Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I wonder if people start betting against Richmond and winning the betting companies might have some influence. We could start posting on eg sportsbets social media laughing about the free money
I was thinking something similar. Be interesting if stuff started popping up on banter channels, and there were group boutique bets on the umpiring.

Reactions: 1 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Doesn't matter if we on top and lording it. Doesn't matter if we cellar dwell. We get treated exactly the same. How egalitarian. Seriously it's an incredible table.

Ralphie

Tiger Rookie
Dec 6, 2015
I was thinking something similar. Be interesting if stuff started popping up on banter channels, and there were group boutique bets on the umpiring.
I might start doing it, they don't know whether I placed a bet or not so when we get a game that is biased we post on their media feeds

Reactions: 1 user

Bryson

Tiger Cub
Jan 19, 2005
it is absolute cheating with a preset bias, zero respect for the cheating behavior and almost as if Melbourne were in the know. Non Richmond supporters had the same thoughts. The club need to come out and make a stand otherwise memberships will drop. It’s not worth the angst to watch this, all we want is a fair contest - it’s just not

Reactions: 3 users

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Excuse my ignorance but can you place a bet that side A will receive more free kicks than side B?
If so then 100,000 members should place a bet on one game. e.g. Collingwood/Richmond the result should create *smile* storm. Doesn't matter what odds are offered the results are predetermined by exposed bias.

Reactions: 3 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Thanks for finding this information. I have been trying to find the last time Richmond won the frees by at least 10. I knew in my mind it wasn't from 2017 onwards but didn't know the exact time.

The thing is we get shafted on all levels. Players don't even abuse the umpires or anything yet we still get no respect.

(1) The free kick differential itself is always bad. Both in individual games and the season as a whole. They used to use say it was due to the "Noise of affirmation". This is garbage too because we can play an interestate team at the MCG who has virtually no support and will still get screwed by the umpires.
(2) After half time and especially in the last quarter the free kick differential gets even worse.
(3) Richmond always lose the 50m penalty count too. Carlton got 7 50m penalties in one game this year. This is a whole season quota of 50m penalties given to Richmond. Remember 50m penalties often are direct goals. Does anyone know where to find the 50m penalty counts for each game is shown?
(4) Where they pay the frees also screws Richmond. Never the obvious ones in our forward line. However plenty of dubious tiggy touchwood ones in our defensive 50 giving opposition goals.
(5) We get shafted with reports.
(6) We get shafted with the fixture. I brought it up in another thread but why do we always play Port Adelaide in Adeliade every year? This is now happening with Adelaide too (always playing them there every year too). We used to always play Geelong in Geelong whilst all the so called other big teams never did. We are starting to have to play them there again. This years fixture has been a joke. Playing the Suns in round 0 away, then travel back home have a 5 day rest resulting in a slew of injuries. Playing St Kilda in Adelaide then West Coast over there etc. Why don't they use our wasted time in Adelaide to play one of the Adelaide teams in Gather round since we are always gaurenteed to play those Adelaide teams over there? I don't want to always have our wasted gather round used playing another Vic team every year and especially wasting our home game on it as was the case this year.

AFL can be umpired however you want. You could justify and pluck free kicks for just about anything if you wanted. As such I realise all teams get their fair share of the rub of the green, that of course unless the team is Richmond. I am sick of it. It has put me off the game completely and I love footy. I barely watch other games now. I don't want to support this rigged sport. I still go to and support the Tigers but have stopped supporting the league. Like all here I wish there was something we could do or talk to about this because enough is enough. 8 years now with comprimised umpiring, fixturing etc! This has to stop.
But the draw didn't waste us a home game this year. We played the Saints on gather round, but on the return game we are the home team against the saints........... playing on THEIR home ground. (Sorry for the sarcasm - seems the AFL ain't sorry)!

Reactions: 2 users

Larrikin

Tiger Rookie
Aug 26, 2003
But the draw didn't waste us a home game this year. We played the Saints on gather round, but on the return game we are the home team against the saints........... playing on THEIR home ground. (Sorry for the sarcasm - seems the AFL ain't sorry)!
Thanks for the clarification. Didn't know about this. I'd assume its both teams home game then? Either way, its annoying how we always play in Adelaide 3 times per year due to always playing Port Adelaide in Adelaide, The Crows in Adelaide and then the gather round is never against either of those two teams.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
They don’t care about crowd numbers. As long as they get the TV ratings and the betting money.
And the tv stations like to see a crowd in attendance. If there were 30,000 seats empty and people were all outside, I’m sure the media would want to know why.
If there one thing the afl don’t like is to see themselves embarrassed on the National stage

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
We’ve got a new recruit to the anti Richmond umpiring team: Andrew Adair. Number 36 last night.

