Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Quite conceivable that we could be still in the eight next week, but Freo would have to lose to Blues. Melbourne should beat Giants.
Since when do we drop our heads when we can still make the eight?
Also quite conceivable that Dusty, Grub, Shai, n a heap of other players could cop long term injuries over the next few weeks the way things have been going for us.
Got SFA with dropping the head n simply a matter of being pragmatic n using a touch of rational logic to consider the current and future state of our side and game.
Last four games we.....
Controlled the game against Essendrugs, yet let them jump all over us early in the last qtr before unleashing an unexpected blitz of 7 goals in 15 minutes.
Controlled the game against Wet Coke, then let them jump all over us in the last ten minutes.
Were pathetic all game against St Kiddenme.
Were pathetic early against Mould Coast, before fighting back into the game to once again let a side run all over us late in the game.

The way we've been playing footy this year, we're nothing more than a slim chance of making the finals at best and would only be making up the numbers if we did somehow get there. It would take a herculean effort to get key players back into the side, get them match fit and get the side back in form ready for a flag assault. I'd be more than happy if it were to come to fruition. But sometimes there's a need to pause n take a deep breath to fully consider all possibilities and longer term ramifications. Planning n management always needs to be running three or four years ahead of coaching n game day.

Reactions: 1 user

JamesTiger82

Follow me...
Nov 28, 2012
Melbourne
Moggies bro, texted me on Thurs mid game claiming the maggots were looking after us. When I read n responded to his text after the game I suggested 11 frees to 1 in the last qtr was hardly looking after us, he simply replied all the frees were there. A point I couldn't argue against.
Still doesn't exactly lend weight to his claim that the umps were looking after us. What would've been acceptable to him...20 to 0!?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Grant Thomas just threw out an interesting tidbit that seems incredulous. WCE have not lost a free kick count this decade century millennium. he seems to be looking at year totals. This is what he put up. Missing the first 3 years and the last 3 I guess,

The Umps loved us in 2005.

FreeKickDiff.jpg

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I thought the umps had a great feel for the game on Thurs, and performed at an equal standard to the players.
Lol. I think they’re doing what they’ve been told to do, and that’s minimise contact. I think the ‘not seeing’ of the thrown ball is softening us up for the next big rule change: allowing the ball to be thrown.

• Angry

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
The issue i have with the rule changes and rolling rule interpretation combined with the umpires focus on certain rules from game to game like on Thursday with holding is it gives the AFL the power to determine which teams are dominant. If they don't like a Coaches tactics ( usually a dominant team)they bring in rules to negate it like the 666 rule. Coaches Spend years developing their game plan and tactics and the AFL can just turn it on its head in an instant. The umpires are told to focus on a certain team because they may see them getting away with things like holding but it is only umpired for that one game. This is very close to cheating. The rules should be the rules and need to be left for say 3 or 4 years and and changes they want to make should be addressed at the end if a Season to be brought in at the end of that 3-4 year period this will give coaches the opportunity to change their game plan. The current system is basically letting the AFL mould the game to suit their agenda, they pump money into certain teams so want some return and also having the same teams dominate is not what they want. They want an even competition where every side gets a crack at it.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Grant Thomas just threw out an interesting tidbit that seems incredulous. WCE have not lost a free kick count this decade century millennium. he seems to be looking at year totals. This is what he put up. Missing the first 3 years and the last 3 I guess,

View attachment 12749

WCE even in 2000 and lost the free kick count by 22 in 2001. Overall free kick count for WCE is 105%, second to the dogs but Fitzroy had 108% from 1965 to their merger.

It sure is a strange one isn't it. Just the way they have played for a few decades I suppose, I figure they've never been a hard hitting team likely to give away free kicks and I suppose every other team, for the last 30 years, has always played in such a way as to give more free kicks away against WCE and WB for all those years :rolleyes::rolleyes:

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

View attachment 12749
Thats obviously because of the way WC play....

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
WCE even in 2000 and lost the free kick count by 22 in 2001. Overall free kick count for WCE is 105%, second to the dogs but Fitzroy had 108% from 1965 to their merger.

It sure is a strange one isn't it. Just the way they have played for a few decades I suppose, I figure they've never been a hard hitting team likely to give away free kicks and I suppose every other team, for the last 30 years, has always played in such a way as to give more free kicks away against WCE and WB for all those years :rolleyes::rolleyes:

DS
once they split the data by home and away it will be pretty obvious they play a gamestyle only at Optus stadium consistent with receiving 50% more frees than the opposition but chose not to play that way elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
once they split the data by home and away it will be pretty obvious they play a gamestyle only at Optus stadium consistent with receiving 50% more frees than the opposition but chose not to play that way elsewhere.

