Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

There is a big part of what is going on which is not the umpires fault, it is the AFL’s fault.
Stand rule, holding the ball, 50 metre penalties, ruck infringements… the list goes on.
The rules have been so bastardised that the poor punter in the stands hasn’t got a clue what is going on. We were laughing at times today, it’s like a bloody lottery.
Richmond loses the lottery more than anyone but it shouldn’t be a lottery in the first place. They have made a great game bordering on unwatchable.
The odds have to fall in your favour occasionally but for us it doesn't no one can be as unlucky as us. Different coaches different players different game plan yet it actually gets worse how is this possible if it's just poor luck. It's more than that it's a deliberate guiding hand at play here.

Reactions: 5 users
What a farce. The AFL has completely *smile* up that rule.

Basically what happened today was that Freo knew they had a massive advantage around the stoppages because we have so many out. So they just took tackle after tackle and then won the clearance. Players don’t even have to try and get rid of it now. It’s pretty ugly footy imo

This is so true. Players get the ball and make no attempt to dispose of the ball legally and there is no penalty.

There is the bias towards a few teams, and against some others, but there is also the gross incompetence and inconsistency which is happening in every game.

There are 2 factors I also find interesting
1) the way that the umpires seem to choose their timing. It was the second quarter when Freo go ascendancy where they got 9 frees to our 2 which was the worst period of the game. They were woeful in that quarter and Freo got a clear advantage from the umpiring.
2) the way they gave very contentious frees and 50m penalties at the Punt Rd End where all the Richmond supporters are. They seem to deliberately go out of their way to upset Richmond supporters, it really is getting that obvious. But, pathetic really considering we are in a rebuild and it has no material effect on whether we can contend for finals.

It has become a joke.

DS

Reactions: 9 users
This is so true. Players get the ball and make no attempt to dispose of the ball legally and there is no penalty.

There is the bias towards a few teams, and against some others, but there is also the gross incompetence and inconsistency which is happening in every game.

There are 2 factors I also find interesting
1) the way that the umpires seem to choose their timing. It was the second quarter when Freo go ascendancy where they got 9 frees to our 2 which was the worst period of the game. They were woeful in that quarter and Freo got a clear advantage from the umpiring.
2) the way they gave very contentious frees and 50m penalties at the Punt Rd End where all the Richmond supporters are. They seem to deliberately go out of their way to upset Richmond supporters, it really is getting that obvious. But, pathetic really considering we are in a rebuild and it has no material effect on whether we can contend for finals.

It has become a joke.

DS
I didn't see the game, bloody Greek easter, I followed it here, and on the AFL site.
The third quarter, where it seems the umpires stayed out of it, (2 frees each way) was fairly even, which speaks volumes to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Did they blow the siren a MILLISECOND after Dow dropped the ball or did Dow predict like Nostradamus the siren was gonna blow??

Becoming more and more obvious these scumbags have something on us. I want to see class action NOW!!

Reactions: 1 user
Apart from lynch getting two goals from free kicks against carltsvum what other goals have we got from free kicks this year ??

Reactions: 1 users
1714897788586.png

Little bit of light reading, stats are from 2017 - today. It started in 2017 obviously.
Richmond Average Free Kick Differential Rank by year - 2017 = Last / 2018 = Last / 2019 = 12th / 2020 = 17th / 2021 = Last / 2022 = Last / 2023 = 17th / 2024 = Last.

Attachments

• 1714897326127.png
    1714897326127.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Angry
Umpiring horrendous again, and it’s starting to wear me down.

For 40+ years my whole weekend planning has revolved around when the Tigers were playing. Nothing was ever booked or organised if it clashed with our games. Ladder position and opposition was irrelevant, nothing stood in the way of me watching and barracking for the RFC.

I now find myself in the position where I am questioning if it is all worth it. All rusted on Tiger fans can take a beating. We are well and truly used to it.

But getting reamed week in, week out by poor umpiring is testing not only my love of AFL, but also my desire to watch Richmond every week. I never thought that would be the case.

Thanks AFL, you are ruining my enjoyment of watching the team I love. Not sure how much more of this I can take. My passion is waning. I no longer jump out of the chair in outrage at a poor decision, I just laugh sarcastically.

All we want is a fair fight. It’s not much to ask.

Reactions: 12 users
Ginnivan is the precedent. This was a loophole exposed by the media that these brainless flogs DO HAVE prejudice towards certain players. Bolton and Baker are our two main ones.