The blatant cheating and bs he dispensed last night was outrageous. He was the one involved in most contentious frees paid to Melbourne and turning a complete blind eye to ones we 100% should have received.

Driving in the car this morning, radio on, lot of callers and texters raising the anti Richmond bias again.
Yeh hes s *smile*

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Any media mention of how a boundary 5 cm away from the post does not see a ball hit on the full, and change direction by 90 degrees?
and nor does the goal umpire 5 m away nor any of the 4 field umpires of whom at least 2 had an uninterrupted view?

• Haha

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Playing St Kilda in Adelaide then West Coast over there etc. Why don't they use our wasted time in Adelaide to play one of the Adelaide teams in Gather round since we are always guarenteed to play those Adelaide teams over there? I don't want to always have our wasted gather round used playing another Vic team every year and especially wasting our home game on it as was the case this year.

Don't worry Larrakin, it isn't a wasted home game against StKilda, that was just gather round. In Round 22 we have an actual home game against StKilda and it is to be played at . . . oh, wait . . . Docklands, their home ground :rolleyes:

DS

PS: seems Frickenal beat me to it, bloody outrageous fixturing.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I watched today's game and there was some incredible umpiring there too.

1 incident I will detail.

An Essendon player, maybe in the 3rd quarter, got his head ripped off. The umpire was standing there looking straight at it and called play on. Now, the call of play on is actually revealing. An umpire doesn't call play on unless something has happened which requires adjudication. So, the umpire clearly saw the high tackle rule being broken and did not award a free kick.

This is not incompetence, the umpire clearly saw the incident. I still think this is related to the AFL's agenda of less free kicks. And less free kicks means not awarding every free kick the umpires see, which is a recipe for gross inconsistency.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
The last time we won the free kick count by 10+ was Round 7 2016 against Hawthorn 29 - 19.

Since the start of 2017, 27 times we have been on the receiving end of -10 free kicks for the game, with I think 2 of those games we were -20. As I stated above since 2017 we have never had a +10 free kick differential. There were also multiple games we were -9.

Compare this to Collingwood. Since 2017 they have had a +10 free kick differential 16 times and a -10 differential 4 times.

We are definitely umpired differently, it’s a disgrace, and something definitely needs to be said publicly. Sick of it
Those are staggering numbers. 27 times to nil. It's almost a statistical impossibility given the change of players, coaches, opponents etc in that period.

The Free kick diff ladder since 2017 has the Tigers at -

18th
18th
13th
18th
18th
18th
17th

And we are 18th at the moment. No other side is consistently in that lower half let alone the bottom 4. Teams near us at the bottom, like the Kangaroos for 22 & 23 have also been at the top of the diff ladder in prior years.

GWS went 17th/17th/18th/14th/4th/9th/11th and are currently 17th. They are the closest to us. But are still 294 frees better off than us.

We should be unfurling signs at the ground with these stats, questioning how the hell it can happen.

Our our players mouthy? It doesn't appear so.

*smile* you umpires and *smile* you AFL

Reactions: 5 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
They are making any sort of win impossible now.
We were able to ride the 50 metre penalties and *smile* free kicks against when we were good.
They got us in the final in 2020 but we were good enough to get past that.
But in 2022 they torched us and we have never recovered and now they just take the steam out of any resistance we have.
The non free kick to Baker and the push in the back by Pickett was a disgrace considering there's 4 of them on the ground.
Not sure Fisher has paid us a free kick this year. And he has umpired the Melbourne Stkilda and I think the Carlton game.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Excuse my ignorance but can you place a bet that side A will receive more free kicks than side B?
If so then 100,000 members should place a bet on one game. e.g. Collingwood/Richmond the result should create *smile* storm. Doesn't matter what odds are offered the results are predetermined by exposed bias.
This.

If neutral betting organisations set the odds based on historic statistics (of Richmond winning the free kick count) then that is the proof.

Love it.