Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Bluebaggers got some more than questionable ones no doubt.

The 100m against Shai was crap, especially when the initial high contact free wasn't there in the first place.

Regardless of the initial free, Bolton's actions after that was just dumb. Pushing him as he tried to get up was always going to cost a 50, then to try and stop him running off was just a total brain fade. Needs to control himself.

Reactions: 3 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Regardless of the initial free, Bolton's actions after that was just dumb. Pushing him as he tried to get up was always going to cost a 50, then to try and stop him running off was just a total brain fade. Needs to control himself.
Agree...sucks but that was just dumb football.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Thought the Bolton 100m was a farce.

The umpiring after half time was atrocious. I saw Reiwoldt running towards the ball, very close to me and to a maggot on the ground: Reiwoldt was held without possession, the holding was above the shoulder and then he was pushed in the back. Decision: no issue, ball went out so throw in. Absolute garbage.

If they want to do something about congestion then pay holding the man. You see it week after week, players held when not in possession. Then they will pay one every now and again, grossly inconsistent. If a player is held when not in possession of the ball it is a free kick, always has been, no idea why this has become an optional free on the basis of how the maggot is feeling at the time - it is a joke. Either pay frees for holding the man or be honest and abolish the rule.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Finally got the highlights video to, sort of, load. Looking at that free paid against Astbury(?) in the last quarter when he marked the ball after it was touched, the free resulted in a Carlton goal. Exactly where was the prior opportunity there? Where was the intent to dispose of the ball improperly? How many similar incidents led to a ball up?

Gross inconsistency as usual. Beyond frustrating.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The umpiring after half time was atrocious. I saw Reiwoldt running towards the ball, very close to me and to a maggot on the ground: Reiwoldt was held without possession, the holding was above the shoulder and then he was pushed in the back. Decision: no issue, ball went out so throw in. Absolute garbage.

When Carlton kicked out in the last quarter, Riewoldt was slung to the ground while standing the mark to allow the Carlton player to play on. There was a lot of holding of the wrist by both Weitering and Jones on Lynch and Riewoldt during the game.

What happened with the Murphy goal review? The goal umpire appeared to signal a behind, but the decision was overturned. Did the footage definitively show the ball not hitting the post?

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
When Carlton kicked out in the last quarter, Riewoldt was slung to the ground while standing the mark to allow the Carlton player to play on. There was a lot of holding of the wrist by both Weitering and Jones on Lynch and Riewoldt during the game.

What happened with the Murphy goal review? The goal umpire appeared to signal a behind, but the decision was overturned. Did the footage definitively show the ball not hitting the post?

They apparently used the snicko technology to overturn the decision that the ball hit the post. The vision wasn't decisive and there was no deviation on the snicko. Not sure I fully trust that technology yet. Unlike cricket, there is plenty of movement around the goalposts that can distort the analysis.

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Yes, it was pretty clear from the vision that the ball didn't deviate as it passed the post.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Thought the Bolton 100m was a farce.

If they want to do something about congestion then pay holding the man. You see it week after week, players held when not in possession. Then they will pay one every now and again, grossly inconsistent. If a player is held when not in possession of the ball it is a free kick, always has been, no idea why this has become an optional free on the basis of how the maggot is feeling at the time - it is a joke. Either pay frees for holding the man or be honest and abolish the rule.

DS
Nail on the head here DSS.
Some of the way players at stoppages are "wrapped up" while the ball is thrown up are a travesty of the rules.
The basis of footy is that you cannot hold a player unless he has the ball. In the old days you would here commentators saying A free kick paid to Weightman as he was "*smile*" going for the ball. And that didn't mean he was tackled it was because his opponent pulled his harm or grabbed his jumper no matter how briefly.
You can't tell me JackLynch Kennedy et al wouldn't kick a hundred goals if they didn't have to break a wrestling hold before commencing each and every lead.
And the blocking used to be call shepherding has to be within 5 m of the ball..... A kicked ball takes a split second to travel 5m yet forwards are mauled for its whole flight.
Yes the coaches, umpirires are a lot to blame but the custodians have let the game degenerate into a hybrid of rugby, gridiron, soccer and basketball.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
the consistency of HTB yesterday was back to its old laughable self. all the 50/50 ones went their way. we lay a great tackle with prior and we might get a free kick. they lay a decent tackle with debatable prior (and some too high) and they got paid a free kick every time.

mjb

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2007
The 2 50m penalties against Bolton were absolutely there and I would have been furious if they weren’t paid had the situation been reversed. That said, I didn’t think that the original free kick was correct. Free kicks are seen through team eyes, I know that at the game I’m filthy at some decisions then on replay I’m “yeah, fair enough”. One persons “might have been a bit lucky to get away with that” is another persons “once again we’ve been bent over and reamed”.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
F
the consistency of HTB yesterday was back to its old laughable self. all the 50/50 ones went their way. we lay a great tackle with prior and we might get a free kick. they lay a decent tackle with debatable prior (and some too high) and they got paid a free kick every time.
Funny the Carlton bloke next me yesterday was saying the Blues copped the rough end of the HTB stick. I've given up...the rule is bs so i will lead to bs decisions.

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
I don’t get how they pick and chose when the ball is ‘knocked out in the tackle’. Yesterday There were several good tackles where the player just dropped it when tackled.... play on and then one where the ball was clearly knocked out and it was called HTB. Total lottery

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
That was a classic example of what I am referring to earlier in this thread about our lack of education.

The interpretation is crystal clear that a player under the impression they have marked a touched ball isn't deemed to have had prior opportunity so all he had to do was hang on to that ball.

Instead, he panicked and tried to fight through the tackles and tried to get a kick away, turning a ball-up into a free kick.

A Geelong or Hawthorn player would have drawn the ball-up every single time.

Your point would be good, if not for the fact we see so many players get more than one opportunity. They try crashing through the pack, then hold it in: ball up. It is the inconsistency which drives me crazy.

DS

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana
When will the Umpires stop giving too high free kicks to Shuey when he contributes to the high contact?

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
*smile* outrageous, and it’s got Hocking’s mawprints all over it. He’s in charge of the rule changes and the umpires. The game has enough problems without Hocking dragging it down further. The most useless *smile* to draw an income from the game since Vickery at Hawthorn. Hocking isn’t needed. Get rid of him.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
******* outrageous, and it’s got Hocking’s mawprints all over it. He’s in charge of the rule changes and the umpires. The game has enough problems without Hocking dragging it down further. The most useless **** to draw an income from the game since Vickery at Hawthorn. Hocking isn’t needed. Get rid of him.
Yep

Hey Mr T

Can we add "Hocking" to the swear filer?

Suggest changing it to *smile*wit - That seems to get past the swear filter quite nicely.

:rotfl1:banana:)):);):(:ban

Last edited by a moderator: