Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I went nuts at that. They scored from that free kick as well.

Saad picked the ball up, thats when Graham started the tackle, Saad drops it, Graham is stick tackling at this stage (isn't that HTB?), and the ump pays it against him for holding the man!!
It happens all the time. I’m continually yelling at the tv ‘but he dropped the ball!’

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Just watching the replay....I still can't work out what this free in the 3rd quarter to Saad was for when he dropped the ball ???

View attachment 18450
Held the tackle way to long after the ball had spilled free. Ignore the fact that the first free kick for dropping the ball was obviously missed as umpires are allowed to make mistakes. Maggot got the second call right.

Just standing in for TBR by the way, I'm pretty sure he's off on a holiday at the moment.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Held the tackle way to long after the ball had spilled free. Ignore the fact that the first free kick for dropping the ball was obviously missed as umpires are allowed to make mistakes. Maggot got the second call right.

Just standing in for TBR by the way, I'm pretty sure he's off on a holiday at the moment.
Way too long? Not even 2 seconds in a 180deg turn from what I saw. The flog was standing and watching in super slow mode.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Yep I think TBR's playing nude golf in Adelayde on his way across to the Nullabor :oops:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I think you're allowed to drop the ball if you haven't had prior. If so, Saad'a free kick may be defendable.

I see the dropping trend as players taking advantage of a loophole that goes against the spirit of the rule.

If a player has time to decide if they'll drop the ball, doesn't this inherently mean they've had a prior opportunity to take action?

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I think you're allowed to drop the ball if you haven't had prior. If so, Saad'a free kick may be defendable.

I see the dropping trend as players taking advantage of a loophole that goes against the spirit of the rule.

If a player has time to decide if they'll drop the ball, doesn't this inherently mean they've had a prior opportunity to take action?
I would have thought you would have to dispose of the ball legally at all times. Dropping the ball, like throwing the ball is not legal. If the ball gets knocked out and you haven't had prior, then play on. Get tackled with prior opp and the ball gets knocked out, holding the ball.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

No, that is not correct, the relevant rule reads:

18.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal
Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity, a field
Umpire shall award a Free Kick if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of the football
when Legally Tackled.
For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose of the
football when:
(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;
(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the Player’s possession.

If no prior, the player must attempt to dispose of the ball correctly (the difference here is that with no prior opportunity the player is excused for not disposing correctly as long as they attempt to do so). Dropping the ball is not an attempt at correct disposal, it is execution of incorrect disposal.

The silly thing is that if you drop the ball and throw your foot at it that is generally an attempt at correct disposal.

The even sillier thing is that players drop the ball without swinging a leg at it or anything else and get away with it.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania

If no prior, the player must attempt to dispose of the ball correctly (the difference here is that with no prior opportunity the player is excused for not disposing correctly as long as they attempt to do so). Dropping the ball is not an attempt at correct disposal, it is execution of incorrect disposal.

The silly thing is that if you drop the ball and throw your foot at it that is generally an attempt at correct disposal.

The even sillier thing is that players drop the ball without swinging a leg at it or anything else and get away with it.

DS

I am glad you tried to explain that rule - it is written in some semi legal gobbledygook so that no one really knows what is being instructed - so you can basically interpret it as you want.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach

DS
Ah but the rules aren’t for the players David. Deliberate grey areas and double speak so the buffoons with the whistles can make their own interpretations.
So even when they’re wrong, they’re right. Regardless of what everyone who knows the game can see for themselves
afl is corruption personified, the umpires don’t care about fairness or being correct. Manipulation at its finest. Like the use of the ARC,it’s on a whim.

Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
They could add 'no prior' to the holding the man rule.

Sometimes, tacklers have no prior opportunity to let go of an otherwise legal tackle.

A legal tackle should never instantly become illegal as a consequence of that legal tackle.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
watched the replay, this is so true, so obvious. Fair dinkum, its dumb umpiring. 1 the frees are barely there, if at all, 2. haveing staging form supposedly, allegedly, logically, means the umps are likely to not pay them to players with form.

How hard can it be? What do they do during the week? They obviously aren't watching tapes and thinking about how to do things better.
Folding Cerra. It was right there. I'm slipping.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Carlton kicked 8 goals.
Every time we looked like tearing the game wide open, the umpire would pluck a free kick to Carlton.
The stand out free kick of the night is the 3rd qtr.
We have just kicked 3 in a row.
Carlton *smile* it up on the wing/half forward. A Carlton player drops the ball in the tackle, umpire calls play on, Cerra gets caught in the next passage of play, only to release the ball. Then the dumb *smile* blows HOLDING THE MAN.
from the result Carlton kick a goal. Still in the game.
The worse one was Nakas get held directly in front of the umpires 30 out. And the umpire swallows the whistle.
It was typical Richmond umpiring.
Then the next night, tottaly different story, the Collingwood supporters would call on a free kick and the turds would oblige. Out of all the teams in the comp them and Brisbane and Melbourne have a extra player on the ground. No wonder McCrae looks so good with such a average team.
That's the reason Scott hates playing at the G, the old Codgers aren't loud enough

• Sad

YeOldeTiger

Tiger Rookie
May 25, 2020
Far Side of the Moon

Isn't dropping the ball when you're being tackled incorrect disposal ?

Edit. Already answered cheers.

• Love

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Players can't point to the scoreboard replay otherwise it's dissent. As precious as you get.

I'm OK with it. It is dissent by definition, and it always looks ridiculous. Do they think the ump will change their mind?

I'm a big critic of umpiring, but there are things I wish they would be more consistently hard on, and they would disappear overnight. Throws, if it looks like a throw, pay a throw. I do not give a stuff if the commentators or supporters whinge because he might have got a slightly brushed a finger across the ball. Ump should not be thinking hmmm, looked like a throw, but maybe that might have kind-of been almost a handball. If it looks like a throw, just pay a throw.

Late hits or grabs, player not involved in marking contest arriving late and making contact that in any way impedes play. Just pay a 50, consistently, and it disappears in a fortnight, game flows, rules are applied, everybody wins. It might look a bit tiggy touchwood at times, I don't care, not involved in contest, you cannot in any way shape or form impede player. Thats the rule, and thats how it should be in accordance with the principles of the game. ATM they randomly pay 1 in 10 that should be paid. Just pay it. What is so hard?

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Ump should not be thinking hmmm, looked like a throw, but maybe that might have kind-of been almost a handball. If it looks like a throw, just pay a throw.
That is the mistake right there. A wrong call shouldn't be accepted every time an umpire makes a mistake. With all the training they go through, they should develop enough skill to have clear vision when calling a free. Other sports have umpire/ref calls reviewed, but we don't, and I suppose we can't otherwise our game will become Americanised.

As for my post on that dissent rubbish, a player is just asking a question, not 'abusing' an umpire. It's a childish, ridiculous rule which further distances the respect between players and umps.