Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The Cats have some solid, well built players, have they got "The Weapon" back on the payroll?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
A throw is not a throw if it is a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball correctly. If you try and handball and miss then it is the same as attempting a kick and missing the ball.

Some consistency here would be good too.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
A throw is not a throw if it is a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball correctly. If you try and handball and miss then it is the same as attempting a kick and missing the ball.

Some consistency here would be good too.

DS
Joel throwood is the master of trying to handball and missing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I'll save you the trouble, a throw is always a throw:

I'm not really getting into the whole 'everyone is throwing it' stuff. It's too broad without specific examples to look at, from the opposition and from our players, who do throw it all the time as well even though it is never mentioned.

The guys have such good touch and quick hands now that it is almost impossible to adjudicate now. How often do the commentators call something a throw only to show it in slow motion and see a little touch on it? Or vice versa. We cannot possibly expect the umpires to pick up every single one, in traffic and at full speed, especially when the players are using it tactically. It would be pure guesswork.
How often do the commentators call something a throw then it isn't? Not often at all, rarely I'd say.

Cannot expect the umps to pick up every single one? Of course not! Nobody is suggesting that. That is a *smile* straw man. Nobody is expecting perfection. All other things aside, the amount of obvious throws that are let go is pathetic. Just pay a few and it stops, simple.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Geez. Watching the replay and honestly the umpiring is just appallingly biased. You’re crazy if you think otherwise.

Throwing the ball ? Hah hah hah. Selwood. Short goes “He threw it mate.” Then 30 seconds later Dalhous throws it in a tackle as well. Bews then throws it under pressure a couple of minutes later as well ...and then on and on it goes...

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
J Selwood, 4 frees for, 0 against.
I think he’s the clear leader of career free kicks ?

Not watching a hell of a lot of other games , however what I do watch, the consistency in the inconsistency of umpiring decisions is a horrible look for the games, again I don’t believe there’s any dodgy *smile* going on , it’s just our rules are way to open to interpretation which also covers umpires when a mistake that wasn’t a mistake is made. All you can hope is it evens out , however it appears the rub of the green is not rubbing our way

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
Watching the swans v Melbourne game yesterday and I just cannot believe what the game has become. This is just not football that I enjoy watching anymore. The non decisions for holding the man, in the back, throwing the ball, blocking, high hits and the list goes on, are just unbelievable. It was like watching a free for all. SHocking was being lauded for the rule changes earlier this year. The umpires can’t even get the basics right and then they bring in these ridiculous rules. I am not inclined to get in the car, drive for two plus hours to get down to watch this garbage. AFL can’t even hang on to it’s director of umpiring - bet he walked out cos he was getting over ruled by the ever unbiased AFL.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
How often do the commentators call something a throw then it isn't? Not often at all, rarely I'd say.

Cannot expect the umps to pick up every single one? Of course not! Nobody is suggesting that. That is a *smile* straw man. Nobody is expecting perfection. All other things aside, the amount of obvious throws that are let go is pathetic. Just pay a few and it stops, simple.
The commentators on Friday night did mention the free kick disparity, Brayshaw in particular referenced it a few times, hopefully they continue to do it. Umpires, like players, may say they don’t read or pay attention to media, but they do. All of them in 7 also called Selwood for the throw when he was on his back.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Watching the swans v Melbourne game yesterday and I just cannot believe what the game has become. This is just not football that I enjoy watching anymore. The non decisions for holding the man, in the back, throwing the ball, blocking, high hits and the list goes on, are just unbelievable. It was like watching a free for all. SHocking was being lauded for the rule changes earlier this year. The umpires can’t even get the basics right and then they bring in these ridiculous rules. I am not inclined to get in the car, drive for two plus hours to get down to watch this garbage. AFL can’t even hang on to it’s director of umpiring - bet he walked out cos he was getting over ruled by the ever unbiased AFL.
I was totally frustrated by the game as well, it looks like *smile*. Melbourne have become better but the game is woeful. The amount of set structures in front of the ball are ruinous for the game, the amount of frees melbourne get for diving and then not afforded to Sydney is unbelievable. Argh.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Geez. Watching the replay and honestly the umpiring is just appallingly biased. You’re crazy if you think otherwise.

Throwing the ball ? Hah hah hah. Selwood. Short goes “He threw it mate.” Then 30 seconds later Dalhous throws it in a tackle as well. Bews then throws it under pressure a couple of minutes later as well ...and then on and on it goes...
Well the AFL and the media wanted to set the football free.

At the ground you could see it a mile away. Reckon throwood through it at least 3 times.

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
The latest one is the " intent to keep the ball in plya", obviously the AFL is getting closer to last man touching it then free kick to the oppo. North bloke m ran out of the centre, got to 70m metre out, had a ping, missed, ump called no intention. UNBELIEVEABLE. To put it in context it was like Costagna on friday night shooting and hitting the wrong side of the ball. The more they AFL want to speed up the game, the more they make it worse

Reactions: 4 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Well the AFL and the media wanted to set the football free.

At the ground you could see it a mile away. Reckon throwood through it at least 3 times.
In the first qtr?
They were throwing it non stop in the first qtr.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
This would be the worse standard of umpiring ive seen in over 45 years of watching this game.
There is not one game ive watched this year that the commentators haven't commented on decisions during the game.
I hate port Adelaide and in 10 minutes of watching that shiit derby last night, Port got paid 4 free kicks to 0 and all 4 were dodgy.

And then they wonder why people aren't turning up

Reactions: 6 users

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
Funny watch some local footy and i reckon 90% of the time ya agree with the decision/s it aint that hard. Fast forward to AFL, ( supposedley the highest level, and i have no idea what may or may not happen

Reactions: 9 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I think he’s the clear leader of career free kicks ?

Not watching a hell of a lot of other games , however what I do watch, the consistency in the inconsistency of umpiring decisions is a horrible look for the games, again I don’t believe there’s any dodgy *smile* going on , it’s just our rules are way to open to interpretation which also covers umpires when a mistake that wasn’t a mistake is made. All you can hope is it evens out , however it appears the rub of the green is not rubbing our way
He’s leading the frees for this season at 25. Patty Cripps next with 19, Grundy 19 and Greene 18, Merrett, Wright, Goldstein on 16

Frees against has Grundy on 21, Zorko 19, Fyfe 18, Bailey 18, Marlion 17 , Atkins, Aarts 16 and Nankervis 15.