Umpire farce - must stop! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • If you are having trouble logging in to the forum please contact [email protected] // When reseting your password or awaiting confirmation please check that your email is correct and also your junk/spam emails.
  • IMPORTANT! Our inbox is full of email errors from members who have not updated their emails, please follow the instructions on how to update here
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - must stop!

larabee

#13!
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Reactions: 7 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
So Dan Richardson has come out and said they *smile* up!

Will be expecting a mea culpa weekly for our matches now..... maybe he should just hold the presser prior to the game!
There is no way Dan has watched the footage with the volume on or asked the ump then. He has obviously just gone with media hysteria!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Tazzytiger

Tiger Cub
Mar 1, 2008
There ya go, with 12 mins to go in the GC v Collingwood game Burgess is tackled straight away after taking the ball. He’s been given plenty of time to get rid of it then is penalised for “no genuine attempt”. Like Easton Wood last night (except Woods disposal was incorrect too)
That Easton Wood decision was a shocker. AArts got pinged for one when he received the ball with a scragger about to wrap his arms around him.. I did notice our boys were waiting till the Doggy players did their shoulder dip before tackling them.. They are learning and I think the umpires might be as well.
Makes a bit more funnier now.
Would have taken a good kick anyway.. It would have been after the siren. So no arc.. I hate Geelong so I'm happy

Reactions: 1 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
I said in the game day thread, it is unfair on everyone, including her, that she is doing AFL games and probably on the panel. She is substandard every week.

She made some deadset obvious howlers all night, the Aarts holding the ball, the West one, Cotchin dived on it at one stage, the Bontempelli one on quarter time.
You heard it here first, TBR critical of an umpire.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
If the AFL are going to review the umps' very last decision in a game, why not review all of them?

this.

the easton wood non decision was worse than the cameron decision.

we get 5 or 6 howlers a weeks, and I cant remember ever getting an umpiring debt clarification?

but i was watching syd v cats last night, not completely neutral cause i hate geelong more than sydney,

and the 'not 15' was over adjudicated, badly, all night. 10m kicks were paid as marks and 20m kicks play-on.

it was like spatial roulette

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
A lot of subjectivity has been written into the rules over the last decade or so where umpires need to consider multiple things before making a call. That's the problem. The AFL for the most part can explain a free kick and a non-free kick for the same incident.

It used to be a lot simpler but then so did the game. But there is absolute umpire bias in the game whether the bias is deliberate or not. WCE get it easy in Perth. Eddie arcs up and is a media honcho so you don't want to upset his boys.

But what is incontestable is that RFC had been at the bottom of the freekick differential for so long but no one can explain why, choosing instead to ignore the stat or claiming it's meaningless. We were at the bottom when we were *smile*, and now when we're the best we're still at the bottom. We obviously don't play the same game style but no matter what, the stats show we have the worst differential.

It must be because the supporters don't understand the rules.

Reactions: 3 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
If the AFL are going to review the umps' very last decision in a game, why not review all of them?
yep. is it just because of it being in the last minute that they review? because it's 'controversial' ?
clubs should be able to ask clarification on any dodgy decision.
why is the Umpire Association sacrosanct ? ?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Hello Geelong Football Club. I would like you to meet the Karma Bus.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Why would the AFL apologise for one of the hundreds of incorrect decisions made every week?

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Why would the AFL apologise for one of the hundreds of incorrect decisions made every week?
They apologised when the Lions were robbed and the Cats were gifted the win. I guess Richardson wanted to even everything out.

The Big Richo

Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
yep. is it just because of it being in the last minute that they review? because it's 'controversial' ?
clubs should be able to ask clarification on any dodgy decision.
why is the Umpire Association sacrosanct ? ?

They do a full review on each match and the clubs have access to it, and they can and do seek specific advice often. I think the AFL just make it public when there is a high degree of interest in a certain decision.

A lot of subjectivity has been written into the rules over the last decade or so where umpires need to consider multiple things before making a call. That's the problem. The AFL for the most part can explain a free kick and a non-free kick for the same incident.

I agree it's a hard job, anytime you are asking an official to rule on things like intent, genuine action and the time of prior opportunity then there is going to be some subjectivity. Having said that the two most complained about decision (holding the ball and deliberate out of bounds) are at opposite ends of that scale so removing the grey area doesn't always help.
Personally I don't agree there are many incidents at all that can go either way, I think that's a small field.

But what is incontestable is that RFC had been at the bottom of the freekick differential for so long but no one can explain why, choosing instead to ignore the stat or claiming it's meaningless. We were at the bottom when we were *smile*, and now when we're the best we're still at the bottom. We obviously don't play the same game style but no matter what, the stats show we have the worst differential.

That's one of those statements that build this sense of frustration with umpiring without being based in fact. It's a bit like the old 'we never get paid those'.

Yes, we have been last in free kick differential in 2017, 2019, 2020 and so far in 2021. In 2018 we were 13th.

But in 2016 we were 10th, in 2015 we were 2nd, 2014 we were 9th, 2013 we were 7th, and in 2012 we were 4th.

I don't think anyone would argue that there wasn't a clear change in the way we played the game from 2017 onwards and it is matched by a clear change in the free kicks differential in our games.

It must be because the supporters don't understand the rules.

Read back through the discussion on the Woods decision and you will see that further education is required.

Did he have prior opportunity? No. Was he legally tackled? Yes. Did he make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball when he was able to? Yes.

Under the rules, the only place that can possibly take you is play on, yet you have the commentators calling for a free kick and fans going beserk with all sorts of theories that just don't fit the rules.

Dylan Grimes rushes a behind from inside the goal square and the commentators are calling for a free kick, yet the rule specifically says the action has to be greater than nine metres from goal. It's like a cricket commentator calling for a batsman to be dismissed one hand one bounce.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Anyone done a Pythagoras hypothenuse calculation on the kck? The behind goal vision with the benefit of the posts as markers would make it quite accurate.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
G
They do a full review on each match and the clubs have access to it, and they can and do seek specific advice often. I think the AFL just make it public when there is a high degree of interest in a certain decision.

I agree it's a hard job, anytime you are asking an official to rule on things like intent, genuine action and the time of prior opportunity then there is going to be some subjectivity. Having said that the two most complained about decision (holding the ball and deliberate out of bounds) are at opposite ends of that scale so removing the grey area doesn't always help.
Personally I don't agree there are many incidents at all that can go either way, I think that's a small field.

That's one of those statements that build this sense of frustration with umpiring without being based in fact. It's a bit like the old 'we never get paid those'.

Yes, we have been last in free kick differential in 2017, 2019, 2020 and so far in 2021. In 2018 we were 13th.

But in 2016 we were 10th, in 2015 we were 2nd, 2014 we were 9th, 2013 we were 7th, and in 2012 we were 4th.

I don't think anyone would argue that there wasn't a clear change in the way we played the game from 2017 onwards and it is matched by a clear change in the free kicks differential in our games.

Read back through the discussion on the Woods decision and you will see that further education is required.

Did he have prior opportunity? No. Was he legally tackled? Yes. Did he make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball when he was able to? Yes.

Under the rules, the only place that can possibly take you is play on, yet you have the commentators calling for a free kick and fans going beserk with all sorts of theories that just don't fit the rules.

Dylan Grimes rushes a behind from inside the goal square and the commentators are calling for a free kick, yet the rule specifically says the action has to be greater than nine metres from goal. It's like a cricket commentator calling for a batsman to be dismissed one hand one bounce.
Glad to be back doing your real job BR?