Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The umps will be having a great circle jerk this weekend: “ good work boys, we ducked over both Richmond’s sides this weekend. But we can’t rest on our laurels, it’s a long season boys so let’s get around each other, regroup and come back next weekend and keep up the good work. Now grab a beer and congratulate each other in traditional umpire fashion. “

The umps get together every weekend, with Gill and Brad Scott, and recite their oath "thou must *smile* Richmond at every opportunity"

Reactions: 3 users

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
The umps will be having a great circle jerk this weekend: “ good work boys, we ducked over both Richmond’s sides this weekend. But we can’t rest on our laurels, it’s a long season boys so let’s get around each other, regroup and come back next weekend and keep up the good work. Now grab a beer and congratulate each other in traditional umpire fashion. “
They would more than likely be drinking chardonnay than beers.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I was unable to watch the game yesterday after the first minute, so am in no position to comment on anything but I saw two things that interested me.

In the first minute Nankervis gave away the first free kick of the game. I love Nankervis and have enormous respect for what he has done for our club, but the words to describe his action that caused the first free are soft, stupid, careless and technically pathetic. It is an absolutely woeful example of how to approach an opponent over the ball. A pointless, nothing free kick that you could be forgiven for thinking was the result of not caring.

Then today I saw a clip of Biggie Nyuon in a very similar position with an opposition player over the ball. He uses a flawless technique, positions himself perfectly and executes a perfect tackle which creates a ball up.

I looked up the two players free kicks stats from yesterday. Nankervis 0-6, Nyuon 1-0. To me, it's not rocket science.
Agree Nank has a tendency to tackle high, he does some seemingly dumb things on the field in that way but you wonder how much may be deliberate? Perhaps to create a little hesitancy in the opposition when he is around?

Regardless, there were 2 frees and a non blocking free that were simply outrageous. The Lynch dissent call is the first I have seen. Watch the replay, 1.10 left in first qtr. Marking contest, Sicily caught out of position, basically holds one of Lynchs arms down in the marking contest. A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player: (c) deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player. Ball spills out of play. Lynch indicates to Ray his arm was held down. Not remonstrating, he actually yelled out to Ray to get his attention (using his name I might add) and showed him his arm was held down. Ray says nup and penalises him for dissent. FFS that is a joke. What a *smile* wanker that guy must be to pay that.

The 50 against Baker in the 3rd qtr. He was the closest man to the contest, ran directly to man the mark. Baker was not more than 6m away when Newcombe marked it and was the nearest player to the ball. Surely he is entitled to go to the mark? Watch a replay, it happened at 17.50 left in 3rd qtr. He was the nearest tigers player and ran directly there. The protected area extends 10m either side of the player that takes the mark and 5m behind him. Baker was within that area when the hawks guy marked it and ran directly to the mark. Bad decision.

13.30 to go in the third, Nash receives a handball and is tackled by Grimes. Nash tries to fend Grimes off whilst being tackled (co incidenbtly the fend is over Grimes shoulder and into his neck). Grimesd hangs on and Nash throws the ball out one handed, he doesn't evenb attempt to get his other hand to it. Play on.

9.10 to go in 3rd qtr, Bolton tackled twice in a row when not in posession. The second one more obvious than the first. Play on. Funnily enough Morrison gets a free paid for a similar incident against Pickett with 8.25 left in the 2nd. We don't get the free, Hawks do.

11.45 to go in the 2nd. Reiwoldt tackles Morrison who has just taken possession, swings him around. Lets him go before he goes right around. Does not dump him. Tellingly he does not pin either of Morrison's arms. Ball spills, Shai kicks the goal. Dumping tackle paid. Wrong again. Incorrect decision followed up with a 50.

15.50 left in first qtr, Vlastuin attempts mark, hawks spoil is chopping his arms. No free. See image attached. Directly after Nank penalised for out of bounds resulting in Hawks shot on goal. Should not have happened.

7.55 left in first. Nank defensively well positioned to long kick forward. Perfectly set to spoil. Lewis comes from behind Nank and jumps directly into him, not a legitimate attempt to mark. A clear interference in marking contest call. Easy. Umpire "doesn't get involved" as commentator remarks. See attached images.
Not a minutre later the Hawks get a pushing call in marking contest from razor.

I could find plenty more. Its frustrating. Vlastuin mark.jpg

Attachments

• Vlastuin mark.jpg
    Vlastuin mark.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 10 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
It’s the ones we don’t get. Either every other team trains for this and we don’t or there is bias. Our frees for sucks.

Forget frees against, look at the frees we don't get.

It would be really interesting to do an analysis on the full figures, but the stats posted a few pages back were quite instructive I think.

We were about even for pushes and holds, for and against, but the big deficiency was in tackle related free kicks. Our high tackles for and against and holding the ball for and against were in deficit by 30 odd.

