Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That is the problem…. It is almost never paid. When umpires are instructed to only pay the obvious free kicks cos they don’t want EVERY free kick paid (slows down the game) the game is flawed and the result IS controlled by the umpires. Only when ALL free kicks are paid will it be a level playing field. The AFL should trial paying all free kicks -I wonder if the blocking and holding and arm chopping would naturally disappear or at least be reduced. At the moment the players know what they can and cannot get away with but if they knew EVERY free kick would be paid would it change the way the game is played or would it become a technicality nightmare. Would it make it any lease frustrating to watch than it already is?

F*ck Me, are you seriously suggesting they follow the rules as published by the AFL?

No way, can't have it, how would the umpires have any influence, what would become of our game? It would just be controlled by how the players play, can't have it.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Is cripps a protected species, he seems allowed to do whatever he wants - throws, dropping the ball, high tackles etc
Absolutely he is. It's infuriating what he gets away with. Throws the ball like a rugby player.

Then our blokes get tackled and straight away it's holding the ball.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Last minute, nank send a ball in, weitering devotes himself to sheparding lynch from the contest,

Easy carlton mark.

Commentator says 'lynch held out of it brilliantly by weitering'

Not even big richo could argue weitering was doing anything other than blocking Tom.

What is the actual rule on blocking in a marking contest?

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Is cripps a protected species, he seems allowed to do whatever he wants - throws, dropping the ball, high tackles etc

Yes. I think Dusty and cotchy are the only non-protected species brownlow winners of any era?

• Angry

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Absolutely perfect. Yes there really was four main stooges not just three. Larry, Mo, Curly and Shemp. With another couple of later entries by Joe Besser n Joe De Rita. Could it be an omen that eventually we'll have six maggots crawling all over the game in future.
Oh wiseguy. Why I oughta……

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Putting extra idiots in the mix doesn’t raise the intelligence level or improve their decision making or bias.
Bloody mob of sHockings…cheats, inconsistent bumbling dickheads, prancing show ponies, .
A couple of capuchin monkeys would do a better job than these buffoons.
I hope the ATO investigate the AFL umpires for fraud
They can all gagf.

• Love

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Adam 'Collapses' Cerra. Crumples Jr.
watched the replay, this is so true, so obvious. Fair dinkum, its dumb umpiring. 1 the frees are barely there, if at all, 2. haveing staging form supposedly, allegedly, logically, means the umps are likely to not pay them to players with form.

How hard can it be? What do they do during the week? They obviously aren't watching tapes and thinking about how to do things better.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yes. I think Dusty and cotchy are the only non-protected species brownlow winners of any era?
Cochin isn’t according to the keyboard warriors on Twitter. “ Protected species since he headhunted Shiel in 2017 and is an overrated sniper”

• Haha
  • Angry

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
Last minute, nank send a ball in, weitering devotes himself to sheparding lynch from the contest,

Easy carlton mark.

Commentator says 'lynch held out of it brilliantly by weitering'

Not even big richo could argue weitering was doing anything other than blocking Tom.

What is the actual rule on blocking in a marking contest?

As I understand it if you block a player's path to the ball in a marking contest then you must be attempting to mark or spoil the ball yourself. So what Weitering did in that play would seem to satisfy the conditions for a free kick to Lynch. So much blocking is borderline and difficult for the umpire to decipher which of the players is causing the contact. But in this case it was probably pretty clear.

1679057814092.png

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 user