Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Good point about crowds being back almost everywhere else. Traffic is certainly back to normal.

And outdoor environments have proven to be extremely low risk when it comes to covid so not fear of covid is keeping people away.

The ridiculous rule changes and sanitisation of the game are at the core of the issue.

No issue with crowd at the Grand Prix.

Don't hear the NRL whinging about crowd numbers.

Most people are trying to get back to normal life.

The AFL need to explain why the crowds at the footy haven't recovered sufficiently.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Read that free kicks are up per game. This is what I also find hard to watch.
Game is to stop start . The flow of the game is dead.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
No issue with crowd at the Grand Prix.

Don't hear the NRL whinging about crowd numbers.

Most people are trying to get back to normal life.

The AFL need to explain why the crowds at the footy haven't recovered sufficiently.

DS
Even if the AFL knew the real reason(s) for low attendance, they would spin it differently. Couldn't admit they've stuffed things up.

My view is that it's a variety of reasons. In no particular order -

Constant rule changes (that most people hate)
Shocking umpiring standards (compounded by additional stupid rules, and some umpires wanting to be the star of the show)
Covid hangover (not really but the AFL would like to believe this)
Ticketing shambles
Floating fixture (Interstate and country people need some decent advance notice of dates/times of games. I'm sure this is hurting attendance)
Prices
Media (I find the media such a turn off - moron commentators all drinking the AFL CoolAid, or looking for the next beat up story. Shouldn't affect attendance but it's an overall turn off for some)
MRP (no consistency)

That'll do for now. I'm finding the game near unwatchable.

Reactions: 12 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
'Feast your ears on this this!'
Stop going. Take up a new sport.
David 'Einstein" king.
We need to introduce something that can increase the scoring from kicking in from a behind.
1 out 13 chains result in a goal.
It's better conceding a goal then a behind to get the ball back in the centre.

With knuckheads like this influencing the future of our game. We won't have football anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I don't like watching basketball, it's a good game to play but I find it a bit meh as a spectator.

AFL football is getting to be like BB, (although I don't think it's as good to play as it was), I find it very one dimensional now, very few real contests, so much of the physicality taken out of it & as for the constant stupid rule changes!!!!! As for the umpiring *smile* it's cr@p.

Fair dinkum it's driven me away from watching it. I sometimes watch a Tigers game, get frustrated with the umpiring so Iturn the tv off & do something else ( keeping my eye on the app to check the scores)

I don't watch any other games or any of the mindless footy media stuff because I'm sick of the "gotcha" aspect.

I think I'll start going to the local footy to get my footy fix.

Reactions: 6 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
'Feast your ears on this this!'
Stop going. Take up a new sport.
David 'Einstein" king.
We need to introduce something that can increase the scoring from kicking in from a behind.
1 out 13 chains result in a goal.
It's better conceding a goal then a behind to get the ball back in the centre.

With knuckheads like this influencing the future of our game. We won't have football anymore.
*smile* me.
Having they been trying this for the last 10 years with no succes?
They've suffocated the game with all these rules.
Why not add more hey?
Who's King think he is? Shocking?

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
I don't like watching basketball, it's a good game to play but I find it a bit meh as a spectator.

AFL football is getting to be like BB, (although I don't think it's as good to play as it was), I find it very one dimensional now, very few real contests, so much of the physicality taken out of it & as for the constant stupid rule changes!!!!! As for the umpiring *smile* it's cr@p.

Fair dinkum it's driven me away from watching it. I sometimes watch a Tigers game, get frustrated with the umpiring so Iturn the tv off & do something else ( keeping my eye on the app to check the scores)

I don't watch any other games or any of the mindless footy media stuff because I'm sick of the "gotcha" aspect.

I think I'll start going to the local footy to get my footy fix.
Exactly how I follow Tiges these days, TT. Used to devour every minute of it. Not now.
Occasionally have to watch a quarter of the Crows with Mrs. Quickdraw :(. Same thing. So hard to watch.

2.30pm this Saturday at Mypong the Myponga/Sellicks Mudlarks are playing the Goolwa/Pt. Elliot Magpies. Strong chance Quickdraw will be there to get back to roots :cool:

Reactions: 4 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
It's all pretty simple really.

Ongoing changes to rules (including umpire interpretations) to increase scoring e.g. the stand rule.

Scoring has marginally increased - although I think it will drop as winter hits and teams continue to find ways to defend.

Crowds have declined.

Rule changes = decline in crowds. Also throw in fixturing and ticketing.

Reactions: 3 users

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
It's all pretty simple really.

Ongoing changes to rules (including umpire interpretations) to increase scoring e.g. the stand rule.

Scoring has marginally increased - although I think it will drop as winter hits and teams continue to find ways to defend.

Crowds have declined.

Rule changes = decline in crowds. Also throw in fixturing and ticketing.
I reckon that soring has increased due to the *smile* casserole at WC and NM. Multiple blowouts. Take the blowouts out of the picture and assume 30 point wins instead and you may get lower scoring.

I miss LTRTR!

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
As usual the AFL will not ask the fans why they aren't showing up, they will just assume that their narrative is what is occurring. Geez there are a lot of similarities between how inward looking the AFL are, compared to how Russia are disseminating information to their citizens. This is what we want to tell you what is happening, we don't care about truth, this is out truth and its the narrative we will stick to.
The AFL did send out a survey asking that very question. They wanted to know why I hadn’t been to a game yet (after rd 5 or 6). Was it Covid or was it for other reasons. I let loose with the ridiculous rules, the umpiring inconsistencies, digital ticketing, and lastly the obvious bias against Richmond in the consistent free kicks against rfc.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
The AFL did send out a survey asking that very question. They wanted to know why I hadn’t been to a game yet (after rd 5 or 6). Was it Covid or was it for other reasons. I let loose with the ridiculous rules, the umpiring inconsistencies, digital ticketing, and lastly the obvious bias against Richmond in the consistent free kicks against rfc.
Any feedback since? Sorry stupid question.:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Someone else said it perfectly.
The AFL is not the owner of the game.
The rules should be more than what the Dill wants.

Reactions: 3 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Just noticed we have possibly the most red hot dissent/wiggle ya toe on the mark, umpire (21 Simon Meredith) on duty tomorrow night.
Let's hope we are on our best behavior because i have a feeling this bloke in particular will make us pay!

• Sad

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Essendon are going to want to try and prove themselves as tough so they’ll come hard (to start with anyway) so there‘ll be plenty of frees given to Richmond early as they give away stupid free kicks.

Ah who am I kidding:X3:

• Haha

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Essendon are going to want to try and prove themselves as tough so they’ll come hard (to start with anyway) so there‘ll be plenty of frees given to Richmond early as they give away stupid free kicks.

Ah who am I kidding:X3:
This has a classic “ping the retaliator (us)” stink to it already.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Woweee Carlscum getting a dream ride from umps v Swans
cant touch Curnow it’s an automatic free

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I started the survey but only answered one question. How many games have you been to? I answere d 2... It was round 6 or 7... and it's says thank you we only need responses from thos who haven't been to any games.
Fools. Might have said why I hadn't gone to 3 more.