Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Fres 10-9 our favour at half time. If Collingwood were up by 84 points at half time the frees would at least be 20-9.

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
Watched both Essendon v Swans, then my lads v Dogs. In both matches the umpiring was a disgrace. Thought i would mention Essendon v swans match, as well rather than be seen as a sore loser. The biggest concern is say ya get 4 questionable decisions against ya, THEN DO NOT get the same say 4 questionable decions paid your way, its an 8 differential. ( they raw figures only show the frees for and against).
Ohhh and to get some posters blood boiling, here goes....YES SELWOOD got to many frees for head high..... alas now he has to be decapitated to get one...my point being the umps cant think about the situation, more the player.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Watched both Essendon v Swans, then my lads v Dogs. In both matches the umpiring was a disgrace. Thought i would mention Essendon v swans match, as well rather than be seen as a sore loser. The biggest concern is say ya get 4 questionable decisions against ya, THEN DO NOT get the same say 4 questionable decions paid your way, its an 8 differential. ( they raw figures only show the frees for and against).
Ohhh and to get some posters blood boiling, here goes....YES SELWOOD got to many frees for head high..... alas now he has to be decapitated to get one...my point being the umps cant think about the situation, more the player.
I'm surprised Selwood hasnt needed a knee reconstruction with all the knee bending he has done over the years

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
I'm surprised Selwood hasnt needed a knee reconstruction with all the knee bending he has done over the years

Im surprised players didint adjust thier game, to realise what might happen, ohh and as aside i see Shuey still has his head high gold card!

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
How was that trip on Prestia with 11mins to go in the last. Ump said inadvertent when opponent clearly stuck his leg out to trip him.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
This is a classic example of lots of the issues the average punter has with the umpires.

The rule is absolutely crystal clear that the clock stops when the boundary umpire signals out on the full and starts again when the player brings the ball back into play.

The commentators don't help by not knowing the rules either, or being professional enough to have it checked for 10 seconds before they create a false issue.

I believe I know most of the rules. so no need to be facetious. There are ALOT of rules and lets be honest they change ALOT and they are often interpreted differently from week to week so I think it's a bit tough to blame supporters or commentators for not knowing specific less obvious rules. I would have thought that the clock should continue once the umpire sets the mark just like any shot for goal but happy to have been corrected, so thank you.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Big game for the maggots next week, they are truly going to be in a quandary.

Richmond (-33 free kicks at 88.74%) v GWS (-34 free kicks at 88.4%).

Will they pay any frees? Will it be the lowest free kick count ever? Will Richmond and GWS players faint from surprise as they receive free kicks and the opposition don't get questionable frees?

Tough game to be a maggot.

DS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Big game for the maggots next week, they are truly going to be in a quandary.

Richmond (-33 free kicks at 88.74%) v GWS (-34 free kicks at 88.4%).

Will they pay any frees? Will it be the lowest free kick count ever? Will Richmond and GWS players faint from surprise as they receive free kicks and the opposition don't get questionable frees?

Tough game to be a maggot.

DS
Plus the other quandary. Umpiring WCE in Perth v the umpires darlings in Collingwood!

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012

To give a small bit of credit to the umps and the rules committee, one of the positive changes over the last few years has been the reinterpretation of the high contact rule. Now if you you shrug, duck, or lead with your head, you're just as likely to get pinged for holding the ball as draw a high contact penalty.

Because keep in mind, that's what Selwood does. He doesn't 'go lower, and harder' or whatever nonsense Geelong supporters like to spout, he has a technique for slamming his neck into opposition forearms. A little bend of the knee, a little flick of the shoulder, and that last second acceleration into the tackle.

What always annoyed me is that this is a meta-skill. It's not really footballing ability, it's a manoeuvre that exploits a loophole. Which has thankfully been made much tighter.

Selwood has always been an average skilled footballer, with no regard for personal safety, a winners mindset, and effective trick. And he's showing his limitations now they've pointed out his trick was essentially cheating.

Though it does make me laugh when all the Geelong supporters who are so used to getting things their own way start losing a couple of games and blaming the umpires for not giving them preferential treatment.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Cats are average umps didn’t cost them. Clangerfield finally not rewarded for his consistent theatrics and he couldn’t believe it. None of their youngsters ran the game out, think they will struggle at the business end. Imagine another home final at the g v tigers?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Does anyone have the numbers that shows how many goals come from free kicks for Ben Brown??
It seems nearly every goal comes from free kicks.
Why doesn’t the herald sun show free kicks for individual players anymore?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Cats are average umps didn’t cost them. Clangerfield finally not rewarded for his consistent theatrics and he couldn’t believe it. None of their youngsters ran the game out, think they will struggle at the business end. Imagine another home final at the g v tigers?

Geelong players harass the umpires like soccer players on to referees.
Selwood, Ablett and especially Dangerfield are always in constant conversation with the umpires

tigerlandishome

Carna Tiges
Jun 4, 2007
Perth
To give a small bit of credit to the umps and the rules committee, one of the positive changes over the last few years has been the reinterpretation of the high contact rule. Now if you you shrug, duck, or lead with your head, you're just as likely to get pinged for holding the ball as draw a high contact penalty.

Because keep in mind, that's what Selwood does. He doesn't 'go lower, and harder' or whatever nonsense Geelong supporters like to spout, he has a technique for slamming his neck into opposition forearms. A little bend of the knee, a little flick of the shoulder, and that last second acceleration into the tackle.

What always annoyed me is that this is a meta-skill. It's not really footballing ability, it's a manoeuvre that exploits a loophole. Which has thankfully been made much tighter.

Selwood has always been an average skilled footballer, with no regard for personal safety, a winners mindset, and effective trick. And he's showing his limitations now they've pointed out his trick was essentially cheating.

Though it does make me laugh when all the Geelong supporters who are so used to getting things their own way start losing a couple of games and blaming the umpires for not giving them preferential treatment.
Wait until Selwood retires and sues the AFL for the brain damage that he contributed to.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Does anyone have the numbers that shows how many goals come from free kicks for Ben Brown??
It seems nearly every goal comes from free kicks.
Why doesn’t the herald sun show free kicks for individual players anymore?
This is an ongoing problem Zips. He is also a pretty big "stager", I made same call last year, poor old Rance actually milked a free and got suspended. This goose gets frees because they look like frees because of his acting. He should be treated like The velvet sledgehammer in my opinion and given sweet FA.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Geelong players harass the umpires like soccer players on to referees.
Selwood, Ablett and especially Dangerfield are always in constant conversation with the umpires
Ya missed the biggest umpire's arse kisser in the comp zippers. That big sniveler Hawkins sucks so far up the maggots clacker you're lucky to see the stops on his boots.