You are correct It's key moments in the game when they pay free against us or not pay one that is obviously when we are on a run. That free with a 50 after the siren for example. I called it 30 seconds before it happened it was a perfect time for a momentum call I said to my mate watch this Freo will get a *smile* free here in a minute. It's becoming very predictable now of when they pay or not pay them. I always thought this game would be to difficult to manipulate but that is proving to be incorrect
And it’s predictable that we get a couple of extra ones at the end when the game is over to even it up a bit.

To quote Steve Carell in The Big Short, the umpiring is 'dogshit wrapped in catshit'.

Last edited:
  • Haha
As a supporter I can handle going to watch my team struggle because bit of injury or even bad skills and execution I will come back next week and hope they get it right but I shouldn't have to go to a game and be focused on how the umpires are blatantly biased and not umpiring the game fairly in 40 odd years of going to the footy up until the last couple of years this was never a thing that was a focus. You might have had the odd game where you felt cheated or thought the umpires were poor but not like it currently is that it seem to be a deliberate agenda against the Richmond football club. I'm. Not a conspiracy theorist but this absolute reeks of corruption and manipulation of the game to fit an agenda that the AFL wants for whatever reason. Hopefully someone can expose the the actual hell is going on.
Spot on clown.

It will absolutely come out one day. Guaranteed.

There is a directive to umpire Richmond differently. A whistleblower will emerge eventually.

I'm so disappointed in our club for not fighting it. It's costing us members, viewers and fans.

Reactions: 6 users
This has become a farce to the point where even the commentators are calling our dodgy frees against.

There was a lot of animosity on th3 ground that I reckon could have been avoided by the umps playing frees fairly. RFC boys getting super frustrated. The one at the end to Amiss was rubbish and could have been avoided by playing the free thT was there

Reactions: 4 users
This has become a farce to the point where even the commentators are calling our dodgy frees against.

There was a lot of animosity on th3 ground that I reckon could have been avoided by the umps playing frees fairly. RFC boys getting super frustrated. The one at the end to Amiss was rubbish and could have been avoided by playing the free thT was there
Brad Johnson had a gutfull.

Opposition sides must rub their hands with glee whenever they play us. Surely most coaches would instruct their players to play for frees? Would be mad not to IMO.

9 extra free kicks, that’s equal to, or more disposals, than 4 Freo players ! This is why it’s akin to having an extra player.

IMG_0500.jpeg

When you have umps who make up interpretations as they go along and seems oblivious to some bad fouls whilst over penalising things like HTB all too quickly the game has little chance to be a spectacle. However my gripe is still the apparent bias to us with their ability to ignore obvious frees for us time and again whilst doing the opposite for the opposition

Was at the game, I’ve calmed down a bit but still absolutely fuming with those incompetent cheating *smile*. Sick of it, week after week. I’ve pointed out in a previous post, the only game we won we also won the free kick count. Other free kick counts that were close, we were competitive. Those clueless *smile* just drain the confidence out the players and raise the supporters blood pressure. Its that putrid now that even the scoreboard operator today was replaying contentious non decisions a few times.
One incident late in the game summed up the blatantly obvious bias ( or incompetence, cheating, take your pick) of the maggots. Umpire blew the whistle for a free kick, indicated it was our free kick by signalling our direction and………………………..proceeded to give the ball to a Fremantle player to take the free kick

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users
Finally the media are having a look………

THE UMPIRING AT THE MCG ON SUNDAY

Richmond supporters were livid. They had every right to be. The free kick count was 20-11, but that wasn’t the problem. The problem was the number of free kicks umpires didn’t pay when it appeared the Tigers had earnt them. Time and again, the Tigers would lay a tackle and not be rewarded for incorrect disposal. Salt was added to the wound when the Dockers, at times, received free kicks for incorrect disposal by the Tigers. Once again, confusion reigned about what exactly is prior opportunity. The more cynical Tigers supporter would say ‘what’s new’. Over the past five years, Richmond’s differential between free kicks for and free kicks against is -332. The next worst side is Hawthorn on -108. How can that properly be explained? Is there a vendetta? Or are the Tigers just sloppy or too aggressive with their tackling? If this was politics, a Royal Commission would be demanded. And if this was politics, we’d love Tigers officials to have parliamentary privilege so we could hear what they really think.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 15 users