As I've said I think there's some style of play stuff in there, I think we have favoured manic pressure above technique in tackling. We are frenzy feeders, not stealth hunters. We also have a lot of 'zombies' in the side, high arms and high bodies who don't get close enough or in the right position to lay clean tackles.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree Nank has a tendency to tackle high, he does some seemingly dumb things on the field in that way but you wonder how much may be deliberate? Perhaps to create a little hesitancy in the opposition when he is around?

Regardless, there were 2 frees and a non blocking free that were simply outrageous. The Lynch dissent call is the first I have seen. Watch the replay, 1.10 left in first qtr. Marking contest, Sicily caught out of position, basically holds one of Lynchs arms down in the marking contest. A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player: (c) deliberately interferes with the arms of an opposition Player. Ball spills out of play. Lynch indicates to Ray his arm was held down. Not remonstrating, he actually yelled out to Ray to get his attention (using his name I might add) and showed him his arm was held down. Ray says nup and penalises him for dissent. FFS that is a joke. What a *smile* wanker that guy must be to pay that.

The 50 against Baker in the 3rd qtr. He was the closest man to the contest, ran directly to man the mark. Baker was not more than 6m away when Newcombe marked it and was the nearest player to the ball. Surely he is entitled to go to the mark? Watch a replay, it happened at 17.50 left in 3rd qtr. He was the nearest tigers player and ran directly there. The protected area extends 10m either side of the player that takes the mark and 5m behind him. Baker was within that area when the hawks guy marked it and ran directly to the mark. Bad decision.

13.30 to go in the third, Nash receives a handball and is tackled by Grimes. Nash tries to fend Grimes off whilst being tackled (co incidenbtly the fend is over Grimes shoulder and into his neck). Grimesd hangs on and Nash throws the ball out one handed, he doesn't evenb attempt to get his other hand to it. Play on.

9.10 to go in 3rd qtr, Bolton tackled twice in a row when not in posession. The second one more obvious than the first. Play on. Funnily enough Morrison gets a free paid for a similar incident against Pickett with 8.25 left in the 2nd. We don't get the free, Hawks do.

11.45 to go in the 2nd. Reiwoldt tackles Morrison who has just taken possession, swings him around. Lets him go before he goes right around. Does not dump him. Tellingly he does not pin either of Morrison's arms. Ball spills, Shai kicks the goal. Dumping tackle paid. Wrong again. Incorrect decision followed up with a 50.

15.50 left in first qtr, Vlastuin attempts mark, hawks spoil is chopping his arms. No free. See image attached. Directly after Nank penalised for out of bounds resulting in Hawks shot on goal. Should not have happened.

7.55 left in first. Nank defensively well positioned to long kick forward. Perfectly set to spoil. Lewis comes from behind Nank and jumps directly into him, not a legitimate attempt to mark. A clear interference in marking contest call. Easy. Umpire "doesn't get involved" as commentator remarks. See attached images.
Not a minutre later the Hawks get a pushing call in marking contest from razor.

I could find plenty more. Its frustrating. View attachment 15384

Going back to the Nank deliberate OOB in the 1st quarter. I reckon thats the 1st time that has ever been paid when our defender is within 1m of the ball. Guess who paid it? Yep it was Ray "look at me" Chamberlain. Remind me again, why does he have a nickname?? We don't even really want to know the umps names, we aren't there to watch them, we are there to watch the football and they are their to ensure the football is played within the rules of the game. For the last time Ray - NO-ONE COMES TO WATCH YOU YOU FLOG.

Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Going back to the Nank deliberate OOB in the 1st quarter. I reckon thats the 1st time that has ever been paid when our defender is within 1m of the ball. Guess who paid it? Yep it was Ray "look at me" Chamberlain. Remind me again, why does he have a nickname?? We don't even really want to know the umps names, we aren't there to watch them, we are there to watch the football and they are their to ensure the football is played within the rules of the game. For the last time Ray - NO-ONE COMES TO WATCH YOU YOU FLOG.
Vlastuin was outside the boundary when he went to handpass to him. You could argue Nank was not to know that at the time as he was under pressure. Funnily enough I wasn't that shocked it was paid. But Vlas should have got the free before that.

We shouldn't know who the umpires are. They should wear masks.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
I'll never understand why they need to be mic'ed up.

Just umpire the game Ray. At one stage he encouraged Connor Nash for his effort. WTF?

If this clown is supposed to help the AFL out of the current umpiring/ fan disengagement crisis then they are stuffed. Game over

Reactions: 1 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I could find plenty more. Its frustrating.

Now that is a post with some depth that actually creates a meaningful discussion about umpiring.

I'm not with you on the Lynch one. With everything that has happened this season and the spotlight on it, how dumb is Lynch to yell out to the umpire and remonstrate with the decision? That's real individual over team, not focussing on what you control type behaviour.

