Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
They are so inconsistent on this one. I've seen players roam around for ages and no play on, yet others are barely back behind the mark and it is play on.

I figure the players just have to wear this but it makes life hard when you don't know what is going to happen next.

I guess the hub situation is making it more difficult for everyone, but consistency of interpretation should be a cornerstone of growing the game and they're having a bad year.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
They are having a bad year, but I have been saying that since 1973.

What players, coaches and fans want is certainty - something clearly lacking at the moment.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
They are having a bad year, but I have been saying that since 1973.
What players, coaches and fans want is certainty - something clearly lacking at the moment.
DS

they don't know what they're doing .. chickens without a cranium ..

• Haha

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Let's just hope that they put the whistle away through the finals, and if they are going to pay a free kick, it's a pretty bloody obvious one.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
It's not their fault.

There's no other sport in the world that would change their rules mid week because a coach whinged about it.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We have O'Gorman again tommorow night.
He hasn't given us a free kick in 3 games previously.
0-11 is his record against us

• Sad

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Another is 15/not 15. They seem to pick on a player at random, usually in defence, and unexpectedly call play on which creates a problem for the player with the ball.

You'd think they could collectively be instructed to make an early assessment - if not sure they could all pay the mark, or they could all issue an early "Play on!".

Would be interested to know more about how they train and whether they do enough group exercises, or it's predominantly individual reviews and fitness.
The dockers got screwed with this one. Reece conca must be remembered as a tiger in the ump rooms.
Just on that the dockers got screwed by the ups as bad as I have seen this year. I only saw the second half but the difference in interpretation of the same rules for each team was a divide to large for me to believe was fair play. The brain fart on the last 2 frees that ultimately cost them the game shows the ups dont know the rules and have no feel for the game.
F ing useless

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
It's not their fault.

There's no other sport in the world that would change their rules mid week because a coach whinged about it.
Yep kind of, but they didn't change the rule they just made the grey area of the interpretation or a kind of rule a little more or less grey. I am not sure which grey they went with but its definitely grey.
Rules need to be BLACK AND WHITE. RIGHT OR WRONG. NOT AN INTERPRETATION OF AN OPINION OF THE INTENT OF THE RULE.

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Yep kind of, but they didn't change the rule they just made the grey area of the interpretation or a kind of rule a little more or less grey. I am not sure which grey they went with but its definitely grey.
Rules need to be BLACK AND WHITE. RIGHT OR WRONG. NOT AN INTERPRETATION OF AN OPINION OF THE INTENT OF THE RULE.
Exactly correct.
The interpretation stuff is why O Gorman and Chamberlain can crucify us tomorrow (and they will) then sit down and say every decision was correct and they performed brilliantly.

• Angry

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Why are umpires not calling players running too far from a kick out? It happens all the time.

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Incredibly tough job to umpire a fast contact sport with so many grey areas.
While also being judged on your ability to sync with two other umpires interpretations.

Commentators watch from a raised viewing platform, through binoculars, with absolutely no physical or weather restrictions whatsoever, and still rely on slow mo replays, from seven camera angles, to decide that probably the umpire got it wrong, or often the umpire actually got it right in the first place.

Would love to watch the game from the head cam of the adjudicating umpire only, and at true speed.
Maybe see a reply from the other two umpires cams, but again at true speed.
Then the umpires may be given the credit they they are due.

Suggestion without notice.
Why dont umpires be put in four man teams and train and umpire on match days together, as a team?
The biggest criticism of umpires is that they are not consistent.
Let the umpires umpire together week after week and that will improve.

Then the best, in form umpiring teams get the blockbuster games, leading to getting selected for the grand final.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeah, agreed, and when the umpire says “back a metre” and the player continues to ignore and the umps just give up!

its like telling little kids to take a step back from a birthday cake at preschool.

The standing of the correct mark is way more important than protected area enforcement IMO

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Gotta say, after the weekend, the HTB interpretation is getting worse and worse. How many players, after prior opportunity, were tackled and dropped the ball in the tackle and the tackler wasn't rewarded? Meanwhile a bloke picks up the ball in a contest, with no prior gets wrapped up immediately, arm pinned and gets paid HTB.

I think we are rewarding the wrong tackles.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Why are umpires not calling players running too far from a kick out? It happens all the time.
Because they only focus on what they are told to on a week by week basis. The game isn't that complicated.

I've heard the commentators mention it over the weekend so there's nothing surer than Razor or gormless to ping Short at some stage tonight. It will be the first one pinged for the year.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Gotta say, after the weekend, the HTB interpretation is getting worse and worse. How many players, after prior opportunity, were tackled and dropped the ball in the tackle and the tackler wasn't rewarded? Meanwhile a bloke picks up the ball in a contest, with no prior gets wrapped up immediately, arm pinned and gets paid HTB.

Yeh, it's not that hard. So many good tackles not rewarded.

The one they need to ping is the player that takes possession and almost dives straight into the tackler wanting to create a stoppage.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Because they only focus on what they are told to on a week by week basis. The game isn't that complicated.

I've heard the commentators mention it over the weekend so there's nothing surer than Razor or gormless to ping Short at some stage tonight. It will be the first one pinged for the year.
Yep - you can put money on it

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003

I am shitting my pants about these umpires tonight. I reckon they will be worth 5 goals to the Suns.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005

A lot of people say it is a hard game to umpire, but this is an easy one to enforce. The way you have described this is spot on, easy.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Every time ive seen a GC game, they have been reamed by the umpires.
Tonight they will be compensated