Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Rimmer

Tiger Cub
Sep 10, 2014
As Dimma said we play it hard. Giving away the most free kicks and having the most clangers for the last 5 years hasn't done us much harm. One prize per season and we have taken 3 of 5 and have them all uncomfortable going into the finals 2022.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I guess technically when the tackler lands they push into the opponents back, but agree the umps need to do better at working out who and what caused the fall, or the rules need to be clearer.

I think the rule is clear and tackling someone from behind is not a push.

The problem is a change in the way the rule has been adjudicated over the years, never used to see this back years ago.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Watched an interesting doco on NBA ref Tim Donaghy who was found guilty of his part in a gambling rort of the results of NBA games. What was interesting was that Donaghy would predict winners of certain games to his mob mate who would then pay Donaghy $2000 per correct prediction. Donaghy made his predictions based on information gleaned from other refs eg ref Smith has previously had a run in with Coach Jones and was going to be harsh in his refereeing Coach Jones team (therefor Donaghy predicted Coach Jones opponents would win). Donaghy also claimed the NBA wanted the play offs to go to game 7 so when Philly was 3-0 up he predicted their opponent would win game 4. He had a 70-80% accuracy rate. He also claimed the NBA didn’t want the big stars fouled and sitting in the bench because no one came to the game to see Jordan sitting in the bench.

Reactions: 1 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Watched an interesting doco on NBA ref Tim Donaghy who was found guilty of his part in a gambling rort of the results of NBA games. What was interesting was that Donaghy would predict winners of certain games to his mob mate who would then pay Donaghy $2000 per correct prediction. Donaghy made his predictions based on information gleaned from other refs eg ref Smith has previously had a run in with Coach Jones and was going to be harsh in his refereeing Coach Jones team (therefor Donaghy predicted Coach Jones opponents would win). Donaghy also claimed the NBA wanted the play offs to go to game 7 so when Philly was 3-0 up he predicted their opponent would win game 4. He had a 70-80% accuracy rate. He also claimed the NBA didn’t want the big stars fouled and sitting in the bench because no one came to the game to see Jordan sitting in the bench.
Any chance you could post a link, please?

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

I honestly believe umpiring corruption is the most common sense explanation for what I see happen on a regular basis in the AFL.

I'm not saying that out of bias against the umpires or because I'm a person prone to conspiracy theories. Quite the opposite. I just think corruption is the most logical conclusion to the extreme statistically nonsensical outcomes I've seen over a long period of time.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I honestly believe umpiring corruption is the most common sense explanation for what I see happen on a regular basis in the AFL.

I'm not saying that out of bias against the umpires or because I'm a person prone to conspiracy theories. Quite the opposite. I just think corruption is the most logical conclusion to the extreme statistically nonsensical outcomes I've seen over a long period of time.
Every other aspect of the AFL appears corrupt so it's only logical that the umpiring is too.

Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
9 to 4 at quater time.
2 goals from free Brisbane.
1 missed opportunity for a shot at goal richmond. Tackle on Andrews.
The only way we lose is 25 to 10 free count. The odds are good for bris

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I am so *smile* sick of getting butt *smile* by the umps. Last time we were here against Brisbane it was the greatest reaming of all time. This is exactly the same

Reactions: 3 users

Brian H

Tiger Cub
Jul 26, 2013
How can the umpires have such differences in holding the ball between the team teams - unless it's deliberate

Reactions: 5 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
16 to seven at half time.
2 50s for another 2 goals for brisbland.
Hope the umps start paying early holding and disent against Bris Vegas.
Oh and a free in the forward line for a tiger tackle. I dare them.
Seriously *smile* up again tonight.

• Angry
Reactions: 4 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
19 to 13.
Didnt feel like it.
3 to 6.
I call *smile*.
How many goals from free kicks to the bears?
At least 4.