Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
Dimma very sly in his post match presser when asked about the weird interpretation of dangerous tackle. In previous pressers he has commented on the umpires by saying "it's a very hard game to umpire". This time he went with "As long as they adjudicate the rest of the round the same way then I'll be happy. We just want to be umpired the same as other teams". (Or words to that effect.)

Reactions: 8 users

DragaTheCro

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2004
What a difference it made when the umpiring improved in the 3rd and we even got some free kicks paid. Our momentum wasn’t halted like it was in the first half.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
The George holding the ball call on a clear handball then being over-ruled on a dangerous tackle has to be up there with the worst sequence of calls of the year. And yep there has been plenty of contenders

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Why do we always seem to be on the end of rule of the week?
*smile* ludicrous sport. What other competition changes it's rules on the fly like the AFL?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

WildStyle

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2020
As I said in the game day thread... with the rule interpretations you may as well flip a coin with any umpire decision. They really need to simplify the rules because this crap is hard to watch.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Dimma very sly in his post match presser when asked about the weird interpretation of dangerous tackle. In previous pressers he has commented on the umpires by saying "it's a very hard game to umpire". This time he went with "As long as they adjudicate the rest of the round the same way then I'll be happy. We just want to be umpired the same as other teams". (Or words to that effect.)
Asking for consistency across the round because across the season or dare we dream year to year is just way too much to hope for.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Why do we always seem to be on the end of rule of the week?
*smile* ludicrous sport. What other competition changes it's rules on the fly like the AFL?

Were they paying this last night?

Somehow I doubt it.

Just rule of the minute really, hardly rule of the week, the attention span of the AFL is not long enough to sustain that.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
This wasn’t “rule of the week” on Thursday night. I reckon that after the first ”dangerous tackle “ call from the first umpire the next umpire thought “oh yeah, I’d better pay that too” then the next. A bit of an umpires version of #metoo. I bet the rest of the games don’t see so many calls of it.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
The George holding the ball call on a clear handball then being over-ruled on a dangerous tackle has to be up there with the worst sequence of calls of the year. And yep there has been plenty of contenders
Yeah it was a shocker, as was the umpire calling holding the man on Neale when he had the ball and Bolton being called for too high on Andrews when the latter fended him off by shoving his throat.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
What about Stack’s perfect tackle in the last. Runs the guy down, tackles the oppo from behind with a bear hug tackle around the arms and the oppo falls forward with the momentum and because his face grazes the grass it was called a dangerous tackle. Never ever is that a dangerous tackle. Even BT called that one out saying that to tackle anyone in this game it is intrinsically dangerous.
I can’t recall if the oppo kicked a goal from that or not but it was just plain incorrect from the flouro flog.

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
An
What about Stack’s perfect tackle in the last. Runs the guy down, tackles the oppo from behind with a bear hug tackle around the arms and the oppo falls forward with the momentum and because his face grazes the grass it was called a dangerous tackle. Never ever is that a dangerous tackle. Even BT called that one out saying that to tackle anyone in this game it is intrinsically dangerous.
I can’t recall if the oppo kicked a goal from that or not but it was just plain incorrect from the flouro flog.
And at the time I thought great tackle Syd and thought he had won the free for HTB.
I’d forgot the old, ‘no way mate you are in a Richmond jumper’ interpretation.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Agree with all of this. Good umpires, like the good players, are now spread too thinly and some really have nfi. It is easy to judge the length of a kick for a mark though. They should at least get that right. The "stand" bullcrap also makes them far too prominent in the game. Get rid of this dopey rule asap.