Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Is Dan Richardson still the umpires boss??
He left us not on good terms when he went to Essendon.
Someone is still telling them to bend us over.
Against stkilda the last qtr was exactly like tonight's efforts.
I counted 3 50's to us they paid none but we cop 1 for breathing.
The countless times Melbourne players held us and no call but we copped 2 holding frees in the 1st 10 minutes.
It's happening every week. It's a fken joke

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Umpire trouble had sighting it? Does BT even go to the ground anymore? That one the umpire was side on to it, no more than 15m away from play. There is no way to explain why it wasn't paid. The most blatant free and just ignored. Not to mention the blatant HTB's that aren't paid, the fact Baker doesnt have a head and then May gets a head high free when he was hit on the upper chest and threw his head back. There was a free that was there to Melbourne (and paid) but was paid by the umpire in the centre of the field, the free was for a hold and the player was facing the members stand, there was no way in hell that umpire could see the hold. I'm certain they pay or don't pay frees based on guesses of whats actually happened, knowing full well that the opaqueness of the rules will ensure that they were right even when they were wrong.

• Angry

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I thought we had to put up with 4 of them so there could be one deep who would be side on to this. Wtf are they all

The thing is, he was in perfect position. Side on, 15m away, no players obstructing his view and still didn't pay it. There is only 1 justification for that, and its cheating. There can't be any other reason.

• Angry
Reactions: 5 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Minus 12 tonight.

Minus 40 for the Year.
We basically start every game 6 Goals down.

Just blatant bias.

Reactions: 7 users

Larrikin

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2003
Every week it's the same. Richmond gets crucified with the free kicks and have done so for now the 8th year straight! When was the last time Richmond won the free kick count by 10? Every team gets the rub of the green every now and then except Richmond.

Every game is the same. Up until half time the free kicks (although not being great) are reasonable. Take this game. At half time the free kicks were Melbourne 7 and Richmond 6. Mind you I was annoyed at the 6th Free kick Richmond got as it was a mark that the umpire called a push despite the push happening after the mark was taken. So this was just a free kick to pad the stats.

When half time hits in every game, Richmond get absolutely crucified, and even more crucified in the last quarter of matches. So this means after half time the frees were Richmond 6, Melbourne 17! This doesn't count the 50m penalties.

The game against Melbourne last year was the same. In some absolute fluke of events, Richmond were slightly ahead of the frees against them last year at half time. After that, Richmond couldn't buy a free kick and Melbourne got every single one. I can remember that muppet Viney last year lying on the ground not moving for a minute or two. Everyone stops. Finally when the trainer got to him to try and get him off the the ground, he pushes the trainer away and jumps off the ground like a WWE wrestler and in the very next piece of play just lifts the Richmond player off the ground who didn't even have the ball. He was acting like a "tough man" and they didn't even award a free kick to Richmond for that garbage. Since when are you allowed to just lift a player off the ground even if they have the ball let alone when they don't?

I am truly sick of the way Richmond get umpired. If we lose on our merrits then fair enough, but this has really become beyond a joke. I wish there was a way to get the message across and be heard somewhere because it has really ruined AFL for me.

• Angry
Reactions: 15 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Every week it's the same. Richmond gets crucified with the free kicks and have done so for now the 8th year straight! When was the last time Richmond won the free kick count by 10? Every team gets the rub of the green every now and then except Richmond.

Every game is the same. Up until half time the free kicks (although not being great) are reasonable. Take this game. At half time the free kicks were Melbourne 7 and Richmond 6. Mind you I was annoyed at the 6th Free kick Richmond got as it was a mark that the umpire called a push despite the push happening after the mark was taken. So this was just a free kick to pad the stats.

When half time hits in every game, Richmond get absolutely crucified, and even more crucified in the last quarter of matches. So this means after half time the frees were Richmond 6, Melbourne 17! This doesn't count the 50m penalties.

