Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
I am seriously considering a "pitch invasion" if this garbage continues. IMO, those maggots cost us the game tonight. I feel they are toying with our future and something must be done to ensure this doesn't continue. They need to know who they are *smile* with...we are not Brisbane, Melbourne, etc...WE ARE RICHMOND!

I'm sure something will give one day and some feral (quite possibly me) will do something they/I regret but will change the game forever...

Just be fair you maggots!!!!!!!!!

Mikee

Will we ever get there?
Feb 21, 2003
Melbourne
Here, here. They (umpires) definately influenced the result of the game. No one likes to use the umpires as an excuse when losing but it was clear as day that they (maggots) had a decisive influence on the outcome. It seemed early on that they had an 'agenda'. After half-time, as predicted you could see they tried to even up the frees so on the stat sheet all would look sweet. The direct goals from frees from what i can remember was telling, especially in the first half. I am pretty 'cut' in every sense of the word and will watch the replay soon to confirm what was obvious tonight. In saying this; WELL DONE TO ALL THE PLAYERS who tried their all against the odds. Keep on this path Tigers. Well done Dimma on your structures both defensively and offensively; we have a very well balanced game plan (unlike Freo, even Hawthorn) and just need to continue on and grow and improve our list with quality footballers and weed out the obvious limited players. :clap

GO TIGES!!!

marsinvenus

one eyed ferral
May 12, 2007
we dont want to see scenes like this now do we?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOxHKOhlyi0

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
Pretty sure the umpires didn't cause the numerous misses in front of goal which cost us in the 2ns half. Not the umpires fault we lost. Had 16 more inside 50s.

No excuses.

Reactions: 1 users

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Once again I am right about the shoddy biassed umpiring in our game.

They might as well have kicked the goals for Essendon.

We beat Essendon in pretty much every stat except the frees.

LOL. :rofl

Richmond made me proud tonight.
WE should have kicked those goals we missed in the third but the way we rallied after getting pummelled by the umps in the first quarter which set the game up for Essendon,was brilliant.

I know the club will not except that loss but the way the umpiring was conducted,I don't feel as bad as if they lost it fair and square.

2 frees to 10 in the first half LOL.

You can argue with me for a billion light years.THE UMPIRING WAS SHODDY.

HK Tiger

Tiger Tough
Nov 2, 2003
What I find appalling is the way the consistency is not there. Play on to advantage Essendon got loads, Maric did not even have the ball yet Stanton who did got the free then goal. Crap decision. There is no doubt flashy team seem to more goal frees than we do. Just wait till we play Kanagas and Harvey gets his 6-10 frees, Koala he is - protected!
The great tackles we did in Q3 only to see dropping the ball and Essendon get a goal has to be frustrating.
We could help ourselves get smarter in tackling and also kick straighter.
Todays umpires should be ashamed - Giesch should review the first half and dump these guys to country footy for 10 weeks

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Jetta a clear push in the back on Morris. Stanton free and 50. And King push in the back when he did not use his hands all in first half. Thanks to umpire no 10 Shane Stewart.

Ferocious

Tiger Rookie
Feb 11, 2012
MB78 said:
Jetta a clear push in the back on Morris. Stanton free and 50. And King push in the back when he did not use his hands all in first half. Thanks to umpire no 10 Shane Stewart.

The problem is the umpiring fraternity won't admit they are wrong and will not accept criticism.

Surely anyone in their right mind could sit and watch the tape from the 1st half and see a problem with a 10-2 free kick count.

I don't expect them to be right all the time but they need to be consistent, not consistently giving one side more assistance.

It's like the umps look at the ladder before the game and based on that they subconsciously favour them.

Nothing will be done about this. Geish is a classic head in the sand guy - the sooner he gets the flick the better the game will be for it.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
How can someone who played for the football club, come back 5 years later and umpire a game with them involved in it!
He killed us in the 1 st half!

I heard next week that Paul Bulluss is umpiring the game against hawthorn.

Only in the AFL

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
The perception that the number umpiring decisions needs to be even for both sides is flawed.

Bummers had far more run and were first to the ball for the first half. They looked far more switched on than us unfortunately. Yep a couple of decisions were questionable but others were there. I'd like to see them all again. Often in hindsight there is an apparent reason for the free that we miss in the heat of battle.

Were we going crook about the inept umpiring when the down the ground umpire overruled and paid Jack a mark?

Reactions: 1 user

MOTiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 10, 2010
Brunswick
I was going to start a similar thread but more on the line of dropping the ball

I'm not sure if it was last nights game in particular or all essendon games, as soon as an essendon player is tackled when there is no prior opportunity they would just drop the ball and all there players would swarm to the contest getting loose balls and continuing play. this causes a very free flowing game making essendon look very fast team but its pretty much what the AFL wants to teams to do. So for over 100 years you can't drop the ball you have to kick or handball it but now you can just drop it if you don't have prior opportunity and you look like you are trying to get rid of it. Essendon are just exploiting the dropping the ball/holding the ball rules like eagles and ducking. until some form of mainstream media points this out the AFL is going to let it slip.

jamo

The face of Evil
Apr 23, 2004
melbourne
Its never going to change, no point discussing, the last qtr decision , clearly essendon player dropped ball in tackle, play on essendon goal, it turned the momentum in the game

MOTiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 10, 2010
Brunswick
jamo said:
Its never going to change, no point discussing, the last qtr decision , clearly essendon player dropped ball in tackle, play on essendon goal, it turned the momentum in the game

That wasn't an isolated incident it was happening all night, the one in the last quarter was just as you said the turning point.

Nik

Tiger Rookie
Apr 8, 2006
I couldn't stand to watch while Essendon sung their song, but I bet the umpires were in there singing it with them!

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
rosy23 said:
Were we going crook about the inept umpiring when the down the ground umpire overruled and paid Jack a mark?

Of course not. But look closely at that particular incident and by the letter of the law it should have been a free kick anyway. The only thing I find consistent about umpiring these days is the inconsistency. There was for example one play where an Essendon player was tackled by a Tiger and he dropped the ball to the ground. A free should have been paid for incorrect disposal but wasnt. Then not 2 minutes later exactly the same thing happened and the Tigers dropped the ball and a free was paid. Those 2 decisions alone cost 2 goals to us. Umpiring inconsistency is probably the most frustrating thing. But we can't say that it necessarily evens out, just look at the figures trotted out recently for West Coast games. There i obvious bias in umpiring in today's game.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
GoodOne said:
Of course not. But look closely at that particular incident and by the letter of the law it should have been a free kick anyway.

Yes I've said that on another thread but that's not the point here. An umpire overruled one who was closer to the action to award a dodgy mark our way.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
rosy23 said:
Yes I've said that on another thread but that's not the point here. An umpire overruled one who was closer to the action to award a dodgy mark our way.

Well if the point is inept umpiring then Reiwoldt not receiving what looked like a clear free is just another example. In this case the awarding of a mark that wasn't a mark was cancelled out by the ffree he didn't get. Same result, no influence on the final result of that play.