Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
even if he didnt flop, it looked like he backed into Tarrant, who then held his ground pushing back at Daniher.
Daniher was once a promising young KPF, but now he is a slightly better version of Hipwood. big, agile, can look great with room. but soft.

Those 2 starred in the first quarter when their forward line was open, but once the pressure came those 2 disappeared. AGAIN.
Hipwood is better

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
The Lions second goal absolutely infuriated me when Daniher obviously flopped at the hint of contact. No wonder Tarrant was absolutely filthy with Joe.
Should be looked at by the MRO for staging but won't be sadly.

The umpiring was a mess for both sides yesterday.
wasn't he also laughing in Tarrants face after he got the free ?
... what a crap piece of work Joe Daniher is, he's a sod, and the Lions is the perfect place for him ..

Reactions: 3 users

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
Umps calling for a score review once review was over shown on screen as a goal free the given to Balta
Very weird stuff going on as umps are late in calling frees
Makes me think that someone is directing them in their earpiece as to when to give frees and when to let game go
I assume the afl came out and defended going to the score review was correct. Even though it was a free to Balta. Never admit they are wrong.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
I assume the afl came out and defended going to the score review was correct. Even though it was a free to Balta. Never admit they are wrong.
The umpire thought that Balta was an offensive player so was going to give him a free and a shot at goal if the score review didn’t show a goal.

He later found out he was a defensive player.

It makes sense even though it’s kind of crazy. They are that focused in on the decisions they forgot team was kicking which way and who kicked the ball.

Reactions: 1 users

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
Wonder whether Balta would have got the free if the umpire had realised he was the defender and not the forward.

Reactions: 6 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Wonder whether Balta would have got the free if the umpire had realised he was the defender and not the forward.
I have wondered exactly the same. The commentary was basically the attacking team can usually do whatever they want (except Lynch / Richo)

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Umps calling for a score review once review was over shown on screen as a goal free the given to Balta
Very weird stuff going on as umps are late in calling frees
Makes me think that someone is directing them in their earpiece as to when to give frees and when to let game go

"yeah that one looked bad on the replay, if you see one for the other team, pay it"

"you missed one against Jack Riewoldt, good job keep up the excellent work"

It's interesting how an earpiece changes the way games are umpired (through real-time feedback, which has never happened before). A figure from outside the game can now influence a match's momentum because of that new ability to communicate feedback in real time.

They're becoming more noticeable. I saw a spot where a Brisbane player went over to argue with the umpire, and the umpire just put his finger in his ear and turned away.

I'm pretty sure it was his ear.

Last edited:

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
bump ...

weird effort from the Dumps last night
started strong for us, then evened thing up..
but, correct me if I'm wrong, did we not get a free kick in the 2nd half until the last few minutes? when it was all over?

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Back to Fridays game, in the first qtr when a Collingwood player tackled Langdon, good tackle, another pies player jumps on top, yeah happens a lot and stops the ball coming out, but then about 3 or 4 more pies players all jump onto the pack aggressively and late and don’t allow Langdon to move. They were late, it was not a football action nor part of the original play - why wasn’t the decision reversed - they were allowed to pile on top of a player late because of what he said prior to the game - I thought it was a bad look for the game.

Ah - but collingwood and Geesook players can do whatever they like, I forgot.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Interesting the subject of holding Lynch off the ball all the time and the club’s frustration with it all came up.

Only just worked it out now the dumb media.

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Only watched a half of each quarter if that makes sense, but whatvo saw was so many "holding the ball" decisions that we didn't get.

Meaning, we tackled quite well, they dropped ball...after a couple of seconds and simply play on.

2 against Dixon that were ridiculous.

Never seen a season with worse umpiring.

Reactions: 3 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
The HTB rule is only fully understood by a small few, elite humans called umpire whisperers. I feel it is actually a vibe rather than a rule as I have been following this game for a while now and have no idea how the vibe will ever be interpreted on any given oval.
Thought the umps were typical last night, we didn't get the rub if the green but we did receive a number of very correct decisions in the first half. Which was unusual.

Mac

Tiger Champion
Sep 16, 2003
Only watched a half of each quarter if that makes sense, but whatvo saw was so many "holding the ball" decisions that we didn't get.

Meaning, we tackled quite well, they dropped ball...after a couple of seconds and simply play on.

2 against Dixon that were ridiculous.

Never seen a season with worse umpiring.
I thought the last quarter was probably the worst for it. But it was raining and possibly the wet weather fumbling effected how it looked at ground level. Having said that I thought we should have had 3 or 4 frees for it. The good thing was the fact our pressure and tackling was back. Sometimes it works better for us if we don’t get the free, but do the spillage.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
But we won the free kick count by 1, away.

The wheel is turning, another similar thing to previous years. The umps smash us during the year, but things even up during finals cause we play finals type footy - that’s how I saw last nights game.

On Lynch, the umps just ignore him often.