Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Dimma also 'whinged' about the Umpire's Call saga....."Could they have possibly taken any longer?"

Gotta be careful Dimma, these a-holes are sooks and want money.

Fined? How can we be fined?

We improve the game every week because we have this amazing effect on our opponents - they just never break the rules when playing against Richmond. 5 frees to half time, 8 to 3/4 time, we make angels out of football teams. They should pay us for such a service to the game.

One thing I have noticed of late is a lack of free kicks (either way) in the 3rd quarter in a few games. Wondering if this is deliberate but no idea where I can find stats for free kicks per quarter.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Fined? How can we be fined?

We improve the game every week because we have this amazing effect on our opponents - they just never break the rules when playing against Richmond. 5 frees to half time, 8 to 3/4 time, we make angels out of football teams. They should pay us for such a service to the game.

One thing I have noticed of late is a lack of free kicks (either way) in the 3rd quarter in a few games. Wondering if this is deliberate but no idea where I can find stats for free kicks per quarter.

DS

This is it David. We need to stop talking about differential as the talk about differential is that we do play a bit closer to the edge, we tackle hard and we probably do give away more than the average, but the problem is as you say, that teams can suddenly not infringe against us.

So we are almost receiving 2 frees LESS than the next worst. Its absurd. If you go off averages, the Hawks usually receive 21 frees (they got 23 today, seems ok), but they usually infringe 21 times, but only 13 today.

Stats that seemingly back up the eye test in that we don't receive the frees that other teams do.

1652521464009.png

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 8 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
This is it David. We need to stop talking about differential as the talk about differential is that we do play a bit closer to the edge, we tackle hard and we probably do give away more than the average, but the problem is as you say, that teams can suddenly not infringe against us.

So we are almost receiving 2 frees LESS than the next worst. Its absurd. If you go off averages, the Hawks usually receive 21 frees (they got 23 today, seems ok), but they usually infringe 21 times, but only 13 today.

Stats that seemingly back up the eye test in that we don't receive the frees that other teams do.

View attachment 15377
No surprise really. Is it?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
we are trail blazers.

first ever player penalised for a rushed behind: Luke McGuane
first player ever penalised for marking a ball in a game with a huge crowd when the touched off the boot call couldn;t be heard: Bachar Houli (and hasn't happened since)
first ever player penalised for appealing for a free kick that wasn't paid: Tom Lynch

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Yeh he seemed to be making a hand signal to another player I thought??
Tom got his arm held down by Sicily in the previous marking contest in front of MCC members
. It was pretty obvious to most but Ray. Ball went out of play. As Lynch ran back toward full forward he indicated to Ray his arm had been held. Ray paid a free for dissent. Hawks kicked a goal from the next passage and it started their mini run.
There was that, the Nank taken out of a marking contest, the Reiwoldt sling tackle that wasn’t, the advantage call that wasn’t advantage that all cost a goal against or stopped a goal for us that really were frustrating.

• Angry
Reactions: 7 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
I'll have to watch it again, but at one stage, I thought Chamberlain called "play on, not 15" BEFORE the ball had left Cotch's boot.

He predetermined the distance the ball would go before it was kicked!

He was at his infuriating "look at me, look at me" best yesterday

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
we are trail blazers.

first ever player penalised for a rushed behind: Luke McGuane
first player ever penalised for marking a ball in a game with a huge crowd when the touched off the boot call couldn;t be heard: Bachar Houli (and hasn't happened since)
first ever player penalised for appealing for a free kick that wasn't paid: Tom Lynch
I keep waiting for some git to penalise one of our players for overrunning his 30 seconds on the shot clock. I can see it, they will blow the whistle as the player is walking in to kick. I’m surprised one of the maggots haven’t thought of it yet.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
terrible effort from the Umps yesterday.
Razor is a peanut.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It's just the little things that seem to add up. I remember one play where were streaming forward with the ball but ump called a down the ground free after an earlier handball, refused to pay advantage, and we had to stop and return the ball back 30metres to 5metres from where the initial infringement took place. If down the ground wasn't paid we're potentially having a shot on goal.

There are so many of these little incidents which I think substantially contributes to our extremely poor free kick differential.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yep, it's not just the frees they pay against us or don't pay to us. It's also the stuff tigerlove says, and the "play on, not 15" calls we get for 18 metre kicks like Lynch's yesterday when our opponents get paid the mark for kicks that travel 10, and the running too far frees against Mansell and Pickett.

Unconscious or not, it's bias.

Reactions: 4 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
It's obvious the stain Hocking put on our club still remains.
Isn't Richardson the head of the umpires.
Never hear from him but Brad Scott (the one that never stopped mouthing off at umpires) fronts the media to spin some shiitt about what they're trying to implement.
The game us on very thin ice.
The crowds are very low (media are making out that millions are watching and millions are attending, that's *smile*.
I barely go anymore and struggle to watch a full game anymore.
Purely on the umpires
Friday, switched off after Richard's was penalised for holding the ball when he handballed out but 1 minute later Taylor Adams dives on the ball and umpire calls for a ball up.
Its impossible to watch.

Reactions: 1 user

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
LOL @ you lot, TBR will be along shortly to shoot down any claims of bias against us or outright incompetence

I cant wait

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users