Largest home free kick advantage in the league. What I don't get is how Freo don't get the same benefit.

DS

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Might just be me.

This week I noticed in our game and in the highlights (on the news) of the Saints v Scabbies match that the umpires were very unclear about which team had the free kick, and which player the free kick was go go to.

I also noticed a brief view of the Emperor's private box (Saints v Scabbies again) with the Dill and the Shocking watching the game. One of the afore mentioned examples occurred and Shocking immediately turned around to speak with his lord and master. Wonder what he said?

Probably blamed the players.

Pair of *smile*.

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
Things is this....speak to any supporter of the 18 teams and they will all say they get screwed, dems the facts.

This weekend even the AFL's most loyal supporters ( commentators) were openly laughing at the interpretations, or lack of them.

The game is seriously broken, and the more they "try" to fix it, the worse it becomes.

Sad for what was a great sport, now merely a game ( read survivor Australian ninja warrior)

Reactions: 2 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
The issue i have with the rule changes and rolling rule interpretation combined with the umpires focus on certain rules from game to game like on Thursday with holding is it gives the AFL the power to determine which teams are dominant. If they don't like a Coaches tactics ( usually a dominant team)they bring in rules to negate it like the 666 rule. Coaches Spend years developing their game plan and tactics and the AFL can just turn it on its head in an instant. The umpires are told to focus on a certain team because they may see them getting away with things like holding but it is only umpired for that one game. This is very close to cheating. The rules should be the rules and need to be left for say 3 or 4 years and and changes they want to make should be addressed at the end if a Season to be brought in at the end of that 3-4 year period this will give coaches the opportunity to change their game plan. The current system is basically letting the AFL mould the game to suit their agenda, they pump money into certain teams so want some return and also having the same teams dominate is not what they want. They want an even competition where every side gets a crack at it.
I'm incensed each time I think of it. Which team has had to deal with the number of rule changes during their reign? Add in covid and there's no doubt we have the most impressive modern dynasty.

Reactions: 1 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Been playing a lot of petulant, arrogant, angry, disdainful footy this year.
In a perverse way it might not be such a bad thing to miss finals this year. Get an extended break, refresh and reset the attitude n hunger, plus conduct the necessary renewal adjustments of the playing list. Start anew in 22.
So are you saying ... we're tanking, without calling it that? Have to admit it's crossed my mind.

But then, so, the Weagles must be doing same. Both sides have been crap since our loss in Perth to them - WCE statistically even worse - 92 pt loss to the Ducks; 55 pt loss to the Dogs.
Something slipped into both sides drink bottles that's taken effect upon all the players since? o_O

Last edited:

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
*Round 16 Updated* Umpire Watch 2021 - End the Free Kick Farce

Carlton 25 Richmond 15 Foot Fleer Mollison
Hawthorn 22 Richmond 25 Fisher Brown Gavine
Sydney 25 Richmond 15 Power Dalgleish Johanson
Port 22 Richmond 12 Rosebury Deboy Hosking
St Kilda 23 Richmond 13 Stevic Gavine Fleer
Melbourne 24 Richmond 17 Stephens Dalgleish Williamson
Bulldogs 17 Richmond 21 Fisher Fleer Glouftsis
Geelong 21 Richmond 11 Haussen Stephens Williamson
GWS 19 Richmond 12 Foot Hosking Deboy
Brisbane 28 Richmond 16 Donlon Nicholls Howorth
Adelaide 12 Richmond 19 Haussen Hosking Toner
Essendon 12 Richmond 17 Margetts Dalgleish Johanson
West Coast 25 Richmond 15 Haussen Rosebury Dore
St Kilda 18 Richmond 23 Stevic Deboy Fleer
Gold Coast 29 Richmond 22 Donlon Howorth Whetton

Umpire Tallies - Including RFC Games Total
2 Rosebury -20
2 Donlon -19
2 Howorth -19
2 Stephens -17
2 Williamson -17
2 Foot -17
3 Haussen -13
3 Deboy -12
3 Dalgeish -12
1 Nicholls -12
4 Fleer -11
3 Hosking -10
1 Dore -10
1 Mollison -10
1 Power -10
1 Whetton -7
2 Gavine -7
2 Stevic -5
2 Johanson -5
1 Brown +3
1 Glouftsis +4
1 Margetts +5
1 Toner +7
2 Fisher +7

Donlon and Howorth were paired again for the second time and are now threatening Rosebury at the top of the heap.
A 4th quarter performance for the ages brought home the bacon for Hock. Rumours are starting to circulate that Umpire #18 is being kept under wraps for round 23 in the event that Richmond need a win to make the eight.

Reactions: 3 users