply stunning, but no doubt they will all be umpiring AFL again next week so seemingly no penalty for bad form when you are an umpire.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I could see it from the other end of the ground, and the replay on the board just confirmed what I saw. How all 3 missed that is simply stunning, but no doubt they will all be umpiring AFL again next week so seemingly no penalty for bad form when you are an umpire.

DS

Thats what happens when you get geeks that have never played the game umpiring. Someone who has played the game knows that its impossible to handball that far whilst being tackled to the ground. The maggots though don't have a clue and because they couldn't see it clearly just allowed play on.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Thats what happens when you get geeks that have never played the game umpiring. Someone who has played the game knows that its impossible to handball that far whilst being tackled to the ground. The maggots though don't have a clue and because they couldn't see it clearly just allowed play on.

I seriously don't think you need to have played the game to see that one as a throw, it was so bleedingly obvious it just wasn't funny.

Where's the media on this, where's the outrage about umpiring standards?

What a f*cking joke.

DS

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I seriously don't think you need to have played the game to see that one as a throw, it was so bleedingly obvious it just wasn't funny.

What a f*cking joke.

DS
The AFL and by extension the media hate us. Its why they changed the 3 rules to deliberately target our game plan and why they are running a smear campaign to ensure Benny doesn't get the top job.

1. 6,6,6
2. Stand Rule; and
3. The play on from fullback after a point (to get past our high zone)

These were all implemented to crush our game. When an organisation changes the integrity of the game to work against you they ain't going to give a hoot about the 6-8 shocking umpiring decisions we cop each week. In fact they likely encourage it which is why we are always on the wrong end of the count. Once we are crap again the balance will be restored and they'll pretend nothing ever happened.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The ump at the time was signalling he’d hand balled :bash

Maybe we need to get him to show us how the ball came out like that, by getting him down to training and let Marlion ragdoll him like he did to Gresham, maybe then he'll finally realise that it was almost impossible to handball that and the only way to dispose of it like that was a dead set throw.

Would be fun for Marlion to ragdoll an umpire too. They should let us all watch too, cheering from the sidelines.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Maybe we need to get him to show us how the ball came out like that, by getting him down to training and let Marlion ragdoll him like he did to Gresham, maybe then he'll finally realise that it was almost impossible to handball that and the only way to dispose of it like that was a dead set throw.

Would be fun for Marlion to ragdoll an umpire too. They should let us all watch too, cheering from the sidelines.

They could sell tickets at a premium, include packages - dinner and the show of course, and the umpire can demonstrate the "handpassing" technique he observed.

DS

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Aren't we meant to start getting more free kicks now we are not the top dog? Wasn't one of the arguments that premiership teams usually play a little bit closer to the edge and give away more frees?

I'd hope we at least start winning the free kick counts as we slide down the ladder.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Aren't we meant to start getting more free kicks now we are not the top dog? Wasn't one of the arguments that premiership teams usually play a little bit closer to the edge and give away more frees?

I'd hope we at least start winning the free kick counts as we slide down the ladder.

Good luck with that - 423 for and 440 against in our stellar year of 2016.

Gee, didn't we have a different game style back then, yet we still lose the free kicks . . .

DS

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008

What a f*cking joke.

DS
I am going out on a limb and saying the umpiring standards of the Bulldogs game will be on AFL 360 and On The Couch etc but no mention of the Tigers game at all unless they show one where the Saints missed out.

• Haha