Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
Its hard to complain about a positive free kick count (apparently the differential doesnt matter anyway) but the push in the back by collingwood forwards was ignored numerous times, i only remember one push being paid against Nank. The other one that irked was grimes diving on the ball but being held in a choker hold, its ok to pay for the dive but surely the tackle needs to be legaal too?

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Its hard to complain about a positive free kick count (apparently the differential doesnt matter anyway) but the push in the back by collingwood forwards was ignored numerous times, i only remember one push being paid against Nank. The other one that irked was grimes diving on the ball but being held in a choker hold, its ok to pay for the dive but surely the tackle needs to be legaal too?

Push in the back is ignored all the time, it is a blight on the game but the approved interpretation of Thou Shalt Not Push an Opponent in the Back seems to be to completely ignore 90% of pushes in the back.

Ridiculous. If pushing in the back is now allowed, be honest and change the rules.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Well, I was wrong! We won the free kick count 27-20 and 4 in our F50. 9103F135-A79E-42F2-8702-02E60092848B.jpeg

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Push in the back is ignored all the time, it is a blight on the game but the approved interpretation of Thou Shalt Not Push an Opponent in the Back seems to be to completely ignore 90% of pushes in the back.

Ridiculous. If pushing in the back is now allowed, be honest and change the rules.

DS
I still don’t get why they changed it back to interpreting a forceful push. Everyone was used to no hands and using the bumper to protect space. Black and white, easy for umps to adjudicate. Horrible decision I’ll blame SHocking regardless if it was his.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
I've run a lot of theories around this over the years and never quite nailed it, mainly because I think there's a lot of factors at play.

There's definitely some game style factors, but when you really drill into ours our differential is often only because of a handful of players.

Nankervis is unquestionably elite at free kicks against. He goes at -.8 on career free kick differential. That doesn't sound like much but it's huge. Buddy Franklin who I believe is the all time leader in frees against goes at -.6. Tom Lynch is -.1 Dustin Martin -.5.

-.8 is the highest negative differential over a reasonable length careerI have ever seen and the second highest is -.7. The owner of that? M. Pickett.
Don Scott!! Don Scott!! Don Scott!! :eyes

No one gave away or had a worse +/- for frees than he did man. He cleaned up heaps of categories. Most Frees Against For Career, Highest Average Frees Against Per Game, 236 of his 298 games he gave away 3 or more frees for the game, that's 80% of his games played, Consecutive Matches With 3 Frees Against he holds that record as well. He went 24 games once conceding 3 or more frees, the second most was 6 games less at 18 games. And he also has the 5th highest run with 15, the 13th highest run with 13 and the 20th with 12 games he conceded 3 or more frees a game :LOL:

Buddy might be the current day prophet but he'd need to play another 342 games to get to Scotty's 1,303 (Buddy on 657), taking Buddy to 51-52 years old :LOL:

Don Scott is at -1.37 a game free kick differential a game, Alan Martello at 1.04 and our very own General Lee at 0.98 :))
Common denominator is they all played in premierships.

In fact, the team with the highest free kick differential percentage wise from 1965-2023 is Fitzroy, they received 108 frees for to 100 frees against they're no longer in the league and didn't win a flag from 1965. Western Bulldogs have the second best differential 107 frees for to 100 against, won just the one flag. Collingwood at 4th best won just the two flags, Saints at 4th best won just the one flag.

The team with the worst free kick differential Hawthorn receive 92 frees for to 100 against and they've won the most flags since 1965 with 12 flags. Richmond sit fourth worst with 97 frees received to 100 frees against and we've won 8 flags since 1965.

20 flags to teams who have received more frees than against since 1965 and 38 flags to teams who give away more frees than they get. If you want to win flags, go extra hard at the man and the ball and maybe hold up the other teams run by giving a few frees away, might help aye :))

Frees against average per game
1680339231833.png

Most frees against career
1680339188752.png

The handbag whack grandma style over the head probably helped him :bash
1680339123089.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The demise of the bounce is damning on umpires. Bloody hopeless. It’s like hey don’t even try to get it right now.
They've been wanting it out of the game for years, it's to hard to get right, it gives them a back attack, to much arse waggling required to get set, etc etc. Bounce it crooked n recall often enough n Gilligan's mob will surrender eventually. Just chuck the bloody thing up n stop all the pissin around.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
4 umpires my ass.
They pick and choose what the see.
Howlers always find someone in the media justifying them.
The Essendon player gets tackled trying to break through the pack, Hine .. he misses the ball with his foot. No call.
The holding the ball free kick in 2023, it just depends what club you play for. If your Richmond anything longer then .003 seconds with the ball is sufficient time to release the ball. But Collingwood can hold it, smile and just hold the ball till the umpire grabs it off them.
It's true Collingwood supporters are louder, anything they see they scream and they yell, the umpires shiit themselves and blow the whistle. You could hear it on the TV on Friday night, any thing for Collingwood was at 300 decibels compared to us it was very subdued..
By the way the umpires didn't influence the result on Friday the 6 blokes that choose that team the night before did.
I feel Hardwick has fallen back into 2013-2014 mode.
The Steve Morris types instead of kids, the Ricky Pettard types,

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Funny how press r going crazy over controversial free kicks in both Carlton and Port games. I look at both the ones being mentioned and think - Pretty standard if you r a Tiger supporter......

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
4 Umpires

'Dissent' is high on the list of being naughty... as is moving when 'STAND' has been announced...

they're like school teachers, and that i find quite worrisome .. for the game ..

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The demise of the bounce is damning on umpires. Bloody hopeless. It’s like hey don’t even try to get it right now.
I thought for a second you were talking about the demise of having to bounce the ball every 15 metres, which has seemingly expanded to 25m.

I'm at the point now with deliberate out of bounds that I'd rather them just make it last disposal out of bounds (kick or handball not touched) is a free. At least that takes the bias/inconsistency out of it. I'd make it an indirect free kick, i.e. you can't score from it. Ditto with deliberate rushed behinds.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I thought for a second you were talking about the demise of having to bounce the ball every 15 metres, which has seemingly expanded to 25m.

I'm at the point now with deliberate out of bounds that I'd rather them just make it last disposal out of bounds (kick or handball not touched) is a free. At least that takes the bias/inconsistency out of it. I'd make it an indirect free kick, i.e. you can't score from it. Ditto with deliberate rushed behinds.
Richo said it was heading that way on Friday night.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014

I agree spook.

Just make it last touched.

Then at least there would be ONE rule that wasn't subject to interpretation, or bias.

Insane to have a sport where rules can vary so wildly from team to team and umpire to umpire.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I agree spook.

Then at least there would be ONE rule that wasn't subject to interpretation, or bias.

Insane to have a sport where rules can vary so wildly from team to team and umpire to umpire.
Occassion to occasion...

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
I agree spook.

Insane to have a sport where rules can vary so wildly from team to team and umpire to umpire

The AFL would just *smile* that one up as well.