Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I can just picture the Umps now at halftime, going over their stats. Umpires with the lowest freekick count will want to make up the numbers. Can't be seen to not be doing their job.

Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Why do you think this new set up has just been made?

To be honest I'm not sure what the change is so hard to say, but I'm assuming it is to reduce the running load which would be a good thing.

In my opinion Eddie McGuire's model of 8 umpires covering the ground, without goal and boundary umpires, is where they should be aiming to get. Do that and ditch the bounce and it would greatly increase the quality of officials in each game.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
To be honest I'm not sure what the change is so hard to say, but I'm assuming it is to reduce the running load which would be a good thing.

In my opinion Eddie McGuire's model of 8 umpires covering the ground, without goal and boundary umpires, is where they should be aiming to get. Do that and ditch the bounce and it would greatly increase the quality of officials in each game.
Well, hopefully with more umpires on ground and the less territory they need to cover, the more intrusive they can get (like NFL and NRL refs) to witness the ball closer and make better decisions.

Reactions: 1 user

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Well, hopefully with more umpires on ground and the less territory they need to cover, the more intrusive they can get (like NFL and NRL refs) to witness the ball closer and make better decisions.

Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reactions: 2 users

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Remove interpretations and replace with a set of rules.
More umpires is a backward step. This has nothing to do with the issues as far as I care.
More humans equals more interpretations, more confusion.
FMD the AFL are amateur.

Reactions: 8 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
AFL won’t be happy until each player has their own assigned umpire. They’re the stars of the show after all.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK

For me the loss of the goal umpires would be sacrilege. Their sometime flamboyancy was the first thing I really noticed when I first found footy as it made the game somehow different. To me anyhow

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
For me the loss of the goal umpires would be sacrilege. Their sometime flamboyancy was the first thing I really noticed when I first found footy as it made the game somehow different. To me anyhow

Bring back the lab coats and hats too, today's goal umpires have no style, the old ones looked like something out of the stone age, back in the stone age, it was great.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

They'd still be there in terms of the signalling and flag waving etc, just there'd be two of them and they would also make decisions in play as well.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
I really would like to believe that this will be a benefit to the game.
If the reason for a fourth umpire is simply to reduce the amount of running and nothing else why not have an umpires interchange. One umpire swaps to the interchange after a goal. They rotate in turn. But that is not the actual reason for this change.
What football doesn't need is a fourth umpire on the ground. All that is required is for the three already employed to be better at their job.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Again a change that has not been properly tested and trialled. FMD the AFL are a joke.

I predict in our 1st game of the season there will be at least one case of umpires getting in the way and impeding players, maybe even a collision.

I also predict that there will be a heap of free kicks in the forward lines as there will be an umpire close up to watch the forwards and backs doing their traditional push and shove and scragging while to ball is coming down the ground.

Maybe Lynch will be a beneficiary of this considering he's always blocked and held on to? But then again maybe not....

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Can't wait until 2053 when we have an umpire allocated to every player on the field.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Again a change that has not been properly tested and trialled. FMD the AFL are a joke.

I predict in our 1st game of the season there will be at least one case of umpires getting in the way and impeding players, maybe even a collision.

I also predict that there will be a heap of free kicks in the forward lines as there will be an umpire close up to watch the forwards and backs doing their traditional push and shove and scragging while to ball is coming down the ground.

Maybe Lynch will be a beneficiary of this considering he's always blocked and held on to? But then again maybe not....
Guaranteed there'll be teething issues in the opening game of Rd 1. I'd hate to be the team playing in that game!

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty

How much testing and trialling do they need? They've been working on it for 4 months, and now they have a full range of intra club scratches and practice games to work through it, which must be about 3 or 4 rounds of footy.