Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
I saw a Tigers arm being held back while the Bomber took the mark.Was waiting for a free,none given,Bombers got a goal.

I saw 2 textbook holding the balls not paid.
One of them was awarded to Essendon for holding the man LOL.

I saw the replay and nearly fell down in laughter.

Mate the umpires were shocking last night.

Bannister came out of the blocks hard in the first quarter.
Hit us between the eyes.

It was like the players were walking on egg shells again.

That sort of umpiring must really demoralise the players confidence.They were getting so frustrated going by the body language.

Where's our umpires black list?

Armstrong,McBurney,Bannister.
Essendon will be rapt if they make the Granny and he is named as umpire.

Ferocious

Tiger Rookie
Feb 11, 2012
smasha said:
Armstrong,McBurney,Bannister.
Essendon will be rapt if they make the Granny and he is named as umpire.

Those 3 hacks will not be umpiring the grand final. They have NFi.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
rosy23 said:
Don't just say. Do!

LOL. That's what I'm scared of - the fact that one day I may well DO. Adrenaline, beers and Richmond is all the ammo I need...

PS - was a tad over the limit when starting this thread but just watched the replay where again, a pitch invasion would have been justified. Disgusting decisions that leaves no doubt in my mind those umps cost us the 4 pts last night.

Hope the club points out the individual instances with the geish and makes themselves heard during the week.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Also this ducking into a contest and earning a free for high contact is driving me nuts!

Once upon a time umpires used to take the view if you ducked into the contest you deserved to either:

a)Get pinged for holding the ball, or;
b)Have your head ripped off.

Sure pay the free if there is a genuine high shot, but please bring back the "He ducked into it" interpretation.

Jimmy_12

The Mansfield Monster!
Jul 19, 2004
Glen Iris
The umpiring last night was absolutely deplorable (and more to the point just so one-sided). Disgraceful decisions at crucual times...I'm not gonna bother listing them all as it's already been done. To make matters worse I was sitting in a group with an Essendon supporter who not only typified everything people hate about Essendon supporters but unbelievably spent the first half whinging about the umpiring from an Essendon point of view. I actually asked him at quarter time and again at half time if he really thought Essendon had had the rough end of the stick in terms of the umpiring and both times he said yes and was desperate to argue the point. Needless to say he was also typically smug and arrogant and spent the whole first half giving it to us (including my mate and supposedly his mate who was the only reason he was sitting with us to begin with). For the sake of keeping things civil and not doing something I might regret I found I had to go for a little walk at half time which resulted in me watching most of the third quarter from the standing room behing the goals at the city end.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
doherz said:
Its plain as day - look at the final scores - the umps didnt win the game for essendon, richmond lost the game. In particular, the forwards. 15.19.109 says it all.

Yep. 18 more inside 50s and we didn't make them count.

God we are starting to sound like Collingwood supporters.

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
Larrikin said:
The umpiring was an absolute disgrace. What irritated me the most was the 2 free kicks Watson got for ducking the head right in front of goal. The second one was appalling and resulted in an easy goal. Watson just picked up the ball in front of the Richmond player, burrowed his head into the Richmond's players sternum and got a free kick. The Richmond player didn't even tackle him, move towards him, or get his hands on Watson's head.

I was yelling out what a disgrace it was, and I had some nuff nuff Essendon supporters trying to convince me that it was there because it was too high. When it came on the screen a few times, even they finally admitted it wasn't there as Watson wasn't even tackled.

I shared the exact scenario. Couldn't believe it. What a shut decision,

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
During the thrid term when we had the run on, there were two tackles where the player is hitting the after burners but gets stripped ofthe ball (Melksham was one can't remembr the other), both not rewarded and directly led to Essendon goals. Then Maric tackled while on the ground and is penalised for not getting it out when he wasn't even in possession (Stanton had possession of the ball and was trying to shovel it back under him). Maric goes nuts, 50m - GOAL.

If we had have been functioning up forward during this period of domination and had some luck with umpiring decisions things could have been a lot different.

The other howler was the push in the back to Hurley, ump blows whistle, we all stop then it's play on open GOALLLLL! Yet a much more obvious push in the back by Jetta on Morris is allowed open GOALLLL.

IF we used our opportunities it wouldn't have mattered but you shouldn't have to beat the Umps as well.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
JR8 said:
We're up against these pr!cks every week. Sick of 'em. :mad:
X 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They absolutely award frees on reputation even if it is subconcious it sucks! King and Nahas both had their heads taken off, no free. Bombers DUCK into tackles, instant free! No consistency. Fairness should be paramount. It clearly isn't.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
.............and another thing...............

