Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Given the truly embarrassing display by the maggots in yellow tonight I thought it time to resurrect this thread.

Hard to know what to say really, the standard of umpiring is so clearly inadequate it is hard to know where to start, but I will start with one thing: gee, I wonder who the umpires were supporting tonight?

They just cost Brisbane a win, and handed a win to Geelong. It simply is not good enough when bad umpiring decisions determine the outcome of a game. There was a clear and blatant free kick to Brisbane within 5 metres of goal right at the end of the game. Ignoring some of the other howlers while the umpires were handing out frees to Geelong in the last 5 minutes, that decision alone decided the game.

Just not good enough for a professional elite sport.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
They just cost Brisbane a win, and handed a win to Geelong. It simply is not good enough when bad umpiring decisions determine the outcome of a game. There was a clear and blatant free kick to Brisbane within 5 metres of goal right at the end of the game. Ignoring some of the other howlers while the umpires were handing out frees to Geelong in the last 5 minutes, that decision alone decided the game.

The bigger issue here is that this loss, going by history, means the Lions are virtually out of the finals race.

This quote from the article I have linked to below

"To be exact, 58 teams have gone 0-2 since the 2010 season. Only five of them, or 8.6 per cent, have gone on to play finals."

So over 90% of the time, if you start 0-2 you have an early end to the season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/9b0d8d5021ece808812837698407b79d

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
The bigger issue here is that this loss, going by history, means the Lions are virtually out of the finals race.

"To be exact, 58 teams have gone 0-2 since the 2010 season. Only five of them, or 8.6 per cent, have gone on to play finals."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/9b0d8d5021ece808812837698407b79d
Bookies have them 1.35ish Or about a 75% chance of making the 8. Tops 4 they are now less than 50%.

Saying they are out of the finals race just doesnt make logical sense.

You need to judge how many games they will win in the rest of their draw vs the rest of the comp.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
if you were a conspiracy theorist you'd almost call that last five minutes 'match fixing'

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne

Gotta love stats. How many of those 58 teams have gone on to finish bottom 4 or 5? In other words, how many had no chance of making finals even if they were 2 and 0, like Gold Coast were a couple of years ago.

A better conclusion might be, “When teams start 0 and 2, most of them are well off the pace anyway and are correctly placed but a few are anomalies. Some of those anomalies get their season back on track and some don’t.”

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Gotta love stats. How many of those 58 teams have gone on to finish bottom 4 or 5? In other words, how many had no chance of making finals even if they were 2 and 0, like Gold Coast were a couple of years ago.

A better conclusion might be, “When teams start 0 and 2, most of them are well off the pace anyway and are correctly placed but a few are anomalies. Some of those anomalies get their season back on track and some don’t.”
Fair enough

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
My issue continues to be not so much with the umpires , but the stupid grey area rules , a half ased tackle gets rewarded more then a technically correct one.

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
While I agree there is an issue with grey area rules, there was no grey area on that Blicavs free, it was blatant and obvious.

Simply not good enough from the umpires, they have to improve, and get dropped for such incidents.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
So did the umpire miss it because he was unsighted?
Did he genuinely decide that it was not HTB? And therefore a mistake?
Did he cheat?
Did he lack the balls to make the correct call in front of a baying Geesook crowd?

percyms

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
So did the umpire miss it because he was unsighted?
Did he genuinely decide that it was not HTB? And therefore a mistake?
Did he cheat?
Did he lack the balls to make the correct call in front of a baying Geesook crowd?
Last option is my guess - he simply must be relegated for quite some time after that weak effort

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Got a text from my Bro. Apart from that ONE missed decision by the maggot on the goal line. The moggies were reamed by the umpires all night long, so the win was justified.
Pointed out a couple of blatant umpiring *smile* ups that went in the moggies favour, one which gave Duckwood a goal snap and the double fifty not paid in the ten minutes of game I watched n my Bro has gone off radar again.
Got a feeling he's gunna disown me some time in the near future, probably write me out of his will. Might not get his treasured photo of him with the Duck, Clench n Little Gazza after all.

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
Poor umpires dont get sent to the country anymore, they get a richmond game because the free kick count always seems one sided anyway

Reactions: 1 user

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Yeah my Cat Cuz was at my joint yesterday. I brought up the game. He was very happy with result. I was having a pleasant Sat so didn't even go there.