Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
What about gawn getting the ball on the bounce and doing a draper...got all the media this week. Umps could make a statement...nah
No free, ball up.
FMD

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Was at the game. A *smile* dees supporter behind us was really giving me the *smile*. Every tackle on their players should have been a free kick to them, every tackle by their players should have been a free kick to them, every free kick to them should have also been a 50.
Out of curiosity I checked the free kick stats when we were a point in front and surprise surprise, it was 7 all. We all saw what happened after that when Melbourne’s reserves team got into action.
The only game we won this year is coincidentally the only game we won the free kick count. A couple of our close losses this year we have only narrowly lost the free kick count.
If the maggots do their job properly and be fair, we are competitive

Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We’ve got a new recruit to the anti Richmond umpiring team: Andrew Adair. Number 36 last night.

The blatant cheating and bs he dispensed last night was outrageous. He was the one involved in most contentious frees paid to Melbourne and turning a complete blind eye to ones we 100% should have received.

Driving in the car this morning, radio on, lot of callers and texters raising the anti Richmond bias again.

Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
We’ve got a new recruit to the anti Richmond umpiring team: Andrew Adair. Number 36 last night.

The blatant cheating and bs he dispensed last night was outrageous. He was the one involved in most contentious frees paid to Melbourne and turning a complete blind eye to ones we 100% should have received.

Driving in the car this morning, radio on, lot of callers and texters raising the anti Richmond bias again.
It’s turning very slowly. Richo brought up a couple of things last night. Need to start mobilising as much media as we can to bring this up until something is done.

mainlandy

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2004
Mont Albert
Every week it's the same. Richmond gets crucified with the free kicks and have done so for now the 8th year straight! When was the last time Richmond won the free kick count by 10? Every team gets the rub of the green every now and then except Richmond.

Every game is the same. Up until half time the free kicks (although not being great) are reasonable. Take this game. At half time the free kicks were Melbourne 7 and Richmond 6. Mind you I was annoyed at the 6th Free kick Richmond got as it was a mark that the umpire called a push despite the push happening after the mark was taken. So this was just a free kick to pad the stats.

When half time hits in every game, Richmond get absolutely crucified, and even more crucified in the last quarter of matches. So this means after half time the frees were Richmond 6, Melbourne 17! This doesn't count the 50m penalties.

The game against Melbourne last year was the same. In some absolute fluke of events, Richmond were slightly ahead of the frees against them last year at half time. After that, Richmond couldn't buy a free kick and Melbourne got every single one. I can remember that muppet Viney last year lying on the ground not moving for a minute or two. Everyone stops. Finally when the trainer got to him to try and get him off the the ground, he pushes the trainer away and jumps off the ground like a WWE wrestler and in the very next piece of play just lifts the Richmond player off the ground who didn't even have the ball. He was acting like a "tough man" and they didn't even award a free kick to Richmond for that garbage. Since when are you allowed to just lift a player off the ground even if they have the ball let alone when they don't?

I am truly sick of the way Richmond get umpired. If we lose on our merrits then fair enough, but this has really become beyond a joke. I wish there was a way to get the message across and be heard somewhere because it has really ruined AFL for me.
The last time we won the free kick count by 10+ was Round 7 2016 against Hawthorn 29 - 19.

Since the start of 2017, 27 times we have been on the receiving end of -10 free kicks for the game, with I think 2 of those games we were -20. As I stated above since 2017 we have never had a +10 free kick differential. There were also multiple games we were -9.

Compare this to Collingwood. Since 2017 they have had a +10 free kick differential 16 times and a -10 differential 4 times.

We are definitely umpired differently, it’s a disgrace, and something definitely needs to be said publicly. Sick of it

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 12 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It’s turning very slowly. Richo brought up a couple of things last night. Need to start mobilising as much media as we can to bring this up until something is done.
Mobilising the media is exactly what we need to do. Forget about writing or calling the club. That achieves nothing. And forget about the club dealing with the AFL behind the scenes. That’s definitely achieved nothing. In fact, we’ve gone backwards under that approach. They’re just pissing themselves laughing at us behind closed doors.

Let’s take the scab off this 7 year wound and get it out in the open once and for all. Yeah we’ll have certain media fwts (like Cornes) who will call us whingers etc but let’s get regular high level exposure on it. At the the of the day, the numbers don’t lie. So if we push it through the media, then they and the AFL will have to explain themselves - which they won’t be able to - and then otherwise they’ll have a lens on them that goes beyond any Richmond supporter bringing it up. They hate exposure. Absolutely hate it.

And I couldn’t give a **** about fines or whatever either. I’m so sick and tired of it I’ll throw money at the club to help pay for it and I’m backing a massive wave of other members would too.

Let’s turn this into a relentless, broader, public exposure that forces everyone - not just Richmond fans - to go “hmmmm…what is actually going on here ?”

Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Mobilising the media is exactly what we need to do. Forget about writing or calling the club. That achieves nothing. And forget about the club dealing with the AFL behind the scenes. That’s definitely achieved nothing. In fact, we’ve gone backwards under that approach. They’re just pissing themselves laughing at us behind closed doors.

