Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
we are trail blazers.

first ever player penalised for a rushed behind: Luke McGuane
first player ever penalised for marking a ball in a game with a huge crowd when the touched off the boot call couldn;t be heard: Bachar Houli (and hasn't happened since)
first ever player penalised for appealing for a free kick that wasn't paid: Tom Lynch
You missed having a suspension increased by the AFL after a tribunal decision was considered inadequate.

Reactions: 4 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
we are trail blazers.

first ever player penalised for a rushed behind: Luke McGuane
first player ever penalised for marking a ball in a game with a huge crowd when the touched off the boot call couldn;t be heard: Bachar Houli (and hasn't happened since)
first ever player penalised for appealing for a free kick that wasn't paid: Tom Lynch
Franklin does what Lynch did 20 times a game. Has he ever been penalised? Will he ever be? Of course not; it’s Buddy.

What a farce Gil, Shocking and Pepper Scott have made this once great game.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I keep waiting for some git to penalise one of our players for overrunning his 30 seconds on the shot clock. I can see it, they will blow the whistle as the player is walking in to kick. I’m surprised one of the maggots haven’t thought of it yet.

Go back to the Melbourne game, Balta called to play on while lining up for goal, except . . . the shot clock was nowhere near running down.

It's a joke.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Go back to the Melbourne game, Balta called to play on while lining up for goal, except . . . the shot clock was nowhere near running down.

It's a joke.

DS
Thats because the ump decided Balta could not kick it 55 meters even when he said he was having a shot - absolute joke.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Stackey

Tiger Rookie
Jan 13, 2022
It's all sizzle and no sausage. Without an analysis of every decision for the entire game there's no depth to an discussion on umpiring.
And then with an over analysis of said maggot decision we are left with an over cooked dry sausage!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I was unable to watch the game yesterday after the first minute, so am in no position to comment on anything but I saw two things that interested me.

In the first minute Nankervis gave away the first free kick of the game. I love Nankervis and have enormous respect for what he has done for our club, but the words to describe his action that caused the first free are soft, stupid, careless and technically pathetic. It is an absolutely woeful example of how to approach an opponent over the ball. A pointless, nothing free kick that you could be forgiven for thinking was the result of not caring.

Then today I saw a clip of Biggie Nyuon in a very similar position with an opposition player over the ball. He uses a flawless technique, positions himself perfectly and executes a perfect tackle which creates a ball up.

I looked up the two players free kicks stats from yesterday. Nankervis 0-6, Nyuon 1-0. To me, it's not rocket science.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
If you thought yesterday was bad you should check out the VFL game. The most blatant display of deliberate cheating in the history of the game

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Franklin does what Lynch did 20 times a game. Has he ever been penalised? Will he ever be? Of course not; it’s Buddy.

What a farce Gil, Shocking and Pepper Scott have made this once great game.
Buddy’s allowed to do whatever he wants.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
I was unable to watch the game yesterday after the first minute, so am in no position to comment on anything but I saw two things that interested me.

In the first minute Nankervis gave away the first free kick of the game. I love Nankervis and have enormous respect for what he has done for our club, but the words to describe his action that caused the first free are soft, stupid, careless and technically pathetic. It is an absolutely woeful example of how to approach an opponent over the ball. A pointless, nothing free kick that you could be forgiven for thinking was the result of not caring.

Then today I saw a clip of Biggie Nyuon in a very similar position with an opposition player over the ball. He uses a flawless technique, positions himself perfectly and executes a perfect tackle which creates a ball up.

I looked up the two players free kicks stats from yesterday. Nankervis 0-6, Nyuon 1-0. To me, it's not rocket science.
the one where Nank tries to stop, while the hawks picks the ball up while on his feet, but then falls onto his knees and into Nank?
It must have also been his technique when a hawk jumped into him about 30 out from their goal and didnt touch the ball but stopped Nank from contesting, allowing another hawk to take an easy mark. Sicily did the same thing up the other end, jumping into Lynch, allowing his team mate to take an uncontested mark. Jack has had multiple frees paid against him when he gotten a lot closer.

Reactions: 1 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004

You are comparing apples to oranges BR, Nanks is a big bodied ruckman involved in play over the ground Biggy is an athlete who hardly got near the ball.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
@The Big Richo its generally not the frees against that concern me. We have some serial offenders that you have pointed out. Vlaustin. Nankervis. Pickett.

It’s the ones we don’t get. Either every other team trains for this and we don’t or there is bias. Our frees for sucks.

The logic is that every other team infringes against every other team more than they infringe against us over a long time frame.

When finals come around though this seems to disappear (except vs Bris in 20)

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
True, but anyone of any size can have a good technique or a poor technique, and the same goes to mindset.

Forget frees against, look at the frees we don't get.

Is it seriously likely that our opposition consistently concede less frees against us that they do in every other game? We are nearly 2 frees for LESS than the next worst (West Coast).

This is the bit that I don't get, we concentrate on differential, but the biggest issue is we just don't receive the same frees that other teams do.

• Love

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The umps will be having a great circle jerk this weekend: “ good work boys, we ducked over both Richmond’s sides this weekend. But we can’t rest on our laurels, it’s a long season boys so let’s get around each other, regroup and come back next weekend and keep up the good work. Now grab a beer and congratulate each other in traditional umpire fashion. “