Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Thought I'd spend my last day of Quarantine productively by doing an analysis of the umpiring from Friday night.

Just how bad was it?

Quarter 1:

The first quarter finishes with a 7-2 free kick count Geelong's way. 8 of the 9 are stock standard free kicks, the other is a high contact on Vlastuin which we don't get an angle to see clearly.

Of interest we give away 1 stupid free (Baker gets in way of ruck at throw in) and 3 stock standard high contacts from either poor technique or Nank clubbing blokes.

The other free kick breakdown is for 1 HTB, 1 High contact, against 2 HTB.

Where things get really interesting though is the stuff that isn't paid. We get away with 3 dead to rights holding the balls, on RCD in the back pocket, Pickett on our forward flank and Bolton out of the centre. There's also the dodgy handball from Martin to Aarts that is deemed no prior but he is right on the edge of trying to fend through the tackle.

The other way there is one that Selwood looks like he clearly throws (we don't get a close look but it looks pretty clear in real time).

Aside from that there is a couple of maybe/maybe not pushes from defenders but personally I'm happy with play on for all three, the most contentious is Balta using his hands on Cameron but they are all soft.

So there you have it, we lose a free kick count 7-2 but in reality it should have been 9-3 at best so we have actually had the better end of the decision making.

I'll do the rest of the quarters shortly but there has never been a better example of why free kick differentials are absolutely meaningless in terms of measuring umpires performance.
Facts are meaningless without video replays and 5 independent PREnders empanelled to adjudicate your mischievous opinions.
You must be related to the umpire fraternity somehow. Genes, DNA, by marriage or you’re just (respectfully) mentally unbalanced

Umpires are bastards.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Thought I'd spend my last day of Quarantine productively by doing an analysis of the umpiring from Friday night.

Just how bad was it?

Quarter 1:

The first quarter finishes with a 7-2 free kick count Geelong's way. 8 of the 9 are stock standard free kicks, the other is a high contact on Vlastuin which we don't get an angle to see clearly.

Of interest we give away 1 stupid free (Baker gets in way of ruck at throw in) and 3 stock standard high contacts from either poor technique or Nank clubbing blokes.

The other free kick breakdown is for 1 HTB, 1 High contact, against 2 HTB.

Where things get really interesting though is the stuff that isn't paid. We get away with 3 dead to rights holding the balls, on RCD in the back pocket, Pickett on our forward flank and Bolton out of the centre. There's also the dodgy handball from Martin to Aarts that is deemed no prior but he is right on the edge of trying to fend through the tackle.

The other way there is one that Selwood looks like he clearly throws (we don't get a close look but it looks pretty clear in real time).

Aside from that there is a couple of maybe/maybe not pushes from defenders but personally I'm happy with play on for all three, the most contentious is Balta using his hands on Cameron but they are all soft.

So there you have it, we lose a free kick count 7-2 but in reality it should have been 9-3 at best so we have actually had the better end of the decision making.

I'll do the rest of the quarters shortly but there has never been a better example of why free kick differentials are absolutely meaningless in terms of measuring umpires performance.
We have some serial offenders in vlaustin aarts and nankervis that give away too many stupid ones. Would count for some of the continual negative Balanice. Pickett on my watch list but seems to have sorted it out. Riewoldt also does it too with hands in back.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

Just how bad was it?

Quarter 1:
I made it 30 seconds into the game where McIntosh misreads the forwards and kicks to the top of the goal square without a Richmond player to be seen. Henry goes up uncontested and fists the ball through for a behind. Deliberate rushed behind from outside the legal range under no pressure.

Technical? Sure, but defensible if paid.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I made it 30 seconds into the game where McIntosh misreads the forwards and kicks to the top of the goal square without a Richmond player to be seen. Henry goes up uncontested and fists the ball through for a behind. Deliberate rushed behind from outside the legal range under no pressure.

Technical? Sure, but defensible if paid.
Gets paid in a ruck contest, but in a marking, erm non marking contest it's legal.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Well the AFL and the media wanted to set the football free.