Let’s take the scab off this 7 year wound and get it out in the open once and for all. Yeah we’ll have certain media fwts (like Cornes) who will call us whingers etc but let’s get regular high level exposure on it. At the the of the day, the numbers don’t lie. So if we push it through the media, then they and the AFL will have to explain themselves - which they won’t be able to - and then otherwise they’ll have a lens on them that goes beyond any Richmond supporter bringing it up. They hate exposure. Absolutely hate it.

And I couldn’t give a **** about fines or whatever either. I’m so sick and tired of it I’ll throw money at the club to help pay for it and I’m backing a massive wave of other members would too.

Let’s turn this into a relentless, broader, public exposure that forces everyone - not just Richmond fans - to go “hmmmm…what is actually going on here ?”
The sickening part is the media (radio and TV) and commentators just continue to laugh and ignore it ever happened. Has Caro ever brought this fact up on FC??

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
As we speak, I'm hearing Andy Maher....a Cartoon supporter....bring this up (with Gazey) after a non-Richmond supporting caller praised us for good performances and for our fans always turning up even in the dark days as we are in now.

I noticed supporters from other teams show this through social media so the evidence is there but the scumbags in the ivory towers just ignore.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The sickening part is the media (radio and TV) and commentators just continue to laugh and ignore it ever happened. Has Caro ever brought this fact up on FC??
This is where the club needs to start pushing its media connections. Warner, Caro…whoever. Start getting it out there. The club should also go on its own front foot. Forget about fines etc. We’ve got no choice. We’re just gonna continue to get crushed if we don’t. Step up Richmond. We’ve been weak dealing with this huge issue.

Fans. Be relentless. Bombard the media representatives be it their tv or radio shows, twitter, other social media. Everything. And use the litany of factual evidence that exists when asking the questions be it after a game or making a point in respect of years of bias. Use the data. Leave no room for grey interpretation.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
As we speak, I'm hearing Andy Maher....a Cartoon supporter....bring this up (with Gazey) after a non-Richmond supporting caller praised us for good performances and for our fans always turning up even in the dark days as we are in now.

I noticed supporters from other teams show this through social media so the evidence is there but the scumbags in the ivory towers just ignore.

Yeah now we aren't dominating I think opposition supporters are seeing what we've seen for years. In the past when we've been winning, its been stop complaining you are still winning etc. Now we aren't, and we still get the same treatment from the umps, its making opposition fans notice more, particularly to those teams at the top, as its helping the other teams out in beating us. I don't think the umpiring dictated the result last night, but it sure made it much much harder for us to get close.

How many frees did they get in their D50 last night, seemed to be an absolute ton of frees

Reactions: 5 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
This is where the club needs to start pushing its media connections. Warner, Caro…whoever. Start getting it out there. The club should also go on its own front foot. Forget about fines etc. We’ve got no choice. We’re just gonna continue to get crushed if we don’t. Step up Richmond. We’ve been weak dealing with this huge issue.

Fans. Be relentless. Bombard the media representatives be it their tv or radio shows, twitter, other social media. Everything. And use the litany of factual evidence that exists when asking the questions be it after a game or making a point in respect of years of bias. Use the data. Leave no room for grey interpretation.
There'd be no shortage of footage from matches showing the glaring inconsistencies.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
There'd be no shortage of footage from matches showing the glaring inconsistencies.
I know what you’re saying but every team could bring up glaring inconsistencies from a game. The umpires are always going to be inconsistent from game to game. I’ll bet we meet every week with them and point it out. But it achieves nothing looking at things on a game to game basis.

Rather, what’s better is to bring up the consistent data that shows, year on year, that we just simply don’t get the frees that other teams do. And by a long way. And there is, quite simply again, no logical explanation other than an overt bias because every teams free kick count bounces around. Ours does not. It’s low all the time.

And it’s not our game style either. Every team and their dog has copied us but their free kick count doesn’t take a pasting like ours does.

Go to the years of data, get it out in the open and ask for explanations of that instead I reckon.

We all know there’s been a bad 7 year smell where the umpiring of Richmond games is concerned. Well, let’s get this out in the open and give the broader public a whiff of that smell.

We’ve really got no choice as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Larrikin

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2003

The last time we won the free kick count by 10+ was Round 7 2016 against Hawthorn 29 - 19.

Since the start of 2017, 27 times we have been on the receiving end of -10 free kicks for the game, with I think 2 of those games we were -20. As I stated above since 2017 we have never had a +10 free kick differential. There were also multiple games we were -9.

Compare this to Collingwood. Since 2017 they have had a +10 free kick differential 16 times and a -10 differential 4 times.

We are definitely umpired differently, it’s a disgrace, and something definitely needs to be said publicly. Sick of it
Thanks for finding this information. I have been trying to find the last time Richmond won the frees by at least 10. I knew in my mind it wasn't from 2017 onwards but didn't know the exact time.

The thing is we get shafted on all levels. Players don't even abuse the umpires or anything yet we still get no respect.

(1) The free kick differential itself is always bad. Both in individual games and the season as a whole. They used to use say it was due to the "Noise of affirmation". This is garbage too because we can play an interestate team at the MCG who has virtually no support and will still get screwed by the umpires.
(2) After half time and especially in the last quarter the free kick differential gets even worse.
(3) Richmond always lose the 50m penalty count too. Carlton got 7 50m penalties in one game this year. This is a whole season quota of 50m penalties given to Richmond. Remember 50m penalties often are direct goals. Does anyone know where to find the 50m penalty counts for each game is shown?
(4) Where they pay the frees also screws Richmond. Never the obvious ones in our forward line. However plenty of dubious tiggy touchwood ones in our defensive 50 giving opposition goals.
(5) We get shafted with reports.
(6) We get shafted with the fixture. I brought it up in another thread but why do we always play Port Adelaide in Adeliade every year? This is now happening with Adelaide too (always playing them there every year too). We used to always play Geelong in Geelong whilst all the so called other big teams never did. We are starting to have to play them there again. This years fixture has been a joke. Playing the Suns in round 0 away, then travel back home have a 5 day rest resulting in a slew of injuries. Playing St Kilda in Adelaide then West Coast over there etc. Why don't they use our wasted time in Adelaide to play one of the Adelaide teams in Gather round since we are always gaurenteed to play those Adelaide teams over there? I don't want to always have our wasted gather round used playing another Vic team every year and especially wasting our home game on it as was the case this year.

AFL can be umpired however you want. You could justify and pluck free kicks for just about anything if you wanted. As such I realise all teams get their fair share of the rub of the green, that of course unless the team is Richmond. I am sick of it. It has put me off the game completely and I love footy. I barely watch other games now. I don't want to support this rigged sport. I still go to and support the Tigers but have stopped supporting the league. Like all here I wish there was something we could do or talk to about this because enough is enough. 8 years now with comprimised umpiring, fixturing etc! This has to stop.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
What about gawn getting the ball on the bounce and doing a draper...got all the media this week. Umps could make a statement...nah
No free, ball up.
FMD
Thats never paid holding the ball. Except once, which just so happened to be against Richmond (Houli).

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
As others have said it what happened last night is becoming the norm. Umpiring is ok for the 1st half- mistakes are made, but they dont appear terrible. Then suddenly something switches and we cant buy a free.
In isolation i can cop Broad not getting a free for a blatant push, or Baker not getting a free when Viney tries to rip his head off, or Vlastuin no getting a 50 when Fritsch comes from behind to man to mark well late, or us not getting a 50 when opposition go 3 mtrs over the mark. But when it all adds up each and every week something is clearly wrong.

Reactions: 6 users

Fighting Fury

Tiger Army
Jul 17, 2003
Thats never paid holding the ball. Except once, which just so happened to be against Richmond (Houli).
But this one was so similar to what draper did against crows... AFL even admitted that non decision was wrong.
Gawn had time to get rid of the ball but just laid flat on top of it. Even the d!ckhead commentators queried it.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
When Lever blatantly threw that rugby pass at centre-half-back in the first quarter I thought, 'how could one of them not see that?' I froze the screen a second later and if you drew a straight line through the centre of the ground from goal to goal, all four umps were either on the southern side of it or level with it at best. There were three in a line in the corridor, no more than 60 metres from 1 to 3.

There are four of them now. You'd think they could position themselves so at least one of them has a line of sight on every ball.

One umpire on each wing. One around the top of each 50, central. Done.

Reactions: 2 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Maybe the answer si for members/ supporters to blackball a game or two..

Members with season tickets will be affected. But all for a good cause.
The afl still might get the ticket money, but they will be fairly embarrassed with a low turn out. Especially if the Richmond members are outside the ground. You could let the media in on it at late notice. Do some interviews and tell them the story. The afl then has to explain why Richmond supporters aren’t there.
The members could all go to the pub and watch the game. Or hire a big screen and PRO, open some pop up bars or whatever.

Just to let the afl know we won’t put up with their *smile* anymore and they can gagf.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Maybe the answer si for members/ supporters to blackball a game or two..

Members with season tickets will be affected. But all for a good cause.
The afl still might get the ticket money, but they will be fairly embarrassed with a low turn out. Especially if the Richmond members are outside the ground. You could let the media in on it at late notice. Do some interviews and tell them the story. The afl then has to explain why Richmond supporters aren’t there.
The members could all go to the pub and watch the game. Or hire a big screen and PRO, open some pop up bars or whatever.

Just to let the afl know we won’t put up with their *smile* anymore and they can gagf.
They don’t care about crowd numbers. As long as they get the TV ratings and the betting money.

Ralphie

Tiger Rookie
Dec 6, 2015
I wonder if people start betting against Richmond and winning the betting companies might have some influence. We could start posting on eg sportsbets social media laughing about the free money