Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
That was pretty bad. So bad that I had neutral friends message me about how bad they were.

Reactions: 2 users

tigre garçon

Yes, 2017, 2019 and 2020... were very good years!
Apr 22, 2004
The most poorly officiated game that I have seen this year... never mind the final free count of Essendon 25 to Richmond 20.
Purely and simply, there were howlers that went against us and our free kick numbers were bolstered by puzzling soft frees when the blatant ones were disregarded. Never mind the 50 metre penalties... dumbfounded!

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Just got home. Will watch the recording tomorrow but did the tv commentary team make much comment about the umpiring ?

I’m betting not.

Reactions: 1 users

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
Just got home. Will watch the recording tomorrow but did the tv commentary team make much comment about the umpiring ?

I’m betting not.
They must be instructed not to comment on the poor performance of the umpires.

Reactions: 3 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

I’m betting not.
Nope. Darcy just continued to provide how much of a complete *smile* he is. Bucks was critical on Fox.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The free against Soldo in the last quarter on the northern wing was just outrageous.

You could name so many more as well.

I think the inconsistency was best shown in the last though. Perfect spoil by Grimes inside our forward 50 and he would have run on and had a shot at goal, but paid for chopping of the arms. Straight down the other end, Soldo is taking the mark, Francis comes across with a chop through his arms, no free kick paid. The difference in the time between the 2 cannot have been more than 30-45 seconds.

Add to that, the dangerous tackles, the "illegal shepherd" on the line. I reckon the last one I saw of that was also paid against Richmond.
Or how about Dusty tackles inside 50 (top of the square), essendon drops the ball, no free paid. Dusty wins ball and snaps and then we all lose about 2 minutes of our lives when they try to figure out if it was touched. If they just paid the free then we could have all got on with our lives.
Or the free Bryan got in front of goal, when literally every player looked at the ump as not one player knew what the free was paid for.
Shai had a 50 paid against him, despite not having the ball in his hands. It was on the ground and he just didn't pick it up and give it back (he doesn't have to). Pretty sure the last time that was paid a 50 in the AFL was against Balta in Round 1.

So many more bad decisions. That was a 10 goal win, made only a 32 point win due to umpiring. They must have had a bet with a Richmond win 1-39.

• Angry
Reactions: 8 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You could name so many more as well.

I think the inconsistency was best shown in the last though. Perfect spoil by Grimes inside our forward 50 and he would have run on and had a shot at goal, but paid for chopping of the arms. Straight down the other end, Soldo is taking the mark, Francis comes across with a chop through his arms, no free kick paid. The difference in the time between the 2 cannot have been more than 30-45 seconds.

Add to that, the dangerous tackles, the "illegal shepherd" on the line. I reckon the last one I saw of that was also paid against Richmond.
Or how about Dusty tackles inside 50 (top of the square), essendon drops the ball, no free paid. Dusty wins ball and snaps and then we all lose about 2 minutes of our lives when they try to figure out if it was touched. If they just paid the free then we could have all got on with our lives.
Or the free Bryan got in front of goal, when literally every player looked at the ump as not one player knew what the free was paid for.
Shai had a 50 paid against him, despite not having the ball in his hands. It was on the ground and he just didn't pick it up and give it back (he doesn't have to). Pretty sure the last time that was paid a 50 in the AFL was against Balta in Round 1.

So many more bad decisions. That was a 10 goal win, made only a 32 point win due to umpiring. They must have had a bet with a Richmond win 1-39.
It’s hard to know where to start.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
I’m a fairly neutral bloke when it comes to umpires, but that was the most baffling performance I’ve ever witnessed…. It’s one of the few times I declared they are cheating and wholeheartedly believed it. When I’m at the game with my avid 9 year old watcher of the game and he’s constantly questioning why frees were and weren’t paid… the league is in genuine trouble.

Reactions: 5 users

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
That first 50 against bolton for what ? Not picking up the ball ??
Anyone who thinks this *smile* is good for footy is a brainless *smile* splatt who knows sweet fa about footy ....no wonder bo one wants to be an ump

No left foot

Tiger Rookie
Aug 30, 2020
I have never been this pi**ed off with a 5+ goal win......ever. Trying to calm down by watching ice fishing in Alaska. Looks cold.

• Haha

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Worst example of umpiring I’ve seen this year
Umps we’re totally biased towards the Bummers looking for any opportunity to keep them in the game
No one has any idea what the rules are anymore Gill the Dill, Scott & Hocking have destroyed our once great game

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
That first 50 against bolton for what ? Not picking up the ball ??
Anyone who thinks this *smile* is good for footy is a brainless *smile* splatt who knows sweet fa about footy ....no wonder bo one wants to be an ump

Thats exactly what it was for, and as he wasn't holding the ball at the time, he didn't need to pick it up and give it back. The umpire was wrong no doubt about it.

Reactions: 6 users

5SKULL5

What stands in the way, becomes the way!
Dec 20, 2004
Melbourne
I realize Richmond's style over the last several years does not endear them to the umpires. Hence why we are always at the wrong end of the Free kick counts. Also why they brought in the MOST anti-football rule of all time (standing the mark). But that was the worst umpiring I've seen in over 50 years of attending footy.
The game is a chook raffle right now.