Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

I don’t care what the rule is and how the rule is interpreted but any game that requires an umpire to give a 50 for that has major issues with the way it is adjudicated.

That is garbage. I don’t care what the AFL says or the media says there is no justification that something like that should be penalised in that way.

Imagine if a team lost a final because of that bull *smile*
Imagine if a team lost a final due to an incomprehinsible ARC process where the rules aren't followed.

It's already happening / happened.

• Angry
Reactions: 9 users
I don’t care what the rule is and how the rule is interpreted but any game that requires an umpire to give a 50 for that has major issues with the way it is adjudicated.

That is garbage. I don’t care what the AFL says or the media says there is no justification that something like that should be penalised in that way.

Imagine if a team lost a final because of that bull *smile*

Oh I totally agree, there are other times as I'd also mentioned, when players mark the ball inside 50 and then a couple of seconds later, the defender grabs hold of them impeding their movement, no 50 (happened to Dusty on Wednesday so he couldn't play on and then missed the behind, its essentially a chance that you would take every day of the week). So the one that impedes movement, not paid, the one that doesn't, 50m!! Its essentially a joke and becoming tiggy touchwood crap.

Reactions: 2 users
Imagine if a team lost a final due to an incomprehinsible ARC process where the rules aren't followed.

It's already happening / happened.
Sure has.

BTW, whatever happened to the ARC looking at a players reaction as a measure of determining if it's a goal or not?

Surely they've been doing that since that fateful night in 2022, right? Right? Anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jast saw Kane's explanation of the McKay 50. Seriously, it beggars belief. It reminded me of John Hewsons explanation of tax paid on a birthday cake in the early 90s. And she had the hide to use the term 'common sense'?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Jast saw Kane's explanation of the McKay 50. Seriously, it beggars belief. It reminded me of John Hewsons explanation of tax paid on a birthday cake in the early 90s. And she had the hide to use the term 'common sense'?
Common sense died out about the same time as internet advice was invented.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
more mouthfuls of marbles from Dame Laura. she's a diabolical bore.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s odd that’s it’s 2 North players who get the highest % of goals from free kicks (31% & 24%).

And we aren’t imagining the love Harry McKay and Charlie Curnow get from the umps @ 24% and 20% respectively.
Lynchy can only dream of those numbers.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Goes all the way back to Dan Minogue & Jack Titus.
Titus got screwed. Would have got 1400-1500 goals if umpires treated him the same way as Todd mohr and pratt were umpired. Nothings’ changed in 90 years.

And don’t get me started on the late 20s in the gfs against Collingwood.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Titus got screwed. Would have got 1400-1500 goals if umpires treated him the same way as Todd mohr and pratt were umpired. Nothings’ changed in 90 years.

And don’t get me started on the late 20s in the gfs against Collingwood.
Their freaking great grandfathers were umpires. They inherited the cheating corrupt *smile* wit genes..
The current crop should all be sterilised as part of their contract. It needs to be stopped somehow.
But then the corrupt sports show called the afl will then inject them with cheating genes anyway

What is “on-field football product”?

Joel Selwood. *sigh

The AFL have been slowly and systematically gutting football, replacing key facets with not fit for purpose components.

This appointment and title are an open declaration that we are consumers only and not stakeholders. We have no voting rights, no access to feedback, no say in what happens to the game.
Completely and utterly without voice, force fed a disgusting media hyped concoction, we are powerless to bring about the much required change to a sick game that is dying a thousand deaths.

Football is like a geriatric visiting a GP. The prescribed medication causes other issues that require further medication to alleviate the side effects. All of a sudden the geriatric winds up with a pallet load of tablets that they have to take but have no idea what they are for.

Maybe this is the “on-field football product.”

Reactions: 5 users
From the start of the 18 team competition in 2021 when the Giants started until end of 2016, Richmond were 5th (that's right) on the Free Kick Differential ladder with a healthy +97 (2233 For, 2136 Against), average of +0.9 per game.

And there is no surprise that from 2012 to now, we're last by a fair way with a differential of -449 (5172 F, 5621 A) at an average of -1.6. (second last is GWS on -349)

What's stark is the differential from 2017 to now.
We are stone motherless last with a differential of -546 (2939 F, 3485 A), average of -3.2.
Richmond don't have a positive differential against any team in that time.

And with GWS second at -254, we're not only last but a clear outlier.
Umpires favourites Bulldogs and Collingwood are runaway leaders with +384 and +361 respectively.

They must have been quick to cotton on to our game style: Round 1 in 2017 was our worst result for the year with a -13 differential. 2017 overall was only -59
But I'm sure we have the same game style in finals? Apparently not: +6 for the three 2017 finals.

Umpires really hated us in 2018 for winning the flag - it was our worst year with a differential of -122, average -5.1
We are on track to beat that with the differential this year to date at -40, average -5.7

I've been bored today...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users