Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Lastnight that first free kick against Lions which resulted in a down field goal for Bayley Filth set the trend for the rest of the game ,whistle happy umps. Forty eight frees for the game with a third play of them on . Actually free kick count should have been well over fifty as they turned a blind eye to about seven Lions obvious frees.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I didnt notice the umpires last night for the first time all year.

hot on HTB which contributed to the game being good to watch

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Margetts 6 (368 gms)
Dalgliesh 7 (225)
Johanson 30 (15)

These three did West Coast v Essendon last week and it was 16 frees to 15. Happy if they keep the numbers low again.

Didn't realise Margetts had done that many games and never made it past a couple of prelims.
Says it all without saying much I reckon.

Reactions: 1 user

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The same tackle several other posters have also agreed wasn't high?

I'm not questioning him pulling up, just wondering how slowing down stops you from being able to get low.

Yes, it most certainly does.

View attachment 12448

Absolutely no contact below the knee there whatsoever. How silly of me, apologies for wasting your time.
Are you simple TBR?

Don't answer that. It was a rhetorical question.

I specifically told you to freeze the video from the opposite angle where there is a far clearer view of whether contact was made below the knees.

At any rate, that rule was never for that sort if incident. It was made for players like Adam Goodes sliding in legs first. This doesn't look anything like a leg breaking incident. But like all thing involving Richmond, you will take the interpretation to the enth degree just to get a conviction while holding the opposition to completely different standards. Incidentally that's exactly what the rest of us are complaining about.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Another dramatically different game method from us and another dramatically different free kick count.

Of course only a fool would argue the way you play influences free kicks.
The uncontested mark type of game invites the opposition to push the boundary and give away the free kicks.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Best outcome I can remember us having in ages. Between fair for most of the game, to us getting a few go our way.

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I reckon that the umps are really struggling at the moment. Anyone who doesn't agree, check out the non-decision for holding the ball against Arts at the 11 minute mark of the third. How can that not be paid?

Reactions: 4 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Yes. The umpiring was putrid again last night. I made the mistake of watching the vfl a couple of weeks ago and just have not been able to watch AFL umpiring without losing my *smile* since. I have no idea what they think they are doing but there is no logic to it. I just keep finding myself ranting to anybody who will listen ‘everyone loved football, no one was complaining, why did they think it needed fixing?’....

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Someone posted last night that CJ seems to be getting the frees that Lynch struggles to. I do wonder if that media assassination of Lynch did have an impact. Whatever it’s nice to get frees i50 for a change.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I reckon that the umps are really struggling at the moment. Anyone who doesn't agree, check out the non-decision for holding the ball against Arts at the 11 minute mark of the third. How can that not be paid?
There was a whole bunch of non decisions made by the maggots last night, but at least it was a rule they DIDN'T apply to both sides.
Umpy's are generally irrelevant as long as they do one simple thing, apply the rules consistently to both teams within a game. They ruin my enjoyment of the game when there is a completely different interpretation of what constitutes a free kick for one team compared to the other.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Someone posted last night that CJ seems to be getting the frees that Lynch struggles to. I do wonder if that media assassination of Lynch did have an impact. Whatever it’s nice to get frees i50 for a change.
Mighta been coz Cujo was trying to play from in front instead of behind as Lynchman has been tending to do, also perhaps that Cujo being younger n less experienced was simply trying to attack the ball as his first option rather than trying to out physical his opponent.
Whatever it was, I bloody enjoyed it.

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Yep - we got one going our way for once and the footy world has gone crazy. Juat wait - that decision (bad one) will be spoken about on all shows all week as an example of how Tigers are favoured by umps.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Another dramatically different game method from us and another dramatically different free kick count.

Of course only a fool would argue the way you play influences free kicks.
That’s one spin.
What we have seen over and over again is that when one club complains long and loud about umpiring they get a good run for a while. In fact before last week’s game I posted it as a prediction.
I am not into an anti Richmond conspiracy at AFL house but if anyone cannot see the relationship between noise from a club and umpiring then they aren’t looking. In our case there was also a lot of stats backing up the noise.
last night was a more uncontested game but the week before wasn’t. Our uncontested marks were high but tackles were still very high, above the AFL average. We haven’t changed the way we play that much, the pressure on opposition is still there, we scored over 100 points on turnover last night which is very Richmondy.

Reactions: 2 users