Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Pandaboy

Tiger Superstar
Mar 27, 2009

This game becoming a circus how is this not holding the ball.
I think the average person can excuse those calls which could be argued either way, but my word that is as bad a howler as ive ever seen. The rules couldnt be clearer. . . if u grab the ball in a ruck contest and get tackled its HTB. Its just not possible for an umpire familiar with the rules to miss that. I could get my 8 year old son to officiate that and be able to make that call. Just mind boggling. That non call should be worthy of that umpire stood down for the rest of the season. Can only imagine what bomberblitz would be saying.

The Leigh Colbert non-mark in that Adelaide final is probably the only other howler that comes close to that one.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
there was an incident in the Dogs / Lions game and 1 Ump gave the free to the Dogs, another Ump gave it to the Lions.
says it all really ...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Some clubs like Footscary constantly get looked after, not sure why.
But once again 4 goals up at half time 15-7 free kicks there favour

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I've come to the conclusion that umpires often don't pay what they see. Instead, they pay what they are looking for.

Last night, umpires were not looking for Port players dropping a hot potato in the tackle so they don't pay them. They weren't looking for Port player's falling into the back of their opponent so they don't blow for that. They weren't looking for a throw out of a tackle so they don't reward the tackler.

Tiger's over the past 4 years have developed a reputation as a side that infringes more than others. So that's what umpires are looking for. That's why we get shafted.

Most of the frees we give up are there.

It's the frees we don't get because the umpires are not looking for them that causes the discrepancy.
Think you've nailed it JJT. I watched the Swans replay and noted all the frees. Almost all that are paid against us are there plus they get some 50/50 ones. We just never get the ones we should. And never the 50/50's. Thinking about it I am always shocked when we get a soft one. It lends itself to what you say, umpires are simply not looking to pay them.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Umpire 11 Curtis Deboy. Port Power 10 frees.
Richmond 0.

He was bloody hopeless.

Name and shame please in a respectful way
How could this happen?
It would be like me umpiring a Richmond game 54 free's to 0.
The AFL are run by the most amateur pricks in any sporting organisation.20210410_145421.jpg

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Frees in the 2 matches this round: Swans 29! - Bummers 16. Port 22 - Tiges 12.

whatever, but it's ridiculous
Heard that one umpire in the Syd Ess game paid 16 frees to Sydney, 0 to Essendon.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

TheUmpire

Tiger Rookie
Sep 30, 2003
I think the average person can excuse those calls which could be argued either way, but my word that is as bad a howler as ive ever seen. The rules couldnt be clearer. . . if u grab the ball in a ruck contest and get tackled its HTB. Its just not possible for an umpire familiar with the rules to miss that. I could get my 8 year old son to officiate that and be able to make that call. Just mind boggling. That non call should be worthy of that umpire stood down for the rest of the season.
As much as I hate Sydney (and Essendon for that matter) the rule has changed last year. You are able to grab the ball in the ruck and it does not count as prior.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
besides the grey areas in the game , the thing that frustrates me more is we appear to be more an more rewarding players second to the ball

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
How could this happen?
It would be like me umpiring a Richmond game 54 free's to 0.
The AFL are run by the most amateur pricks in any sporting organisation.View attachment 11895

Not good enough from a supposed professional organisation.

Soccer has the same but will not schedule a referee in a game where their supported team plays. Apparently the AFL don't care.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Soccer has the same but will not schedule a referee in a game where their supported team plays. Apparently the AFL don't care.
So where's the Richmond supporter umpires???

• Haha

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

Up until COVID affected it, the cricket also appointed neutral umpires.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Up until COVID affected it, the cricket also appointed neutral umpires.

Even what they have done post Covid is confusing. When England were playing in India, all the on-field umpires were Indian - no problem from me, understand why BUT why was the tv umpire not neutral? They don't need to be at the ground, they can watch anywhere from a tv, so why were they also Indian? Doesn't make sense.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Even what they have done post Covid is confusing. When England were playing in India, all the on-field umpires were Indian - no problem from me, understand why BUT why was the tv umpire not neutral? They don't need to be at the ground, they can watch anywhere from a tv, so why were they also Indian? Doesn't make sense.
Two words: the BCCI.