Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
We shouldn’t be expecting much from the umpires this week.
The dogs are 127 % frees for vs frees against. This is the highest
We are the lowest in the comp at 70 %

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I love the title of this thread. It's like some sort of morse code distress call. Umpire farce ....dot dot dot.....must stop !....dot dot dot....send re-enforcements....dot dot dot...

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Geezuz. Who can blame him ! Worst officiated league in Australia.

Can go to just about any level below AFL and see a better standard. Country, suburban, TAC. Whatever. All considerably better umpired than the AFL is.

disagree.

I watch all levels of lower leagues and the umpiring is routinely dreadful.

the new rules (insufficient attempt, ruck noms, 666 and stand) are an absolute horror show at junior level

I understand it when the umps are getting $50.

but when they are getting $2000, I don't understand it.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
disagree.

I watch all levels of lower leagues and the umpiring is routinely dreadful.

the new rules (insufficient attempt, ruck noms, 666 and stand) are an absolute horror show at junior level

I understand it when the umps are getting $50.

but when they are getting $2000, I don't understand it.

Maybe they're struggling with the stand rule, but as someone who goes to countless VFL and TAC cup games, the umpiring across the broader spectrum is infinitely better. They don't get everything right - nobody can - but the bs interpretations and technical over do is far , far less. You don't get anywhere near the angst - especially at TAC Cup games. The AFL is an outright disgrace.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Maybe they're struggling with the stand rule, but as someone who goes to countless VFL and TAC cup games, the umpiring across the broader spectrum is infinitely better. They don't get everything right - nobody can - but the bs interpretations and technical over do is far , far less. You don't get anywhere near the angst - especially at TAC Cup games. The AFL is an outright disgrace.

I agree 100% on the final point.

But I regularly LOL at decisions in the QAFL

(I only go in for umpire abuse when they are on $2 grand a game)

but for whatever reason, I agree the umpiring is better at elite U18 level than senior AFL.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
All we are after is consistency. Good or bad.
And both ways.
I’m sick and tired of the bad always being our way

Reactions: 6 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There are a couple of points made here which are the ones which make this really difficult

1. If we start complaining publicly about umpires now it will be because we are losing. It truly is a no win situation
2. Whenever specific decisions are reviewed it is always about whether that decision is right or wrong but because that is the way the AFL approaches scrutiny it deflects away from the real point that most are making and that is about consistency. It is not always about why was a free kick paid, it is also about why was the same thing not paid consistently through a game.

The situation with Richmond is verified by the stats. In every year since 2017 except one we have been 18th in free kick differential and in that year we were 14th. That statistic continues this year with a 98-142 free kick count. This is a trend based on over 100 games of football, it is not a 3-11 count at halftime of one game like what Jason McCartney was complaining about. Because it is a trend over 5 seasons the club is well within it's rights to ask the AFL and the umpires why this is the case. What is it about Richmond that means we consistently have free kick statistics like this?

Maybe the stats gurus like David King might also like to answer that question ?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agreed consistency is the key.

Just 1 thing but was so evident as it was literally within the same minute.

4th quarter, Great Southern stand wing, Melbourne kick it out on the full just outside their D50. Can't remember who it was but kick in to Broad, probably about 11-12m, called play on fairly. Broad gets tackled kicks it out on the full. Melbourne kick it in maybe 8m, paid as a mark. Same umpire. How can they get 2 decisions so close to each other, both identical, so wrong??

Reactions: 5 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Umpires need retraining into not getting sucked in from players:

throwing themselves forward in a marking contest
shrugging shoulders to get a high tackle
dropping at the knees when being tackled to get an in the back
throwing

and paying “chop of the arms” when the defender has actually punched the ball.

And be retrained to not be so keen to pull out and pay some twiggy touch wood soft free kick.

Oh, and be retrained to not ream Richmond every week....

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Personally think Neale was lucky. Agressive and he was sooking about blood on his head that came from an accidental knock from Betts' knee.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Personally think Neale was lucky. Agressive and he was sooking about blood on his head that came from an accidental knock from Betts' knee.
I never noticed him at freo, but ever since he has gone to Brisbane he has become a massive whinging little prick.

go polo

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 28, 2005
The umpires love the dogs they dive and it is in the back, the constantly throw the ball under the disguise of a handball. Umpires are back to their 2016 best in relation to the dogs.

Reactions: 2 users

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Would love to see the free kick differential after 6 rounds. I do know we are minus 44! Would also love to see a table of frees, back, middle and forward or even better goals scored from frees.

I acknowledge it is a tough gig being an umpire but..........just be consistent to all teams can't be that hard can it?

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Would love to see the free kick differential after 6 rounds. I do know we are minus 44! Would also love to see a table of frees, back, middle and forward or even better goals scored from frees.

I acknowledge it is a tough gig being an umpire but..........just be consistent to all teams can't be that hard can it?
https://afltables.com/afl/stats/frees.html#2021

This is where I get my info but doesn't break it down to the level you were interested in

Interesting thing is that every year we have won the flag since 1967 we have had a negative free kick differential

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
I struggle to watch AFL now, this year.

The umpiring is appalling.

Especially the holding the balls.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
The umpiring is an outright disgrace.

It was interesting to hear Brayshaw on Friday night refer not once but a couple of times to the fact that the Bulldogs were throwing the ball and, importantly, state that numerous clubs had complained to the AFL about it several times.

But as always with that *** Hocking, and that dud Richardson as well, its a case of "nothing to see here."

Such a corrupted bs league.

Reactions: 5 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The rules are so open to interpretation that the AFL can look at two identical incidents, but one resulting in a free and one that doesn't, and claim both were the correct decision.

As for us, our clash guernsey is umpire friendly. We need to wear it more often, make it the official Away jumper.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The rules are so open to interpretation that the AFL can look at two identical incidents, but one resulting in a free and one that doesn't, and claim both were the correct decision.

As for us, our clash guernsey is umpire friendly. We need to wear it more often, make it the official Away jumper.

Didn't help us the 2 previous weeks from getting reamed.