The Baker one I don't really understand as I think it is stand rule related and I'm not across how that rule works exactly. I did notice though that someone who would have contemporary knowledge about that rule in Buckley knew immediately that Baker had done the wrong thing and agreed with the decision. He then bags the 50 length so he's not just cheerleading umpires. I'd back his knowledge of the rule over mine.

Looking forward to having a look at all the rest when I have time later.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Vlastuin was outside the boundary when he went to handpass to him. You could argue Nank was not to know that at the time as he was under pressure. Funnily enough I wasn't that shocked it was paid. But Vlas should have got the free before that.

We shouldn't know who the umpires are. They should wear masks.

He was outside the boundary but its no different to many others that are "fumbled" over the line, or are walked over the line etc.

It comes down to what we want the players to do, its philosophical. Do we want the player to step out of bounds himself, wait to be tackled over the line, or dispose of the ball the only possible way (which was the underground handball to Vlastuin) that may ensure the ball is kept in motion.

My biggest problem with this is, the only option that Nank could take to try and take a footballing option is then penalized for a shot on goal by the opposition.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'll never understand why they need to be mic'ed up.

Just umpire the game Ray. At one stage he encouraged Connor Nash for his effort. WTF?

If this clown is supposed to help the AFL out of the current umpiring/ fan disengagement crisis then they are stuffed. Game over

Heard him yell out, good kick one time. Umpire the game, don't cheerlead. Umpires for lower age groups do this (for obvious reasons), Ray has been in the AFL and umpiring men for a long time that he doesn't need to cheerlead players and shouldn't be doing it.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Flip over to the VFL. We’re getting absolutely smashed by them again.
You win a game on the scoreboard. Not the free kick tally.
The constant is 'sloppy' football by us where we give away frees. So many are avoidable.
Can't control the way the umps adjudicate re: frees for us.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
GWS just pinged a 50m because a Carlton player kept zigging and zagging to try and get his opponent to be near the Carlton player with the ball who was about to take his kick. It’s a ludicrous rule, the Carlton player kept running near his team mate who was about to kick to try and steal a 50m, eventually the GWS got to close to the Carlton player and it’s 50m. I thought if you were following your opponent (ESPECIALLY when he’s trying to drag you near his team mate) that it was ok otherwise what is he meant to do , just let his opponent run free? Absurd.

Reactions: 7 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You win a game on the scoreboard. Not the free kick tally.
The constant is 'sloppy' football by us where we give away frees. So many are avoidable.
Can't control the way the umps adjudicate re: frees for us.
Absolute rubbish. We got hammered today. There was a clear difference in interpretation.

What, do most teams we play against have one of their best games of the season when giving away frees do they ? Most of them give away x amount of frees normally and then give away x minus when they play us.

Or we just don’t know how to play for frees do we ? The latter being an indictment itself if that were the case.

Last edited:

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Charlie Curnow , politely, remonstrated with the umpire pulling his jumper (to indicate that’s what his opponent did to him). No 50m penalty, that rule was soooo May the 14th…..

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Charlie Curnow , politely, remonstrated with the umpire pulling his jumper (to indicate that’s what his opponent did to him). No 50m penalty, that rule was soooo May the 14th…..
I was about to mention the same thing. This is the type of inconsistency that should be reviewed by both the media and the umpires with a view to eliminating it.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Swans got away with a few last night as well, surprise surprise Buddy might've been involved in a couple.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Now that is a post with some depth that actually creates a meaningful discussion about umpiring.

I'm not with you on the Lynch one. With everything that has happened this season and the spotlight on it, how dumb is Lynch to yell out to the umpire and remonstrate with the decision? That's real individual over team, not focussing on what you control type behaviour.

The Baker one I don't really understand as I think it is stand rule related and I'm not across how that rule works exactly. I did notice though that someone who would have contemporary knowledge about that rule in Buckley knew immediately that Baker had done the wrong thing and agreed with the decision. He then bags the 50 length so he's not just cheerleading umpires. I'd back his knowledge of the rule over mine.

Looking forward to having a look at all the rest when I have time later.
Did he really remonstarte? He actually just tried to get his attention and point out he had been held by the arm. Watch the replay, there was no animosity or anger.

There was no "decision", does there have to be a decision to be dissent?

The protected area extends 5m behind the player that marks the ball and 10m out either side of him. In the replay Baker is clearly within that radius and as the nearest tiger was the one to go to the mark. Buckley was wrong.

I wish I could edit and cut and paste the videos of the incidents.

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Heard him yell out, good kick one time. Umpire the game, don't cheerlead. Umpires for lower age groups do this (for obvious reasons), Ray has been in the AFL and umpiring men for a long time that he doesn't need to cheerlead players and shouldn't be doing it.
Yeh, KB was always hot on this, umpires shouldn't be instructing players on what to do, just watch the game and make decisions based on the rules/interpretations. They should not be telling players to knock it out etc, that is up to the player. It's coaching in some ways and completely unnecessary.