Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Every time ive seen a GC game, they have been reamed by the umpires.
Tonight they will be compensated
I reckon both teams would vote for the "No Umpires, and players call the free kicks that occur' option. Grade 6 lunchtime match style

Unless essendon were playing, most teams would call the obvious frees and the game would be tough, fair and flowing.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Question.

Any stats on how a umpire runs during a game?
How many kilometres?
How many sprints?
Repeat sprints?

Apart from the decision making required, it is also athletically challenging.

Just thinking that, as umpires have moved to better pay grades.
Why dont more nearly made it delisted players, or recently retired players with no other skill sets, automatically gravitate to umpiring?

If umpiring was easy, they would.

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
I've never been particularly fond of umpires, but I do feel a bit sorry for them trying to keep with the continual changing of interpretations that the numskulls from AFL HQ foist on them.
They must go to each game thinking, "now what is the latest change I've deal with"

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Question.

Any stats on how a umpire runs during a game?
How many kilometres?
How many sprints?
Repeat sprints?

Apart from the decision making required, it is also athletically challenging.

Just thinking that, as umpires have moved to better pay grades.
Why dont more nearly made it delisted players, or recently retired players with no other skill sets, automatically gravitate to umpiring?

If umpiring was easy, they would.

Theres heaps of hard jobs that people do consistently well for not much pay.

Pretty much any job where you cant work from home fits this category.

Midwife, electrician, sex worker to name a few.

No way would o'gorman be installing a residual current device in my house

Reactions: 1 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Well he is a shocker :eek:

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013

I reckon being a copper or an ambo. Or an emergency dept. nurse would be up there with the worst.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I've never been particularly fond of umpires, but I do feel a bit sorry for them trying to keep with the continual changing of interpretations that the numskulls from AFL HQ foist on them.
They must go to each game thinking, "now what is the latest change I've deal with"

i don't feel sorry for them at all. they choose to be Umpires. if the (mis)communication between themselves and the AFL is poor, then sort it out. its not rocket science ... or is it...?
no offence btw tt33...;)

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Thought O'gorman must've been reading PRE.

he gave us a good run.

rankin running down kmac at a crucial moment. he was gone.

got away with it.

like ive always said, he's not a bad ump Gormy

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
Incredibly tough job to umpire a fast contact sport with so many grey areas.
While also being judged on your ability to sync with two other umpires interpretations.

Commentators watch from a raised viewing platform, through binoculars, with absolutely no physical or weather restrictions whatsoever, and still rely on slow mo replays, from seven camera angles, to decide that probably the umpire got it wrong, or often the umpire actually got it right in the first place.

Would love to watch the game from the head cam of the adjudicating umpire only, and at true speed.
Maybe see a reply from the other two umpires cams, but again at true speed.
Then the umpires may be given the credit they they are due.

Suggestion without notice.
Why dont umpires be put in four man teams and train and umpire on match days together, as a team?
The biggest criticism of umpires is that they are not consistent.
Let the umpires umpire together week after week and that will improve.

Then the best, in form umpiring teams get the blockbuster games, leading to getting selected for the grand final.

There is no doubt in my mind that the team idea for umpires should be trialled for a season. What I think you will find is greater consistency within the team as the season goes on. Teams maybe inconsistent with other teams. Clubs will be able to study this and instruct players accordingly. Wether we win or loss the free kick count doesn’t bother me to much but what does annoy me is inconsistent decisions over the course of a game

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I thought our forwards were stiff a few times. One clear one for Jack being held. A number of illegal blocks. I think this is why Lynch lashes out.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The blocking rule is a bit of a strange one, almost impossible to be consistent. Was the player blocking or making a serious attempt to mark? Very hard to pick.

Holding forwards prior to the ball coming in, and as it comes in, is rife. To be honest they have let this go for way too long and to fix it they would need to make a major announcement that holding when the ball is coming into 50 is actually going to be paid as a holding the man free, as it always should have been. Then of course we need them to implement it consistently, which means there is little point as consistency from umpires appears to be impossible these days.

DS

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
thought the umps were ok. couple of holding the ball/incorrect disposal rules not paid - against kmac and against king who dropped it and sexton goaled

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
i don't feel sorry for them at all. they choose to be Umpires. if the (mis)communication between themselves and the AFL is poor, then sort it out. its not rocket science ... or is it...?
no offence btw tt33...;)

No offence taken arty, as I said I've never been a fan of umpires, maybe I was just having a "soft" moment. :D

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The free kick differential after rd 12.

Surprisingly North lead with +59, unsurprisingly Collingwood are up there with +44.

And us sitting 3rd last with -31.

ClubFrees ForFrees AgainstDifferential
North Melbourne24718859
Collingwood22518144
Port Adelaide20717334
Fremantle18415529
Sydney20018911
Western Bulldogs20719710
Adelaide2272198
GWS Giants2082017
Brisbane 2102064
Melbourne 187189-2
West Coast157160-3
St Kilda203212-9
Carlton 190204-14
Gold Coast191213-22
Essendon 167196-29
Richmond195226-31
Geelong181227-46
Hawthorn166216-50

• Wow

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Pretty obvious that the Scum can’t cope unless they clearly lead this stat. The evidence is in :mhihi :mhihi

How are those poor Hawthorn supporters coping after the glory years of free kick Hawthorn? Clarko obviously losing his influence over Gil.

• Haha