Direct quote from the age:
"Not so hilarious in the Richmond coach's box where Damien Hardwick got up, punched the wall and walked out after a free kick and 50-metre penalty was paid against Ivan ''The Mullet'' Maric for holding the ball. It was a tough call as the ball was held to him by Brent Stanton, who kicked a goal as a result, halting the Tigers' third-quarter momentum."

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
KnightersRevenge said:
.............and another thing...............

Direct quote from the age:
"Not so hilarious in the Richmond coach's box where Damien Hardwick got up, punched the wall and walked out after a free kick and 50-metre penalty was paid against Ivan ''The Mullet'' Maric for holding the ball. It was a tough call as the ball was held to him by Brent Stanton, who kicked a goal as a result, halting the Tigers' third-quarter momentum."

Bet he wishes it was the ump's head instead of the wall. Was that one Bannister? He's never played so well for the Bummers that bloke.

tiges

Tiger Superstar
Apr 16, 2007
zippadeee said:
How can someone who played for the football club, come back 5 years later and umpire a game with them involved in it!
He killed us in the 1 st half!

I heard next week that Paul Bulluss is umpiring the game against hawthorn.

Only in the AFL

I said this a few weeks back, IMO AFL is the worst officiated sport in the world.

Its amateurish week in week out again blatantly for all to see again last night.

I mean Jobe Watson gets a free for barging with his head first into Richmond player
And gets a free and goal, geez theres another 4 or 5 bummers got goals from also
that were not there.
Pathetic umpiring.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I don't for one second believe most of the umpires have it in for us. I don't believe Geisch instructs them to go hard on us as some kind of bitter revenge. Quite some amusing conspiracy theories manifest on here at times.

I am concerned about umpire performance but think all teams are affected. Sometimes it seems they want to be, or are being made to be, bigger than the game. Not a real fan of them wearing microphones and chatting to (some) players as though they are best mates to the point of even coaching them at times. I reckon they should shut up and put up. Concentrate 100% on the game. They are taught choreographed moves and how to march military style. Got to look the part prancing around in their pretty uniforms. My husband was an umpire and I cracked up at some of the instructions they got. It seems doing a good job was low on the list of priorities.

The AFL have complicated the game. The players, coaches and supporters don't know the rules or how they'll be interpreted from week to week. There are now several umpires out there making decisions who all interpret the rules differently. No wonder everyone is so frustrated.

The rules used to be pretty simple but they keep getting changed. Certain rules are even targeted at times then ignored again. So confusing for everyone.

Also it's almost a duty for supporters to get stuck into umpiring decisions. Doesn't matter if in hindsight, as is often the case, that the decision was different to how we interpreted it live.

I'd like to see a "What's your decision" kind of show where either the umpires, or their coach, are held accountable. They can tell the public why they did, or didn't as the case may be, make certain calls.

Umpires are human (believe it or not) and will always make some mistakes. That gives our game a bit of unique character imo. I don't expect perfection but I do expect consistency. I don't see how it will be achieved the way the goal posts keep being moved though.

Tigion

Us Against The World
Nov 25, 2006
East Gippsland
ive been talking about the crap maggots we cop since rd 1 nothing new to see here just have to get used to it and move on Us against the world plain and simple

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
What if we had the 7 frees to 1 in that quarter?
What would the score be after quarter time?

I reckon we would've been slightly ahead.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
rosy23 said:
I don't for one second believe most of the umpires have it in for us. I don't believe Geisch instructs them to go hard on us as some kind of bitter revenge. Quite some amusing conspiracy theories manifest on here at times.

I am concerned about umpire performance but think all teams are affected. Sometimes it seems they want to be, or are being made to be, bigger than the game. Not a real fan of them wearing microphones and chatting to (some) players as though they are best mates to the point of even coaching them at times. I reckon they should shut up and put up. Concentrate 100% on the game. They are taught choreographed moves and how to march military style. Got to look the part prancing around in their pretty uniforms. My husband was an umpire and I cracked up at some of the instructions they got. It seems doing a good job was low on the list of priorities.

The AFL have complicated the game. The players, coaches and supporters don't know the rules or how they'll be interpreted from week to week. There are now several umpires out there making decisions who all interpret the rules differently. No wonder everyone is so frustrated.

The rules used to be pretty simple but they keep getting changed. Certain rules are even targeted at times then ignored again. So confusing for everyone.

Also it's almost a duty for supporters to get stuck into umpiring decisions. Doesn't matter if in hindsight, as is often the case, that the decision was different to how we interpreted it live.

I'd like to see a "What's your decision" kind of show where either the umpires, or their coach, are held accountable. They can tell the public why they did, or didn't as the case may be, make certain calls.

Umpires are human (believe it or not) and will always make some mistakes. That gives our game a bit of unique character imo. I don't expect perfection but I do expect consistency. I don't see how it will be achieved the way the goal posts keep being moved though.