At the ground you could see it a mile away. Reckon throwood through it at least 3 times.
Yeh, TBR reckons you can’t see the throws. I’d argue you can’t see the handballs.
And there are more players being pinged for throws and they can scarecly believe it when it happens. Some of their reactions are priceless.

Reactions: 1 user

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
These push in the backs when the player drops their arms and the player falls into their backs is a blight on the game. The masters of it (the dogs) just got another through Hunter.
He’s another crumpler. Such a dishonest and pissweak tactic. It’s rife at the dogs.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Gets paid in a ruck contest, but in a marking, erm non marking contest it's legal.
Two different rules. Doesn't matter what the situation is, you can't rush a behind from >9m out.

18.11.2 Free Kicks - Deliberate Rushed Behinds
A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team who intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line or Behind Line or onto one of the Attacking Team’s Goal Posts, and the Player:
(a) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line

Last edited:

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
I think it’s cheating. Kosi Pickett is really good at it. It’s so easy to fix, too. Stop paying them and they’ll stop doing it.
Yeh it’s essentially cheating. Pickett needs to have a look at Eddie Betts career. Never ever staged or sought a cheap free, always bet on his talent to win out. And most of the time it did. And he’s universally liked and admired. He should be picketts template.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Two different rules. Doesn't matter what the situation is, you can't rush a behind from >9m out unless under pressure.
Yep two different rules, in a ruck contest, it's not legal to thump the ball directly over the boundary. In a so called marking contest, it's legal to thump the ball directly over the boundary, happens dozens of times a game.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yep two different rules, in a ruck contest, it's not legal to thump the ball directly over the boundary. In a so called marking contest, it's legal to thump the ball directly over the boundary, happens dozens of times a game.
Yeah but we're talking about rushing a behind.

Clearly outside the 9m square.

2Duk7he.jpg

Here is rule in full. No dispensation for marking "contests".

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player from the Defending Team who intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the Attacking Team’s Goal Line or Behind Line or onto one of the Attacking Team’s Goal Posts, and the Player:
(a) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line;
(b) is not under immediate physical pressure;
(c) has had time and space to dispose of the football; or
(d) from a Ruck contest, hits the football over the Goal Line or Behind Line on the full.

Technically robbed.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah but we're talking about rushing a behind.

Clearly outside the 9m square.

2Duk7he.jpg

Here is rule in full. No dispensation for marking "contests".

(a) is greater than nine metres from the Goal Line or Behind Line;
(b) is not under immediate physical pressure;
(c) has had time and space to dispose of the football; or
(d) from a Ruck contest, hits the football over the Goal Line or Behind Line on the full.

Technically robbed.

Not facing the goals, hard to argue a deliberate rushed behind. Find better examples of "we wuz robbed", should be easy.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Not facing the goals, hard to argue a deliberate rushed behind. Find better examples of "we wuz robbed", should be easy.
When you watch the video, the punching motion is clearly intended to fist the ball behind him, not in front.

I'm not watching that sh!t in full again unless it's in the Complete Season Collection after we win the flag. But I did get as far as Menegola crab-walking on the mark at half back after McIntosh marks and being told to Stand! twice by the umpire instead of being penalised (17:50), McIntosh arm-chopped/over the shoulder outer wing (approx 15:00), Ross held and swung without the ball members' wing (approx. 12:30).

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The Ross one was soft but it's one umpires like to pay.

Do you disagree that Henry was more than 9m from the goal line? Or do you disagree that he intended to score a behind?

Exactly.

The ball is clearly between Henry's hand and the goal line - where else is he aiming to punch the ball?

Henry has a clear intention to hit the ball through the goals.

It is deliberate, he is more then 9m out and no Richmond player within cooee.

DS

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Exactly.

The ball is clearly between Henry's hand and the goal line - where else is he aiming to punch the ball?

Henry has a clear intention to hit the ball through the goals.

It is deliberate, he is more then 9m out and no Richmond player within cooee.

DS
I'm not outraged that it wasn't paid. But by the letter of the law it's a free kick, and half the problem as mentioned above is that umpires are operating strictly to the letter of the law. The AFL doesn't want them to have room to use discretion as it would allow them an out if corruption enters the ranks.