Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Without prior it is almost impossible to get a holding the ball (as it should be) unless the tackled player just gives up or throws the ball out with one hand. I reckon the holding the ball rule would sit better with most people if they considered prior opportunity in those terms.

In round 1 carlton seemed to have a strategy in defense to basically grab the ball and run into the tackler, absorb the tackle and not really make any effort at all to realistically get it out. This let them neutralise some dangerous situations back to a ball up. I thought it was smart but also had the mankad feel about it to me. So would you interpret these as holding the ball if the way I described it is correct?

On the other hand we have a couple of players (Bolton, Martin) that almost always try to take the tackler on as they get tackled by trying to shrug the tackle / duck under it / fend off etc. Again they often haven't had prior but they do try to make the play. I've just accepted that that's the rule as doing this seems to consume your prior so it's HTB and when it comes off it usually results in good things for us.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
In round 1 carlton seemed to have a strategy in defense to basically grab the ball and run into the tackler, absorb the tackle and not really make any effort at all to realistically get it out. This let them neutralise some dangerous situations back to a ball up. I thought it was smart but also had the mankad feel about it to me. So would you interpret these as holding the ball if the way I described it is correct?

On the other hand we have a couple of players (Bolton, Martin) that almost always try to take the tackler on as they get tackled by trying to shrug the tackle / duck under it / fend off etc. Again they often haven't had prior but they do try to make the play. I've just accepted that that's the rule as doing this seems to consume your prior so it's HTB and when it comes off it usually results in good things for us.

Very hard to say without seeing them, but I think teams who know the rules in those instances can get a big advantage. Players who know the rules and consider where they stand in terms of prior tend to do well with free kicks. One thing I think we are poor at for example, is letting the ball die when we are tackled without prior. We will often try and keep it alive and get pinged for releasing with one arm pinned when we could have just reset for a ball up.

No doubt it's a game style thing, we want the ball free and want to avoid stoppage (before this year especially) but definitely part of the free kick count tapestry.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think we've been -6 in the first 2 games and the umps haven't been too bad but this week will be next level as we take on the Pies AND the umps. -10 is my best guess.

Jetboy

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2010
Melbourne.....sometimes Broome
I think we've been -6 in the first 2 games and the umps haven't been too bad but this week will be next level as we take on the Pies AND the umps. -10 is my best guess.
Last week, the Pies were up 34 to 15 with free kicks....that’s +19

If that , along with the usual anti Tiger agenda, is anything to go by, expect -20 at least

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I've run a lot of theories around this over the years and never quite nailed it, mainly because I think there's a lot of factors at play.

There's definitely some game style factors, but when you really drill into ours our differential is often only because of a handful of players.

Nankervis is unquestionably elite at free kicks against. He goes at -.8 on career free kick differential. That doesn't sound like much but it's huge. Buddy Franklin who I believe is the all time leader in frees against goes at -.6. Tom Lynch is -.1 Dustin Martin -.5.

-.8 is the highest negative differential over a reasonable length careerI have ever seen and the second highest is -.7. The owner of that? M. Pickett.
And so we pretty much win the negative free kick differential premiership every year while Colonwood win the positive differential every year.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
The funny thing about the scum is that they are so kissed on the *smile* by the umps yet as soon as they pay a free against them their ferals are up in arms.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Every oppo supporter seems to think we’re the umpires favourites. They usually go quiet when the free kick differential and how long it’s been going on is pointed out to them.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Every oppo supporter seems to think we’re the umpires favourites. They usually go quiet when the free kick differential and how long it’s been going on is pointed out to them.
Hilariously stupid morons. I also laugh at how their cocky grows everytime their team improves. Wasn't too long ago I read Scumwood fans on BF wishing they were like us, and now their heads are bigger than the Earth.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I’ve had “conversations” with supporters of other clubs who insist Richmond is the AFL’s pet.
When challenged they say we get a good run with the umpires so as you say I then roll out the stats.
I reckon 50% of the time it comes back to Cotchin not being suspended for his clash with Shiel and Lynch for his “thuggery” in 2020.
You just have to laugh in the end.

Reactions: 3 users

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Does anyone know when we last won the free kick count by 10 or more? Wish L2R2R was still around :(

I can't recall the last time.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I'm encouraging everyone to stand and applaud as the umpires enter the arena tonight.

Hopefully the starting point to the AFL giving them a long overdue song to be played as they burst through their banner next week.

• Haha

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I'm encouraging everyone to stand and applaud as the umpires enter the arena tonight.

Hopefully the starting point to the AFL giving them a long overdue song to be played as they burst through their banner next week.
There is no boo to vomit icon.

• Wow

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

Something like the Angles Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again sounds like an appropriate song for the umps…Sure to get crowd participation.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne

Does yelling out “you blind dirty filthy cheating maggots” count as applause?

Asking for a friend :)

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users