Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
Clause 18.5.2
(f) excepting where the player is wearing the combination of colours of yellow and black

There is that. Compare with the one paid late against Lynch last year v Cats when Riewoldt marked at point blank range late, that essentially cost us the game...

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Last minute, nank send a ball in, weitering devotes himself to sheparding lynch from the contest,

Easy carlton mark.

Commentator says 'lynch held out of it brilliantly by weitering'

Not even big richo could argue weitering was doing anything other than blocking Tom.

What is the actual rule on blocking in a marking contest?

This is the rule for marking contests.

1679058939181.png

Also prohibited contact.

1679058982938.png

Weitering could (and should) have been pinned for either of these. Top of the square, 6 points down with a minute and a half left and people say that umpires don't influence games!!

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The trend of players dropping the ball (or the ball coming loose in the tackle) and the tackler getting pinged for holding the man has to be addressed. The tackler can't instantly stop his tackle.

Reactions: 10 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The only good thing about being old is having grown up watching these lunatics.
Laugh every single time I see their faces.
And I still call my brothers porcupine and lame brain because of them.
The slapping was funny to see and hear.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
In the 2 games since ours, it’s amazing how many times a player can take a reasonable amount of time to kick, yet our guys get called to play on in half the time.

It’s also amazing how guys moving off their mark by the slightest margin get called to play on, but they’re “strangely” late in making the same call when our guys are on the mark eg the absurd deviation that McKay made on Balta and how he’d almost run past him before the cheating umpire finally called play on and Balta could move off his mark.

Reactions: 10 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
This is the rule for marking contests.

View attachment 18441

Also prohibited contact.

View attachment 18442

Weitering could (and should) have been pinned for either of these. Top of the square, 6 points down with a minute and a half left and people say that umpires don't influence games!!
Where’s TBR to refute this? Maybe a little busy with his CEO job considering the seasons started and all that…

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just watching the replay....I still can't work out what this free in the 3rd quarter to Saad was for when he dropped the ball ???

1679112499555.png

• Angry

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
A Pies relo was with me Thursday night at the game, as I was with him at their game last night.
He was going off his nut about the free's in our game, reckons we got screwed far worse than even their game last night and I just shrugged my shoulders as an "I'm used to it kinda way" :cautious:

But from watching the pre-season and Round 1, should we start wearing the Yellow & Black guernseys? :unsure:

I don't think the umps see the holding on the black jumpers particularly for Lynch and Jack.

I dont' know how many games we wore the yellow jumpers, I'd like to find out the free kick counts for the ones we did wear them in though

But I do know the 2017 GF we won the free kick count 24-19, a smashing free kick result for us!!

1679115003177.png

Reactions: 1 user

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Stand rule introduced in 2021 season, huge change to the way the game was played but zero tolerance shown from the very first game.

666 introduced for the 2019 season, teams still getting a warning when they offend.

• Angry

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Thought the umps might have improved, low base of course, and gone from woeful to just poor. But it was a flash in the pan. Usual disclaimer that I blame AFL management of the rules and umpiring, and not the umps themselves.

all over the shop

• Haha

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Just watching the replay....I still can't work out what this free in the 3rd quarter to Saad was for when he dropped the ball ???

View attachment 18450

I went nuts at that. They scored from that free kick as well.

Saad picked the ball up, thats when Graham started the tackle, Saad drops it, Graham is stick tackling at this stage (isn't that HTB?), and the ump pays it against him for holding the man!!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I went nuts at that. They scored from that free kick as well.

Saad picked the ball up, thats when Graham started the tackle, Saad drops it, Graham is stick tackling at this stage (isn't that HTB?), and the ump pays it against him for holding the man!!
WTF are these flogs thinking?