Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
How about when Marlion marked the ball in the 1st quarter and the man on the mark took a couple of steps to the side? That's a black or white situation. Unfortunately for Marlion, the umpire just didn't feel like paying 50m in that moment.

The umpire subjectively chose to ignore a black and white rule that has zero ambiguity.

Marlion was visibly pissed off and you could see him charge at the next contest with aggression... so of course, you already knew what would happen next. Sure enough, the umpire took the opportunity to pay a free kick against him for something ambiguous that could've also been interpreted the other way depending on how you look at it.

Typical.

Nobody knows the rules, and the umpires just subjectively ignore the rules about 80% of the time someone breaks a rule.

Either change the rules or pay everything that happens - otherwise, the many omissions that are currently required to be made are purely subjective and therefore prone to bias.

Reactions: 8 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I just pray we don't get this Nathan Williamson effwit who's just rogered Paddy McCartin.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I can't find the stat, but at half time I think the frees were 7-6 in Hawthorn's favour at half time. 20-10 by the end of the game. What was simply astounding was the holding the ball free kicks. Richmond player barely gets the ball and is tackled, with clearly no prior, they got pinged. Yet, time after time, a Hawthorn player gets tackled, does not dispose properly and it's a ball up, sometimes no prior, sometimes they had prior. If you are going to pay holding the ball when there is no prior then pay it every time or not at all. It was glaring the difference in the interpretation, glaring.

Now, watching the Collingwood game and they get a gift from the umpire. The umpire called play on too quickly on the Sydney player who had marked on the last line, and he called play on after the Collingwood player was already over the mark. Gift goal to Collingwood, absolutely no understanding of the rules, appalling decision.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I can't find the stat, but at half time I think the frees were 7-6 in Hawthorn's favour at half time. 20-10 by the end of the game. What was simply astounding was the holding the ball free kicks. Richmond player barely gets the ball and is tackled, with clearly no prior, they got pinged. Yet, time after time, a Hawthorn player gets tackled, does not dispose properly and it's a ball up, sometimes no prior, sometimes they had prior. If you are going to pay holding the ball when there is no prior then pay it every time or not at all. It was glaring the difference in the interpretation, glaring.

Now, watching the Collingwood game and they get a gift from the umpire. The umpire called play on too quickly on the Sydney player who had marked on the last line, and he called play on after the Collingwood player was already over the mark. Gift goal to Collingwood, absolutely no understanding of the rules, appalling decision.

DS
Yep and strangest part is that we and Scumwood play similar (or thereabouts) !!!

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
How about when Marlion marked the ball in the 1st quarter and the man on the mark took a couple of steps to the side? That's a black or white situation. Unfortunately for Marlion, the umpire just didn't feel like paying 50m in that moment.

How about Lynch getting pushed over while walking back to the mark? Would have been 100m against us, yes, we give away a lot of 50s, but how come we get none?

DS

Reactions: 9 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Ridiculous decision in the colonwood swans game. McCartney marked, played on and then was tackled and under pressure stepped over the goal line and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t paid for deliberately stepping over the goal line. Absolute dog’s breakfast of a decision by umpire number 22.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
How about Lynch getting pushed over while walking back to the mark? Would have been 100m against us, yes, we give away a lot of 50s, but how come we get none?

DS
That’s 50m every time and twice on Sundays - especially if we do it. But because it’s Richmond it’s “immaterial.”

That in the back on Lynch in the last quarter was right in front of the umpire and obvious to everyone. Just blatant bias.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Rob Findlay (#23) umpired his 300th game today. Fair effort since he doesn't know the *smile* rules.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
Being at the game I thought they were OK apart from 3 or 4 against us.

A trip. Which should get a week.
And a few holding the balls which as per usual we don't seem to get.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious Tiges

I remember when Balmey just thugged them .....
Apr 11, 2003
I can't find the stat, but at half time I think the frees were 7-6 in Hawthorn's favour at half time. 20-10 by the end of the game.
Yes David, you are correct it was Richmond 6 frees Hawthorn 7 frees at half time. I commented to a person near me how I felt we were having a good run with the umps. I checked again at 3/4 time and it was Richmond 8 Hawthorn 11.
We kick 9 goals in the quarter, have all the ball yet get two frees and they somehow double us.

The game was umpired fairly up to half time, after that usual fare for the RFC.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I sat with 2 hawthorn supporters who kept whingeing about all the frees to Richmond and Lynch in particular.

I said “you do know you’ve got double the free kicks of ours?”. He surreptitiously pulls out his phone, opens the AFL app, checks the frees and quietly puts his phone away.

I say ”You didn’t believe me did you?”

His response: ”its 15-9, that’s not double”……whilst Lynchy kicked another goal…

• Haha

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We don't get holding the ball decisions.
We get them paid against us bit we seem to get 1 in 3. And it has to be really obvious for then to pay it.
Like others have mentioned. Moving on the mark, only if you play Richmond you can move, only if you play Richmond you can push or bump them after a mark without a 50.
Some of the decisions let go by the umpires yesterday to Hawthorn were a joke.
Even Hawthorn players knew they had been caught.

Reactions: 2 users

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
We don't get holding the ball decisions.
We get them paid against us bit we seem to get 1 in 3. And it has to be really obvious for then to pay it.
Like others have mentioned. Moving on the mark, only if you play Richmond you can move, only if you play Richmond you can push or bump them after a mark without a 50.
Some of the decisions let go by the umpires yesterday to Hawthorn were a joke.
Even Hawthorn players knew they had been caught.
Only if you play Richmond can you stick your leg out and trip a player up and it gets called play on

• Angry
Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It was rampant today and they didn't pay us a free for it once.
we did get one, on the wing, maybe against Newcombe, must have been in the 1st half, cos i dont think we got a free in the 2nd half at all, did we?

but they certainly got away with plenty.