Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
These push in the backs when the player drops their arms and the player falls into their backs is a blight on the game. The masters of it (the dogs) just got another through Hunter.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
These push in the backs when the player drops their arms and the player falls into their backs is a blight on the game. The masters of it (the dogs) just got another through Hunter.
Those two in the back frees in a row were outrageous - the first one especially. Just the worst umpired league. That’s just amateur hour.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The AFL continues to reward dishonest footballers. It actually incentivises them.

Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The AFL continues to reward dishonest footballers. It actually incentivises them.

Dishonest is the best word for it. Channel 7 commentators call it experience. You could see Hunter just wait for that small contact from behind and then pull his arms back in so that he falls forward and gravity would bring Saad down onto him. Its blatant cheating but allowed all the time.

Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I think it’s cheating. Kosi Pickett is really good at it. It’s so easy to fix, too. Stop paying them and they’ll stop doing it.

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016

It’s so annoying. They’re told to be corporate lawyers instead of spiritual guardians.

If I was in charge, I’d direct the umpires to study the footage and trust their instincts if they think a player has attempted to manufacture a free kick that otherwise would not have existed, then pay a free kick against that player for performing an action that’s “not in the spirit of the game”.

Spirit of the game free kicks are already in the rule book, so it would just be a reminder of the spirit in which the layman AFL fan already expects the game to be umpired.

Players would stop training to exploit loopholes in the rules because a good umpire will punish them. If not right away, it will show up in the free kick stats, footage will be studied, and then the umpires would be onto it. The amount of time it would take to perfect a technique to realistically manufacture a free kick would seem like a waste if players know they’ll quickly be punished and embarrassed. The result would be less effort going into exploiting loopholes, less dishonesty, and happier fans of all clubs (even Geelong... they’d probably love it if Joel wasn’t incentivised to sacrifice his reputation like he does)

Reactions: 1 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I think it’s cheating. Kosi Pickett is really good at it. It’s so easy to fix, too. Stop paying them and they’ll stop doing it.
You need umpires with a feel for the game. Unfortunately they're in short supply.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I've been saying for years they should approach smart state league/suburban footballers and offer them good money to become umpires.

Reactions: 5 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I've been saying for years they should approach smart state league/suburban footballers and offer them good money to become umpires.
Or even former players who were cut before retirement age like Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis for example.

Reactions: 1 user

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Vo
Nailed it

Kosi should be in the Shai/Cyril category of super skilled player that gets people through the gates

But he's on the trajectory of diving, staging cheat.

I can't stand him

Reactions: 5 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Just watched the first half of the Carlton versus wb game. With the disclaimer that Carlton are my second team, that is the worst exhibition of umpiring i have seen. Focusing on individual decisions is folly. I challenge anybody to watch that half of football and argue that the rules of the game and their weekly implementation are not a complete mess.

In my opinion the umps are using way too much of their concentration on all the new rules and interpretations and are consequently stuffing up the basics. For example the hands in the back rule has changed a number of times, and then they payed a free for somebody (Betts?) literally just touching another player on the back. "Smiling" joke.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Just watched the first half of the Carlton versus wb game. With the disclaimer that Carlton are my second team, that is the worst exhibition of umpiring i have seen. Focusing on individual decisions is folly. I challenge anybody to watch that half of football and argue that the rules of the game and their weekly implementation are not a complete mess.

In my opinion the umps are using way too much of their concentration on all the new rules and interpretations and are consequently stuffing up the basics. For example the hands in the back rule has changed a number of times, and then they payed a free for somebody (Betts?) literally just touching another player on the back. "Smiling" joke.
I think any free kick to Carlton is a mistake, except for out-of-bounds on the full. And even then they should have a video review to check if it was touched.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

The worst thing about Rosebury’s free against Betts is that he pointed to or patted his bum to suggest that Betts had pushed him out with his bum. How the *** does anyone push somebody in the back with their bum unless they’re 8ft tall ??? It was Eddie Betts - the smallest bloke on the ground !

Just an absolute shocker that had no reason to be paid and was rightly panned by the commentators.

Rosebury is perhaps one of the better umpires, but that was a total howler by him.

Reactions: 1 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The real issue is that nearly every umpire bends us over.
In previous years it was only Deboy or Bannister

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
The worst thing about Rosebury’s free against Betts is that he pointed to or patted his bum to suggest that Betts had pushed him out with his bum. How the *** does anyone push somebody in the back with their bum unless they’re 8ft tall ??? It was Eddie Betts - the smallest bloke on the ground !

Just an absolute shocker that had no reason to be paid and was rightly panned by the commentators.

Rosebury is perhaps one of the better umpires, but that was a total howler by him.
They patt there ass to show they taking the mark and for the next umpire to move into position.
Not because he was showing Betts the issue

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
They patt there ass to show they taking the mark and for the next umpire to move into position.
Not because he was showing Betts the issue
Fair enough. Not sure how the umpire down the field could see that though given the ball was going left and he was patting on the right.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I should have said how often does a slow motion replay show a little touch that is impossible to pick up live. I'd say quite a bit.
Problem is that a lot of those tiny insignificant little touches often cause the ball to fly through the air for several metres. It's still not a handball, it's a *smile* throw, simply because all of the trajectory of the ball is caused by the hand supporting the ball and not the hand that is supposedly punching the ball.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That and punters growing up and stopping the relentless abuse of them would be the two best ways to improve umpiring in my opinion.
If they constantly do such a pathetic job, then they're entitled to a bit of a gee up from the outer.