The game against Melbourne last year was the same. In some absolute fluke of events, Richmond were slightly ahead of the frees against them last year at half time. After that, Richmond couldn't buy a free kick and Melbourne got every single one. I can remember that muppet Viney last year lying on the ground not moving for a minute or two. Everyone stops. Finally when the trainer got to him to try and get him off the the ground, he pushes the trainer away and jumps off the ground like a WWE wrestler and in the very next piece of play just lifts the Richmond player off the ground who didn't even have the ball. He was acting like a "tough man" and they didn't even award a free kick to Richmond for that garbage. Since when are you allowed to just lift a player off the ground even if they have the ball let alone when they don't?

I am truly sick of the way Richmond get umpired. If we lose on our merrits then fair enough, but this has really become beyond a joke. I wish there was a way to get the message across and be heard somewhere because it has really ruined AFL for me.
Screenshot_20240425_010306_AFL.jpgScreenshot_20240425_010306_AFL.jpgScreenshot_20240425_010355_AFL.jpg

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
The umpires are either the worst in AFL history or they are down right cheats. Considering they train at Ikon park I'm guessing the latter.

Reactions: 2 users

Brian H

Tiger Cub
Jul 26, 2013
Honestly what can we do about the AFL and their obviously targeted umpiring against us. I know we have won our premierships and they want us to disappear for the next 15 years but what they are doing is match fixing and corrupt. I have emailed the AFL and RFC countless times and obviously get crickets. There must be something us members can do as a collective. I travel 3 hours 1 way every home game to watch the constant cheating and just can't stomach it any more. Can some smart person on PRE start a petition or something so we can at least publicly demonstrate against the AFL corruption - our footy club refuses too

Reactions: 5 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
No doubt Melbourne lifted in the third, but the umpires played a major role in swinging the momentum of the game. We had two opponents.

• Angry

JAKLAUGHING

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2019
Yeah, I laugh when I hear one of these *smile* wits say “good luck, have a good call” to another of their backslapper commentators.

Just call the game, instead of trying to be a celebrity. Bloody goldfish brain pud pullers.
HAHAaaaa my reply to that nonsense would be...if your handing them out, I'll have half a dozen thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

JAKLAUGHING

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2019
Outrageous blatant cheating tonight; no other way to describe it.

The clear push in the back that was not paid. Baker gets his head ripped off southern wing; play on! Baker gets held without the ball Punt Road End southern stand; play on!

Melbourne got everything we got nothing. The club needs to take a stand and call out this outrageous anti-Richmond umpiring bias that goes on every game. Do it in public. They are already *smile* us without lube; can't get any worse.
Threaten to commence legal action for unsafe/dangerous work conditions with OH+S...

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
In terms of just inept umpiring there was an incident in the 1st quarter where Gawn had a mark 60-70 from goal on the southern side. The player on the mark was leaning sideways looking at the umpire because Gawn was easily 5 metres off his line.

This made no difference to the result at all but if a player is 5 metres off the line it is play on. He never went back behind his mark.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Mind you I was annoyed at the 6th Free kick Richmond got as it was a mark that the umpire called a push despite the push happening after the mark was taken. So this was just a free kick to pad the stats
I also noticed that several of our frees were given when we already had ‘advantage’ and play continued as if we didn’t get a free kick anyway.

So if you take these off the total, how many frees did we get where play stopped and the Richmond player went back over the mark?

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
The 50 metre penalties, they might have been there, but if they were, then there were a few we should have got. why? Because Richmond don't get 50m penalties.

The one where Fritch came back over the mark from well behind Vlastuin late in the 2nd was a classic example. Would definitely have been paid against us.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
We have to create a mole to become an umpire and see what's actually happening in there.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Three goals from umps boo boo's. Baker head tap not played , Lever throw & ball hitting ump on the full. You would think Dillon /Kane would make a statement but quiet as door mouses

Reactions: 1 user